X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
    Why are you sad about that?
    I'm sad in general that the dream is dead. Not about the LF aspect.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
      Betts had a 1.9 WAR in 52 games.

Alvarez had a 2.2 WAR last year, and a 1.9 (17 starts) the year before.

It is a no brainer.
      1.9 WAR in 52 games

v.

2.2 WAR in 30 games

Seems to be the only "no brainer" about what you're saying is that you aren't actually using your brain.
      STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• Someone calling Lou stupid. Now I've seen it all.

Comment

• [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMp54ZXZFFs[/ame]

Comment

• Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
            1.9 WAR in 52 games

v.

2.2 WAR in 30 games

Seems to be the only "no brainer" about what you're saying is that you aren't actually using your brain.
            So your argument is, because Henderson Alvarez - a starting pitcher - has more WAR than Betts - a position player - in 22 less "games", knowing that in a best case scenario Alvarez pitches 5 more "games" a year and Betts starts an extra 100 "games", Alvarez is a more valuable property than Betts based on this. We're ignoring Betts was on a 5.5-6 WAR pace last year, in his rookie season out of position, compared to Alvarez best year as a pro.

Is that the argument?

I need some clarification.

Comment

• I'm all in with Mookie Betts but I don't think a package where you biggest MLB return is Allen Craig is good enough if you're going to be trading all those players. Craig is now on the wrong side of 30 and his slugging numbers, OPS have been in decline since 2011 and last season he finally had bad enough offense to match his terrible defense. I'd obviously sign him over Garrett Jones every single day of my life but I don't think a package where your big returns are Betts and Craig is enough for 20% of your 40-man roster. Fact is, the Red Sox don't have much else.
              --------------------
              Trade for Hanley.
              Last edited by thatnewguy; 11-24-2014, 06:52 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• uhhhh yes?

Saying a guy is more valuable "because his WAR is higher, duh!" doesn't mean crap when you're comparing a pitcher to a hitter. If you could tell me that Betts' average WAR/game was more above average for hitters/fielders than Alvarez's WAR/game was for pitchers, then maybe you would have a colorable argument that would be debatable.

But to simply point to one number and say, "this one is bigger, therefore DUH," is a major oversimplification of what those numbers mean.

Basically you're saying that hitters are inherently more valuable to a team that pitchers because their WAR number can be higher. That's just plain dumb.
                STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• The sample size isn't sufficient but Betts seems to be similar to Yelich with a better BB/K ratio than Yelich. With that being said, if you could have Yelich and a player similar to Yelich at the top of your lineup, that's a very good start.

Say we don't give them Henderson. Betts automatically becomes our 2nd baseman for the next 5 years, so Kike isn't of use.

Given, what do you offer?

Eovaldi, Kike, Jones
                  Eovaldi and Cishek
                  Heaney?

I would love Betts on our team. Great job bringing his name up, Erick.

Comment

• Kike would be a very nice utility man, I think. No reason to get rid of him, and I doubt Boston would want him.
                    --------------------
                    Also WAR says Nate Eovaldi was our best SP by a wide margin. I think over reliance on that stat is kind of silly.
                    Last edited by HUGG; 11-24-2014, 07:27 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• @CraigMish: hearing @Marlins possible trade target in Reds SP Johnny Cueto
                      Twitter

This tweet says nothing but it's something nonetheless lol

Comment

• Cueto is a bad motherfucker.
                        --------------------
                        I would love Mookie Betts

But Alvarez, Cishek, Dunn, Salty, and Jones for Betts, Middlebrooks and Craig is terrible.
                        Last edited by HUGG; 11-24-2014, 07:33 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I don't want to be "that guy" but I think looking at a WAR number slightly higher than another WAR number and using that as the end all be all of everything is pretty silly.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                            Cueto is a bad motherfucker.
                            --------------------
                            I would love Mookie Betts

But Alvarez, Cishek, Dunn, Salty, and Jones for Betts, Middlebrooks and Craig is terrible.
                            Yeah man, I agree.

Cueto is sick but would you give up Heaney + for a year of Cueto? Because you know for damn sure we won't resign him.

Comment

• Yes, I would.

Comment

• Heaney was really underwhelming in his stint, wasnt he? Hate to say it but I saw what I would call the "Andrew Miller" syndrome in him. I can't exactly say what that is, just a feeling that he isn't all that great. But it's a small sample so huge benefit of the doubt.
                                STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Working...
                                X