Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marlins Interest in Cuban 2nd Baseman Jose Fernandez?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Interest in Cuban 2nd Baseman Jose Fernandez?

Looks like we might pass on Tomas and instead look at the 2 Cuban 2B instead.Tomas looks like he might cost 100 mill or more

I have not looked on mlbrumors yet like I usually do!!! BUT talk is the FO would rather have one of them for cheaper at 2B then Tomas who would likely be 100 million and play 1B. Even tho they think they need a upgrade at 1B-they are also ok with a Jones,Bour,Dietrich,Baker combo again if needed. They would prefer to get 1 of the Cuban guys at 2B to replace Solano(Solano would move back to the UT role and also let Hits play some 1B)

The better of them is Jose Fernandez who just defected today

Marlins Interest in Cuban 2nd Baseman Jose Fernandez?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/1...z-defects.html

Cuban second baseman Jose Fernandez has defected, Jon Morosi of FOX Sports reports on Twitter. He will seek a big league contract, says Morosi, though of course he must first qualify for free agency...

.....Fernandez is considered a legitimate big league prospect who could potentially be signed as an immediate everyday option....

As Badler wrote back in August, Fernandez is among the three best Cuban ballplayers who are currently unavailable to MLB teams. According to Badler, Fernandez is an on-base machine with an advanced approach and contact skills. (Remarkably, he struck out only ten times in 314 trips to the plate last year.) You’ll want to read Badler’s full report, of course, for a detailed account. Though a highly developed player, Fernandez does come with some warts, including an unconventional swing, tendency to hit grounders, and below-average speed and power tools. And his defense is described as merely adequate.

In sum, it seems fair to say that Fernandez is less a flashy, toolsy prospect with a wide expected performance bracket than he is a reliable, high-floor target. By way of comparison, fellow recent defector Hector Olivera — also a second baseman — rated sixth on Badler’s list. Though he seems to offer more a somewhat more explosive offensive repertoire, he is also older and comes with an injury history.

As I explained recently with regard to Olivera, Fernandez will not be available to sign immediately. First, he will have to establish residency in another country....
    Could the Marlins have interest in this guy?

If this would be better in the offseason thread, feel free to move it.
    Last edited by rmc523; 10-15-2014, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Comment

Jose Fernandez(2b) apparently struck out 10 times in 300 something AB and had a .482 OBP last year.

Scouting says little power, "ok" defensively, hits a lot of grounders, and is a high floor guy, but that kind of OBP could make him instantly a good regular. 6 2B with over 400 PA had over a .340 OBP last year, and four of them (Cano, Altuve, Dozier, Walker) had negative defensive stats on fan graphs. Lowest WAR on the bunch was 3.7, but obviously those guys and the other two (Kendrick, Zobrist) so some other things pretty well.

Even conservatively, he's probably a 2.5+ WAR player if he has an OBP/SLUG at .350+, plays neutral D, and isn't embarrassing on bath paths. That's a huge decrease in OBP even comparing Cuban leagues to US. That should translate somewhat.

Pretty interesting. Can't see hysterical bidding on a non-power option or potential front line starting pitcher. If they sign a decent # 3 SP, then trade Cishek/Eovaldi for a good longterm corner player at 1B/3B, team looks pretty good.

Comment

I LOLed at Mainge
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I won't believe this until I see both Jose Fernandez's in the same room. This seems like an obvious ploy by Scott Boras to get Fernandez more money.

Comment

Still looking like we will pass on Tomas but with all the Cuban 2B on the market-3 of them now,don't be suprised if we go slow in signing 1 of them.

They like all 3 of them with 2 of the 3 ML Ready

Comment

Working...
              X