Nate Eovaldi, SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nate Eovaldi, SP

From Jon Sickels' pre-season pitching prospects in review (he's going through his preseason list and looking at the rankings)

Traded to Marlins. Went 4-13 in 22 major league starts, 78/47 K/BB in 119 innings, 133 hits. I don't have anything really objective to back this opinion up, but I think he can improve on this.
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...ects-in-review
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Yeah his peripherals pretty much lined up with what we saw out of him. 4.13 FIP, 4.56 xFIP, and a .317 BABIP.

That said, I expect him to get better for some reason, too. It seems hard for me to believe that a guy who throws as hard as he does with as good of stuff as he has isn't going to start striking guys out.

Comment

He was statistically a lot better the last month of the season, for what it's worth.

Comment

It took almost a year, but Marlins pitcher Nathan Eovaldi finally responded to a nagging request from veteran catcher John Buck.

Eovaldi delivered his reply Sunday in the form of a rare two-seam fastball, which tailed in toward Buck as he batted for the Mets.

“I kind of looked at him, and he kind of smiled back at me [from the mound], like, ‘Yeah, that was it,’ ’’ Buck recalled with a grin.

The background of that light moment goes back to July, after Eovaldi came to the Marlins in the trade that sent Hanley Ramirez to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Buck, Miami’s starting catcher at the time, was among Marlins players who quickly recognized Eovaldi’s potential. He started pestering him at least once a week to add a two-seam fastball to his repertoire.

A two-seam fastball tails toward a right-handed batter and away from a left-handed hitter — movement Buck is convinced will make Eovaldi more effective.

Eovaldi, however, isn’t ready to throw the two-seamer regularly just yet. He didn’t throw any Friday in four innings in Miami’s 6-1 win over the Yankees.

He’s happy to rely on his four-seam fastball, which is nasty in its own right with a quick rising movement.

“That fastball is explosive,’’ said Marlins catcher Rob Brantly. “He’s got a different kind of release point that most hitters aren’t used to seeing. It comes out at 98 miles an hour. It just kind of jumps on you really quick. He’s got lightning stuff.’’

For all his promise, Eovaldi, 23, is still a work in progress. He allowed a run on four hits Friday but walked three.

Still, he became the first Marlins pitcher to work four innings, throwing 60 pitches. He’s 2-0 with a 4.15 ERA in his three spring starts.

Buck said he noticed big improvement from Eovaldi on Sunday.

“Before, when he threw his breaking ball, he would slow down his delivery. But he looked nice and fluid with all of his pitches,’’ Buck said.

“He’s one of those guys that I think as soon as he really buys into himself and really knows himself, he can be a definite 20-game winner.’’

Eovaldi figures to slot third in the rotation, although he could move up to second depending on how quickly Jacob Turner can fix his mechanical issues.

Turner — who will start today in Jupiter against the Cardinals — came to the Marlins from the Detroit Tigers two days before the Dodgers sent Eovaldi to Miami, giving the Marlins hope they’d obtained two formidable starters.

While Turner is considered a more seasoned pitcher, Eovaldi has the best stuff.

Eovaldi was selected in the 11th round of the 2008 draft, a late selection because of elbow surgery in his junior year of high school.

He was called up in 2011 and went 1-2 with a 3.63 ERA in 10 appearances, including six starts. He started off the 2012 season going 1-6 with a 4.15 ERA in 10 starts before he was traded.

He started 12 games for Miami, going 3-7 with a 4.43 ERA. The Marlins are counting on Eovaldi to make strides in 2013.

“He’s developing as young pitcher. The raw talent is definitely there,” Marlins general manager Mike hill said. “He has the making of three quality major-league pitches.

“At times, we have seen them all there, the fastball, the breaking ball and the changeup. We’re just looking for him to get more consistency and throw more strikes. Hopefully that will lead to a very good year for him.’’
        http://www.bradenton.com/2013/03/08/...#storylink=cpy
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

I hope he doesnt use its performance against John Buck to gauge its effectiveness.
          Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
          Noah Perio
          Jupiter
          39 AB
          15 H
          0 2B
          0 3B
          0 HR
          0 BB
          .385/.385/.385

Comment

5ip 4ha 1er 0bb 5k for Jupiter tonight

Comment

Longoria him.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
                I hope he doesnt use its performance against John Buck to gauge its effectiveness.
                ehe

Comment

John Buck is hitting .192/.298/.301 this month

that ship sailed away, fun while it lasted though

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post

You know what's really hilarious about it though?

That line is still better than Mathis's career mark by a pretty decent amount

Comment

that's not surprising at all, Mathis is horrifying

on the plus side, we have him under contract for next year too

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post

he's bad

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                          he's bad
                          Buck (.732 OPS) isn't as bad as Brantly (.596), though.

Comment

Good thing we don't have Travis de"Around (injured)

Comment

How we didn't get him in the big trade is just best

Comment

Working...
                              X