Marlins Acquire Jarred Cosart from Astros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    Also consider if Keuchel it would have been Ozuna to Houston with us having Marisnick in CF and Moran still
    I think I'd rather have traded Ozuna for Keuchel, kept Moran, and then moved the comp pick, Marte, and "pick an arm" from the MILB ones we always mention for some CF option to help Marisnick out.

But hey, looking forward to being wrong and Cosart all over my face

Comment

• Don't know if this has been posted yet but one of the first results on google for Kike Hernandez is this interview from a month ago:

http://houseofhouston.com/2014/06/29...ike-hernandez/

He seems to be a positive clubhouse presence. He says his favorite position was 2B but he's comfortable everywhere. Here's the main piece of substance, regarding his breakout this year:

AF: You are posting your highest career average and OPS in the highest minor league level. What do you contribute to your success this season?

EH: “After last year, what I would like to call the worst season of my career, I went into winter ball and decided to figure out what was wrong with my swing. I tried a few things, not really worried about how my season was going, I was just trying to get better and there it was. I tweaked a little something in my batting stance and it clicked. All of the sudden I was seeing the ball better, recognizing pitches a lot earlier and I started driving the ball again.

I’ll never forget what long time big leaguer Felipe Lopez told me the year before, “Kike whenever you’re really hot at the plate, you can compare and you know what you’re doing wrong.” And so far that’s been it for me, not trying to think of my numbers or anything that I can’t control. Just trying to put competitive at-bats, just trying to smoke the ball somewhere.”
      I'm not excited about Cosart though. He's a year older than Turner and doesn't look much better statistically. He's one of the top GB pitchers so his K rate is gonna be low, but he gives up lots of walks and has a low HR/FB rate. Don't GB pitchers normally give up more home runs on fly balls, because pitches down in the zone are easier to hit out by golfing them over? His SIERA and xFIP are worse than Turner's but maybe this is just because Turner's stuff is so hittable that it limits his walks that way. Cosart's velocity is also down a bit which may be partially responsible for his bad July so far, whereas Turner's velo has been improving.

Before Cosart faced the Marlins last week, he pitched 10.2IP against the Mariners and Rangers, 26th and 25th in team wRC+, and gave up 18 hits, 11 ER, 6 BB, 5 SO, 1 HR.

Cosart July: 21.1 IP, 19 ER, 1 HR, 14 BB, 13 SO
      Turner July: 17 IP, 6 ER, 2 HR, 5 BB, 14 SO

I don't see how that helps the Marlins win more, so they'd be better off giving the starts to Turner so he can continue to develop as a starter IMO.

Comment

• Turner is all but gone now

Austin Barnes playing 3B again in Jax-maybe they see something?

Also Brian Anderson is at 3B again in GBoro,maybe we see him move thru even faster and end the year in Jupiter. Mason Davis has done a solid job at 2B in Batavia and Avery Romero is at 2B in Jupiter so maybe they try Brian Anderson at 3B next year and see what he can do

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
          Turner is all but gone now

Austin Barnes playing 3B again in Jax-maybe they see something?

Also Brian Anderson is at 3B again in GBoro,maybe we see him move thru even faster and end the year in Jupiter. Mason Davis has done a solid job at 2B in Batavia and Avery Romero is at 2B in Jupiter so maybe they try Brian Anderson at 3B next year and see what he can do
          I was just about to post the same thing. Trading Moran is likely a combination of having some other guys (like Barnes and now Anderson) playing the position and getting a guy like Hernandez at just a year older than him in the deal that will likely fill a infield spot. I also wonder if they put DD exclusively at 3rd when hes healthy.

Comment

• Hill currently on the Marlins broadcast.
            --------------------
            "Power right-handed pitcher. Fits exactly who we are. Very helpful we saw him over the weekend." -Hill
            --------------------
            "Very versatile piece...can play him everywhere in the infield and everywhere in the outfield." Hill on Kike
            --------------------
            He'll be back in the next half inning. Didn't say when Cosart will start and if Kike will be an everyday player.
            --------------------
            "Before the conversation started we made it very clear that Stanton was not available."
            --------------------
            Why won't they ask when Cosart is going to start and if Kike is an everyday player? Come on.
            --------------------
            Joe Frisaro ‏@JoeFrisaro 1m
            Michael Hill says on #Marlins Radio Network, there is a chance Cosart will start tomorrow v. #Reds Word not official yet
            So Dyson likely optioned and one of Solano/Lucas also sent down.
            --------------------
            MIAMI -- The Marlins' search for a starting pitcher literally went down to the wire. For weeks, the club had been exploring numerous options, weighing everything from club-controllable arms to high-profile rentals.

Miami was finally able to meet its needs, completing a six-player deal with the Astros that was finalized less than 45 seconds before Thursday's 4 p.m. ET non-waiver Trade Deadline.

The Marlins acquired right-hander Jarred Cosart, outfielder/second baseman Enrique "Kiké" Hernandez and Minor League outfielder Austin Wates from the Astros for prospects Jake Marisnick, Colin Moran, Francis Martes and a 2015 competitive balance Draft pick.

"I think we've always said we're just trying to get better," Marlins president of baseball operations Michael Hill said. "We believe in this club and this clubhouse and we believe in what they're capable of doing. Jarred Cosart will help us win more games and to be a better ballclub, and hopefully that winds up with a playoff spot."

Boosted by a stretch of winning nine of 10, including a three-game sweep at Houston last weekend, the Marlins swung into buy mode by the Deadline.

Before completing the deal with the Astros, the Marlins were in the mix on a number starting pitchers who ended up being dealt on Thursday. Miami had inquires with Boston about Jon Lester. But the club wasn't willing to part with Christian Yelich.

The Marlins also checked in on David Price, John Lackey, Tommy Milone, Wade Miley and Ian Kennedy. There were reports about John Danks, but that was never a serious option.

Dallas Keuchel's name also came up in talks with the Astros, but ultimately, it was the 24-year-old Cosart who was moved to Miami.

"I'm really excited about joining the Marlins," Cosart said. "They have an exciting young group of talent, and it would be great to make a run down the stretch."

Cosart and Hernandez will report to Miami on Friday, with Wates being assigned to Triple-A New Orleans.

The trade enabled the Marlins to address two areas of need. The club has been looking for a starter to add depth to the rotation, which sustained a huge blow when Jose Fernandez underwent Tommy John surgery in May.

Second base is another area the club has been seeking depth. Hernandez can play second and short, but he was used mostly in center field in Houston.

Hernandez offers manager Mike Redmond versatility, plus he has a productive bat. In 24 games with the Astros, the 23-year-old from Puerto Rico was hitting .284 with four doubles, two triples and a homer.

"I know I had talked about the pitcher and the second baseman," Hill said. "But the focus was always about the pitcher. Once you got into discussions with Houston, and they did have a second baseman that you liked, you wanted to try to steer things towards getting what you wanted, especially at the cost of the players that were being discussed."

The trade started off focused on Cosart and Marisnick. When Moran was added to the mix, the additional names were included.

Cosart's arrival means the Marlins will have to figure out which of the starters already in the rotation will go into the bullpen.

The Marlins got a close look at Cosart last Saturday at Minute Maid Park, where he threw 5 2/3 innings of five-run ball. He was supposed to start for the Astros on Thursday night, but was seen hugging teammates and coaches shortly before the trade was made official.

Cosart was 9-7 with a 4.41 ERA in 116 1/3 innings for Houston.

The Marlins expect Fernandez back around the All-Star break next year, and Cosart will be counted on to help solidify the rotation until the young ace returns.

In the eyes of the Marlins, Cosart has high-ceiling potential.

"He has power stuff," Hill said. "Fastball in the mid- to upper-90s. Power slider. I think he will fit nicely into our rotation and definitely in this ballclub. A one-plus, young and controllable starting pitcher that can grow with us moving forward."

Hernandez, who turns 23 on Aug. 24, made his big league debut on July 1.

Before reaching the big leagues, Hernandez lit up the Pacific Coast League when he was with Triple-A Oklahoma City. In 67 games, the 22-year-old hit .337 with eight homers, 17 doubles and 31 RBIs.

"Versatile piece," Hill said. "I think for Red and his staff, it's very valuable to have a versatile piece. We know Kiké played center field against us. He can play short. He can play second. He can play left. As we got into this knowing we gave up a lot in the deal, we wanted to try to get something valuable to us in return."
            http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/hou/...&vkey=news_hou
            Last edited by Miamarlin21; 07-31-2014, 07:20 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Jarred Cosart @JarredCosart · 13 Nov 2012
              Are the marlins drunk?
              I'm guessing this is was when Marlins traded with Toronto. But I like the sentiment anyway.

Comment

• Awesome. Welcome aboard!
                Originally posted by Madman81
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Still not a huge fan of this trade. I'd personally rather have Moran longterm than Cosart, but that's just me.

But it's not as bad of a trade as when I first saw the news break.

Comment

• Cosart, a player Hill said has No. 2 to No. 4 starter-type potential, has five more years of team control after this one and is not eligible for free agency until 2020. His addition means Jacob Turner will head back to the bullpen. Left-handed reliever Dan Jennings and utility man Ed Lucas were expected to be optioned back to the minors to provide space on the 25-man roster for Cosart and Hernandez.
                    Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/07/3...#storylink=cpy[
                    --------------------

So sweet.
                    Last edited by Miamarlin21; 07-31-2014, 07:57 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I liked Turner in his first stint in the pen. He was striking out more hitters and walking less. It was a small sample size and his ERA was ugly, but it might work out in the longterm.

Comment

• Donnie Joseph Designated for Assignment to make room on the 40-man roster.

Comment

• Party's Back On

Comment

• The MLB crashed our party and turned out the lights

Comment

• Comment

• Should have traded Cishek for more pieces and just let turner close games.

Comment

Working...
                                X