Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Round CB-A | Matt Krook | LHP | St. Ignatius HS (CA) | WILL NOT SIGN/FAILED PHYSICAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round CB-A | Matt Krook | LHP | St. Ignatius HS (CA) | WILL NOT SIGN/FAILED PHYSICAL

Discuss.
    --------------------
    Committed to Oregon...may have signability issues
    --------------------
    There are a good number of high school lefties in the 2013 Draft class, and Krook was one who was rising up to catch up with some of the others who had been closer to the top of Draft boards. The NoCal product has some serious arm strength, touching 94 mph with his fastball, and there's projection for more in the tank as he matures. He throws a curve and a changeup, and both have the chance to be at least Major League average pitches in the future, though both are inconsistent right now. So is his command, and he hasn't always maintained his velocity deep into starts. Krooks' size, arm strength and projectability should keep scouts interested all spring.
    -mlb
    Last edited by emkayseven; 06-06-2013, 09:40 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

He aint gonna sign...

Comment

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?topic_id=4...nt_id=25883019
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Scouting Grades* (present/future): Fastball: 5/6 | Curve 5/6 | Changeup: 3/5 | Control: 3/5 | Overall: 4/5
        From Mayo: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2013/ can't link directly to his profile

Comment

I would've thought after grabbing Moran we would've drafted somebody here who would be easy to sign.

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s83Rdad0yKg[/ame]

Comment

A hard-throwing lefty out of Northern California, prep pitcher Matt Krook could be considered one of the biggest risers in this year's draft. Armed with legitimate size for an MLB starter and a fastball that reportedly touches 94 miles per hour, Krook provides a combination of physical tools and skills that's often targeted by teams in the first round.

While his fastball is still clearly the best pitch in his arsenal -- MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo notes his offspeed pitches lack consistency at this point -- there's enough projection in his other offerings to believe he can handle a big league lineup multiple times through with some development.

At this point, Krook is like most prep lefties that enter the draft, a puzzle of potential that tends to reveal itself in fits and starts. Still, 18-year-old lefties that can pitch in the mid-90s don't exactly grow on trees, making the California native a top prospect for this month's draft.

What they're saying

Jonathan Mayo, MLB.com: "There are a good number of high school lefties in the 2013 Draft class, and Krook was one who was rising up to catch up with some of the others who had been closer to the top of Draft boards."
              Allan Simpson, Baseball Prospectus: "Created a lot of buzz by touching 95 in early season outing. Prototype body and quality curveball."
              Scouts Inc., ESPN: "At 6-foot-4, 195 pounds, he's got a lot of room to fill out and get his velocity consistently into the low to mid-90s. You also can't teach a kid to have that spin on a curveball. For a team that likes high-upside high school arms, Krook's the best lefty in the draft."
              http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/6/3...couting-report
              "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
              - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

I hope he signs.

Comment

Just read an article on the Miami Herald. Krook says he's ready to play pro ball and he wants to get his career started. Looks like he's signing after all!
                  --------------------
                  Marlins draft pick LHP Matt Krook says he's ready to play pro ball
                  SECAUCUS, N.J. -- Left-handed pitcher Matt Krook, the Marlins' second overall pick in the Thursday's draft, said signing with the Marlins probably won't be a problem.

An Oregon commitment, it was thought the 6-4, 210-pound high schooler from the San Francisco area was a heavy lean toward going to college. But he said otherwise Thursday.

"I love Oregon, love the coaches up there, but I think at this point I'm ready to play pro ball," Krook said. "I just want to get my career started. Both me and [advisor Matt Sosnick] knew what it would take to decide and it fell in the range."
                  Sosnick is also the agent for Marlins pitcher Ricky Nolasco.

Krook said he averages 92, 93 miles per hour on his fastball and tops out at 95. He also throws a curveball, slider and change. He grew up a Giants fan and patterns his game after Clayton Kershaw and Matt Cain.

Posted by Manny Navarro at 11:44 PM | Permalink

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_...#storylink=cpy
                  Miami Herald
                  Last edited by Big Z; 06-06-2013, 10:49 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I wonder if Sosnick had any sway in Krook ending up in Miami. He has some serious sway with athletes down here.

EDIT: I like the word sway.
                    Last edited by dim; 06-06-2013, 11:01 PM.

Comment

But he hates the Marlins.

Comment

I think it has to do more with Nolasco hating the Marlins, than Sosnick.

Luckily Nolasco's relationship with the fish should be coming to an end soon. I can't wait.

Comment

I think his douchiest moment was w JJ.

Comment

Hope they can sign this kid

Comment

Background

While Krook was a relatively known commodity as a left-handed-hitting outfielder after last spring, it wasn’t until the 2012 Area Code Games that he opened eyes with his ability on the mound.

Since then, the 6’4”, 195-pound left-hander has blossomed into one of the top left-handers in the 2013 draft class.
                              Always regarded as an excellent athlete, Krook has begun to grow into his lanky frame and, more importantly, has developed a legitimate feel for pitching. As a result, his velocity has been up this spring and secondary offerings much improved.

The only concern with Krook is his strong commitment to the University of Oregon—a program with a solid track record of players honoring their commitment. But given his upside, there’s still a chance he’ll be drafted high enough to consider signing.

Full Scouting Report

Note: Numerical scores are on the conventional 80-point scouting scale, with the current score first and projected score second.

Body/Mechanics:

Impressive athleticism in 6’4”, 195-pound frame; room to add strength; relatively new to the mound with strong track record as an outfielder; good drive and body control throughout delivery; creates natural deception; inconsistent arm slot and release point; can get out-of-sync quickly; a lot of room for improvement with experience.

Fastball: 50/60

Works consistently in the low-90s; pitch has some weight and late life when located down in the zone; tops out around 94-95 mph; stands to benefit from more arm-side action.

Curveball: 60/65

Underrated and one of the best in the draft class; thrown with good arm speed; high release creates tight spin; hammer with downer bite; swing-and-miss offering.

Changeup: 40/50

Pitch is present but undeveloped due to lack of experience; lacks consistency and feel; tends to push it to the arm side; average potential.

Control: 40/50

Inconsistent mechanics, release point; can dominate when around the plate or be a walk machine when off; athleticism and limited experience will lead to inevitable improvement.

Command: 40/50

Can carve up opposing hitters throughout strike zone when body and delivery are working together; highly effective when pounding lower portion of strike zone with fastball; generates lots of ugly swings when working low; as with his control, there’s a lot of room for improvement.

MLB Player Comparison: Chris Sale

Projection: High-end No. 2 starter.

MLB ETA: 2017

Chances of Signing: 40 percent
                              http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...5-overall-pick

hope we can sign him

Comment

Working...
                              X