No announcement yet.

Ozuna Optioned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cishek is going to make $7.5 million next year if he stays with the club, unless he agrees to some other longterm contract. He's not an option to be kept even if he was good. That's to much money when the bullpen will have, presumably, Ramos, Capps, Dyson, Morris, Koehler/Phelps, Dunn/Conley, and Hand next year. All those guys are going to cost $9.5-12 depending on if Dunn stays and goes. They can't devote $16-19 million to the bullpen with Cishek. That's arguable 20% of payroll (which is sad).

Haren isn't going to sign here, and they don't need him.

Latos is a wild card if he'll take a 1 year deal to prove health/velocity/etc. I'm not opposed, but it's putting a lot of faith in Latos and Alvarez to eat 350+ innings next year. That would be fine if it was the 3/4 or 4/5 combo, but that's way to much faith for the 2/3. I agree with NNY, they need 2 SP if they sign Latos as one of them.

I think they should get a # 2 or better SP in free agency to match with Fernandez, Cosart, and Nicolino longterm. That should be a pretty good rotation with 2 more years of Alvarez, Kolek the presumable replacement afterwards, and a good amount of 4/5 types (Koehler/Phelps, Hand, Urena, Williams, maybe Brice) to step in if need be.

It's really easy. Trade all/most of Haren, Latos, Prado, Cishek, Baker, Dunn, Morse if possible, and Ramos if you get an overpay, acquire a good young 3B and more young pitching in the process, use that saved money to sign an ace in free agency, and fill out the roster with veteran bats. Team would be bottom 5 in payroll, and have seriously deflected costs of acquiring the ace through getting rid of those guys contracts now. Keeping Ozuna down a month so he doesn't get a Super2 also helps.

Comment

Dim, there's absolutely nothing rational about your argument.

Comment

They need to talk to latos about an extension for next year now to see where he stands.
        I'm completely with you that Alvarez and latos should be expected as the 3 and 4 guys in the rotation. But signing a good 3 wI'll still put the team in contention and avoid all possibility of being another dumpster fire.

Comment

Dont look for AJ Ramos to be dealt at all. Some talk is Stanton has been telling the FO and Loria,he wants AJ to stay.Would think they would wanna sell high but would be nice for once if Loria listened to a player instead of his accountant

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            Dont look for AJ Ramos to be dealt at all. Some talk is Stanton has been telling the FO and Loria,he wants AJ to stay.Would think they would wanna sell high but would be nice for once if Loria listened to a player instead of his accountant
            Stanton doesn't know how to construct a winning roster. I guess the FO doesn't either so why not keep him happy and suck forever

Comment

Everyone knows this (I think) but Stanton and AJ are best friends. I'm actually ok with keeping Stanton happy (at least in this specific spot).

Comment

Stanton's a big boy and he can learn to make new friends. I don't really have a problem with keeping Ramos around next year but unless there is a serious change in spending and I mean going to 16 to 18 in payroll, Ramos shouldn't be on the roster in spring training 2017

Comment

Trading Haren is the big must-happen at the deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                    Stanton's a big boy and he can learn to make new friends. I don't really have a problem with keeping Ramos around next year but unless there is a serious change in spending and I mean going to 16 to 18 in payroll, Ramos shouldn't be on the roster in spring training 2017
                    No new friends, no new friends no, no no
                    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• I would imagine Haren and Latos will be the big moves. I mean, I just don't see the Marlins trading Cishek, Dunn and Ramos--hell, even Koehler--even though they most definitely should.

Comment

• I wonder if Loria and company play draft kings salary cap and dont spend the whole cap cause they think they can pocket the rest?

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                          I would imagine Haren and Latos will be the big moves. I mean, I just don't see the Marlins trading Cishek, Dunn and Ramos--hell, even Koehler--even though they most definitely should.
                          If they don't trade Cishek, he will be DFA'd. I think he'll be moved because its something now, or nothing later.

Dunn and Koehler are each going to make about $3 million next year and can probably be replaced for $500k by Conley and Rienzo/Urena. They are solid, but ultimately if they can get a good player with years of control, it's worth the move. Those guys aren't making or breaking the team next year. You can add Phelps here around the same salary. Morris will make $1.5 so he's sort of in this category too. I can see them keeping 2 of these guys for the bullpen next year (or one as the 5th SP), but not all 4. Basically, I do see them moving some of them. If not now, after the season.

Ramos I agree with. I really don't see them moving him, but if its an overpay, they kind of have to move the reliever for the better option. I think they could get something really really good including him in a package with Prado, Haren, or Latos. Hopefully they'll listen and just ask for the world with him.

Comment

• They are gonna have lots of interest the question is do they deal? They should and need to but who knows?

Cishek,Latos,Haren,One of Koehler or Phelps,Dunn,Baker,Ichiro have to be gone and Hand,Morse,Morris,Prado(With Hits back) should be dealt

Comment

• How does signing a sub .600 ops bat who is a liability defensively make Prado expendable?
                              Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                              Noah Perio
                              Jupiter
                              39 AB
                              15 H
                              0 2B
                              0 3B
                              0 HR
                              0 BB
                              .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Why would they DFA Cishek now if they haven't already? He'll be non-tendered this offseason, which is different than being DFA'd.

Comment

Working...
                                X