Trade Deadline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    We are the team who promotes SP from AA. U don't think that if we got him we wouldn't put him at Jax? 6-4 1.77ERA 15 Starts 76 innings and dominating the FSL

Like said he isn't ready today but by next July he could be?
    Could he be up sometime next year? Absolutely. Your previous post made it sound like that the Marlins would consider him MLB Ready right now. That certainly isn't the case.

Comment

Did tjfla just say that we could get Shea Simmons for Mike Dunn? Good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
        Did tjfla just say that we could get Shea Simmons for Mike Dunn? Good one.
        No he said that is who we SHOULD ASK for. Atlanta wants and needs a LRP bad and like Dunn. See if Atlanta bites on it

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
          I guess my question is, why do you believe this?
          Only because that abnormal of a change is abnormal. And 2% is incredibly low. Definitely don't think he's a 200 iso guy but should be closer to average rather than complete slap hitter.

Though Further enforcing your stance would be his improvement in bb/k, showing a change in approach

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
            So you would trade a productive player for a decent AA pitching prospect with no good, MLB ready replacement for him at 3rd base? I totally get the concept that you buy low and sell high, but a trade like that is crazy to me.

I'd much rather have McGehee, even if he was at .260 with 7 HR right now, manning 3rd for the next year or 2, then go back to the Lucas/Solano/whoever platoon again. Another Conley-type arm certainly isn't worth that...especially when we already have Conley. Why would we give up the only starting-caliber(and also super cheap) 3rd baseman in the organization above A-ball for an extra back-end of the rotation prospect? I just don't get the logic.
            Yea, I would trade a "productive" guy with a .369 BABIP (career .299), who is not making or breaking this team at all regardless if he is good or bad next year (they will live and die with the outfield, SP and Fernandez being healthy in July), and use the $3.5+ million not paying him next year on a reasonable alternative. I am much more interested with creating a longterm winner and taking chances on Adam Conleys and Jose Urenas turning into # 4 SP and above average RP then vagabond veterans having production spikes. Not to mention, maybe they could get a little more for him as the market just got better with Headley moving.

Also, you guys may hate him, but Moran has been hitting .330 in Jupiter since June 1 and a AA call up is for sure coming by the end of the year if he continues this into August. With the way they promote guys, and given Moran was one of the closest to MLB ready prospects in last years draft, the writing is on the wall that July 1, 2015 he is the starting 3B. Just another reason why they don't need McGehee and why saying "only guy above A-Ball" is not really they scenario here.

This is an unarguable buy low sell high. It's not going to get better for Casey and means little to nothing longterm to the Marlins for the rest of this year and next. Shipping out him, Cishek, Dunn, Jones, and Baker and eating little payroll, is going to save them roughly $20 million in real salary and expected arbitration next year, and they can use that money to buy a 3/$20 2B/SS for a few years, and receive the 4-6 young players which project to actually be here when the Fernandez/Heaney/Kolek/Yelich/Moran/Ozuna core is hopefully rocking in 2017.

As for Stanton, he is never going to sign here at this point so trying to keep him happy is pointless. Once Fernandez went down, this became a sell year.

Comment

2017 is gonna be our year, boys.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                Only because that abnormal of a change is abnormal. And 2% is incredibly low. Definitely don't think he's a 200 iso guy but should be closer to average rather than complete slap hitter.

Though Further enforcing your stance would be his improvement in bb/k, showing a change in approach
                This is my thinking. He has eschewed power for contact, which would explain his season pretty perfectly.
                poop

Comment

I'm trying to think of other examples where a player with decent power, (McGehee was about a 15-20 HR guy in previous MLB seasons, 28 HRs last year in Japan) all of a sudden loses almost all that power, but his other peripherals improved across the board. I think McGehee has changed his approach to a degree, and it's more likely that the walks and strikeouts may be sustainable, but for a guy whose been playing baseball all his life to all of a sudden completely flip the kind of hitter he is at age 30 just doesn't happen. I have to think eventually the Average will come down (see BABIP) and the HR #'s will slowly creep back to his normals.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                    Yea, I would trade a "productive" guy with a .369 BABIP (career .299), who is not making or breaking this team at all regardless if he is good or bad next year (they will live and die with the outfield, SP and Fernandez being healthy in July), and use the $3.5+ million not paying him next year on a reasonable alternative. I am much more interested with creating a longterm winner and taking chances on Adam Conleys and Jose Urenas turning into # 4 SP and above average RP then vagabond veterans having production spikes. Not to mention, maybe they could get a little more for him as the market just got better with Headley moving.

Also, you guys may hate him, but Moran has been hitting .330 in Jupiter since June 1 and a AA call up is for sure coming by the end of the year if he continues this into August. With the way they promote guys, and given Moran was one of the closest to MLB ready prospects in last years draft, the writing is on the wall that July 1, 2015 he is the starting 3B. Just another reason why they don't need McGehee and why saying "only guy above A-Ball" is not really they scenario here.

This is an unarguable buy low sell high. It's not going to get better for Casey and means little to nothing longterm to the Marlins for the rest of this year and next. Shipping out him, Cishek, Dunn, Jones, and Baker and eating little payroll, is going to save them roughly $20 million in real salary and expected arbitration next year, and they can use that money to buy a 3/$20 2B/SS for a few years, and receive the 4-6 young players which project to actually be here when the Fernandez/Heaney/Kolek/Yelich/Moran/Ozuna core is hopefully rocking in 2017.

As for Stanton, he is never going to sign here at this point so trying to keep him happy is pointless. Once Fernandez went down, this became a sell year.
                    Agreed with every single word typed above.

Comment

Moran is exactly what the Marlins thought he was just like Kris Bryant is what they thought he was. Bryant was the power 3B and Moran was the 300 average doubles 3B

As for McGehee and Jones,1 reason they probably won't get dealt is because the value around the league is not high at all. The FO would rather sign/extend McGehee and have a 3B until Moran is ready. Jones is seen as a left handed bench bat who pulls everything. THey would bring nothing really in return

Comment

Maybe McGehee's value is getting better? I know NYY called and was offering Solarte and a low level pitcher(Not DePaula) pretty much what they gave for Headley.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...are-interested

Comment

Maybe McGehee's value is getting better?...
                          Aren't you suppose to know the answer to that question? Aren't you a MLB insider?

Comment

Marlins again interested in A's reliever Jim Johnson?
                            ATLANTA -- Though they failed to pull the trigger on an earlier deal for A's reliever Jim Johnson, it appears the the Marlins continue to remain interested in Oakland's struggling former closer, according to sources. One player the A's have discussed with the Marlins as a possible trade return: Marlins minor league pitching prospect Adam Conley.
                            After posting 50-save seasons each of the previous two years for Baltimore, Johnson (see stats here) hasn't come close to matching his success in Oakland, which landed him in a trade with the Orioles in December but would now like to trade him before the July 31 deadline. Johnson has a 6.25 ERA and only two saves in 37 relief appearances for the A's, eventually losing the closer's role to Sean Doolittle.
                            Conley, the Marlins' second-round pick in 2011, has struggled this season at Triple A New Orleans. The left-hander has gone 3-5 with a 6.00 ERA in 12 games (11 starts). Conley missed some time earlier this season with elbow tendinitis.
                            According to Ken Rosenthal of Foxsports.com, the Marlins and A's nearly had a deal in place early last month for Johnson. The Marlins would have sent their Competitive Balance pick in the draft (No. 39 overall) to the A's for Johnson, according to Rosenthal, before shifting gears and sending that pick to Pittsburgh for Bryan Morris, instead. The Marlins used the money the saved on that pick to sign Kevin Gregg.

Johnson is making $10 million this season, after which he becomes eligible for free agency.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_...#storylink=cpy
                            Miami Herald

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                              I get what you are saying. I just think it something that sort of sounds better in theory. Tell me where you are finding someone at 3rd that would be an upgrade on McGehee at the $3.5ish million price point. If there's someone out there, then I'd be all for it, but this is the list of free agent 3rd basemen:

Yuniesky Betancourt (33)
                              Alberto Callaspo (32)
                              Eric Chavez (37)
                              Jack Hannahan (35) – $4MM club option with a $2MM buyout
                              Chase Headley (31)
                              Donnie Murphy (32)
                              Nick Punto (37) – $2.75MM club/vesting option with a $250k buyout
                              Aramis Ramirez (37) – mutual option
                              Hanley Ramirez (31)
                              Pablo Sandoval (28)
                              Ty Wigginton (37)
                              Kevin Youkilis (36)

In general, I actually agree with your logic...I just don't agree with trading McGehee, at least for what he would likely bring back in return. I think to build a long-term winner, you need to have some guys like him. You can't continue to flip guys for mid-tier prospects. There's a benefit for this organization to not tank the rest of the year. They have to create a better culture and try to build a fan base. Constantly trading productive players doesn't do that, especially when the hope is he may bring back a potential #4 in a few years.
                              Last edited by fauowls44; 07-22-2014, 08:01 PM.

Comment

The Adam Conley for Jim Johnson thing can't be real, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X