Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sandroimbuto
    Now we are calling viejita a liar?
    Yes. Or an exaggeration of the truth. Maybe he got $70 once for some bowl game or National Championship.

I can count on one hand the number of sporting events I'd pay $70 to park at.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandroimbuto
      All but 50 million are tourist tax dollars. City of Miami contribution is not tourist tax.

http://miami.marlins.mlb.com/news/ar...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
      --------------------
      And that's IF tourist taxes can cover the repayments, which is not guaranteed at all.
      The growth rates in tourist tax revenue that the County assumed were below the historical rates. It even assumed a prolonged recession and they still are surpassing those figures.

Comment

Originally posted by mbitcronod12 View Post
        I think I know what that means if "mierda" is the Spanish form of "merde".
        I always thought the Spanish form of "merde" was "volstado."

Comment

I don't think the viejita is lying. The smallest UM crowds were what 45,000 people? That's 9,000 more people than Marlins Park on its best day. Remove the parking garages and you have even more people parking in the neighborhood. I can see the demand.

Comment

There were smaller crowds than 45,000. Some instances saw like 35k-37k

Comment

The Hurricanes left the Orange Bowl before the stadium deal was even close to being done right? They were leaving whether there was a baseball stadium or not.

So maybe whatshisface should be happy with whatever he gets for any events because its more than the $0 he woulda got if it hadn't been built.

Comment

Some of those who were in on the process said the City of Miami threw out unrealistic prices to renovate the Orange Bowl so the Hurricanes would leave. The original idea after 2003 was to build a baseball stadium and renovate the Orange Bowl. But that idea quickly grew out of favor because it would have been too expensive and required eminent domain to make both fit.

I don't think the City BS'd those figures because the Orange Bowl was in horrible condition. People forget the upper deck was deemed unsafe near the end. Most of the OB would have had to be torn down. With all the financial problems the City of Miami had in the 80s and 90s the building was not maintained anywhere near levels that were necessary.

But to answer your question directly, the Hurricanes did leave a year before the stadium was approved, but the Marlins had a lot to do with them leaving. Miami chose baseball over football.

Comment

Working...
                X