No announcement yet.

Ugh . . . Pending Fire Sale Before July 31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "That guy nearly had Tommy John surgery and missed 3 months a year ago with an elbow sprain + the way he pitches very well could be deemed illegal this offseason" seem like two decent reasons to consider him riskier than most long term. Even riskier than most guys who throw lasers. Some time bombs can tick faster than others. It's not a binary thing.

I'm fine with hanging on to him, because he's one of the best relievers in baseball. I also think one of the best relievers in baseball is a luxury on a Non-contending team, and could realistically have more value as a trade chip.
    poop

Comment

• And that core doesn't do anything without trading for Juan Pierre, signing Ivan Rodriguez, or acquiring Dontrelle Willis.

And Urbina was very important down the stretch and in the playoffs. Come on.

Comment

• Everything is true but the point remains this front office has never been able to put a complete team together.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
          I don't really understand the point your trying to make here. He probably made more appearances because he wasn't strictly a closer for us.
          My point is, I don't think the difference between us making the postseason in 2003 and not was a pitcher that was pretty much a set-up man. I understand the bullpen ace type role, but he didn't fill that for most of his time here anyway. He was a middle relief pitcher until about the middle of September and while he was damn good at it, he wasn't the most necessary piece of the equation for a team that had strong pitching in the rotation and bullpen anyway.
          Last edited by thatnewguy; 08-01-2015, 12:08 AM.

Comment

• Don't forget the August acquisition of Conine...
            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• 2015 Site Slogan: "Hey Guys, At Least We're 2.5 Games In Front Of The Phillies!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay View Post
                Can't we just say any pitcher not throwing like Jamie Moyer is a ticking time bomb?
                And we can probably assume any smart managing will not take place in the marlins dugout.
                Jamie Moyer had Tommy John surgery toward the end of his career.
                Originally posted by Madman81
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• The Urbina trade was good using hindsight because we won the world series. But it was a pretty stupid move still. Urbina had a 4.19 ERA with the Rangers at the time

Comment

• Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                    The Urbina trade was good using hindsight because we won the world series. But it was a pretty stupid move still. Urbina had a 4.19 ERA with the Rangers at the time
                    Ok, and Gonzalez was OPSing under .600 in the PCL and Jason Stokes was knocking the cover off the ball. It was a fine trade at the time.
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                      Ok, and Gonzalez was OPSing under .600 in the PCL and Jason Stokes was knocking the cover off the ball. It was a fine trade at the time.
                      Gonzalez was still a top prospect in baseball and the Marlins sent two other prospects for Urbina. I'm sorry, it was not a good deal at the time, just because they won the world series. If Steve Bartman doesn't happen, everyone's opinion of that trade changes.

Comment

• Urbina was also instrumental in remaking that bullpen. Marlins don't make the playoffs without him or Chad Fox coming in and solidifying what was a very shaky bullpen.

Current group deserves some credit for 2003. They signed Pudge, acquired Pierre, and tried to sign Roger Clemens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Party View Post
                          Urbina was also instrumental in remaking that bullpen. Marlins don't make the playoffs without him or Chad Fox coming in and solidifying what was a very shaky bullpen.

Current group deserves some credit for 2003. They signed Pudge, acquired Pierre, and tried to sign Roger Clemens.
                          I'm not disagreeing that it was not worth the world series. It was still a massive overpay for a rental.

Comment

• Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                            Gonzalez was still a top prospect in baseball and the Marlins sent two other prospects for Urbina. I'm sorry, it was not a good deal at the time, just because they won the world series. If Steve Bartman doesn't happen, everyone's opinion of that trade changes.
                            2003 also reset stadium negotiations with the City and County. The playoff appearance alone saved baseball in Miami.

Comment

• Originally posted by Party View Post
                              2003 also reset stadium negotiations with the City and County. The playoff appearance alone saved baseball in Miami.
                              I'm not disagreeing with any of that.

But the Marlins were 48-46, 11.5 games out of the NL East, 4th in the division, and 5th in the wild card, albeit 4.5 games out. It was an overpay still.

Comment

• http://m.mlb.com/news/article/2068415/

Comment

Working...
                                X