Miami Marlins All-Time Greatest Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Erick View Post
    No, UZR aside, Gary Sheffield makes Mike Stanton looks like the best outfielder ever. I'll let you decide who that is.

Maybe you and bob will stop trying to argue everything I say, someday.

This is pretty ridiculous. Gary Sheffield fucking sucked, defensively. I don't even see how that can be debated.

Mike Stanton might look awkward sometimes, but at least he has great range and arm strength in RF.
    I think it was just somewhat silly that you suddenly used how a guy looked.

Because you don't like to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by ....J.... View Post
      U do understand that Sheffield was a SS and a 3rd basemen before he was moved to right field, where he routinely threw out everyone that tried to take the extra base?

Try Stanton at all those positions and it'll make Sportscenters Not Top 10 every night.
      That somehow makes Sheffield's defense in the OF suck less?

Comment

Let's remember the reason Sheffield moved was that he had a FP in the .890s at 3b...doubt stanton would be much worse. Sheff was an absolute butcher in the IF
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
          I think it was just somewhat silly that you suddenly used how a guy looked.

Because you don't like to do that?
          And if I use stats to prove how much the guy sucked defensively throughout his career, you mock UZR. So, again, I can do no right with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
            But those things that happened later don't make a game in the past more or less memorable. Those were two guys with big names that the Marlins acquired and two moves that stirred up quite a bit of excitement. Why should something they say later or how many games they play here make one specific game from the past more memorable.

If Delgado was still here and was hitting 40 homers a year, would you suddenly say, wow, that first game is extra memorable now ? ?

?
            Ummmm....no

Carlos Delgado was never in Sheff's class

Fun fact on Sheff......4 seasons over 1.000 OPS, two of which with the Marlins and never struck out more than 83 times in any season.
            Last edited by Omar; 08-04-2011, 12:14 PM. Reason: fixed formatting

Comment

Originally posted by ....J.... View Post
              Carlos Delgado was never in Sheff's class

Fun fact on Sheff......4 seasons over 1.000 OPS, two of which with the Marlins and never struck out more than 83 times in any season.
              You might want to check their stats...

Delgado could very much hold his own against Sheffield

Comment

But this is about all time GAMES, not SEASONS or CAREERS. If it were one of the latter then Sheffield would certainly be up at the top, and surely his marlins career is one of, if not THE, best.

But there is nothing memorable about that game in June against the Expos. More memorable would be him starting in a Marlins uni at the All Star Game
                Originally posted by Madman81
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

yea.....I shouldn't have said never in his class.....it was a memorable game for those who were old enough to remember it. I'd forgotten atleast half of the games mentioned myself

we've hijacked this thread enough.

Comment

how old are you that you remember this so vividly?

Comment

• When I think of Sheffield with the Marlins the 2 HR game jumps to mind (because it was the "fly away" inning too).

I also think of the 1st AB he had (any Marlin had) in the all-star game and he homered.

Those are memorable. I can't tell you who he played in his first game. I like to think I'm pretty good with pre-2003 Marlins memories.

Comment

• Isn't Hanley a great comp here? An incredible talent who has expressed clear interest in entering Cooperstown wearing teal and black. We acquired him via trade (one that was a huge deal) and he's an incredible talent (except he can actually play defense). He's clearly the alpha dog on the team, to boot. I only remember his first game because it was Opening Day, not because it was Hanley's first game.

The only first games I can recall off the top of my head are Lo Duca, Miguelito, Bonertron, and Hermida. But what those four have in common is that they all had an incredible moment that day. In fact, I vividly remember that I watched Josh Beckett's first start. I remember it was day time and that it was a big deal that he was starting. I think it was against the Rockies, but I'm not sure. I don't remember anything he did nor whether we even won. But I remember watching the game and thinking "hey, this guy is the next big thing." Is that game memorable? No, it isn't.
                        God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                        - Daft

Comment

• It was against the Cubs.
                          --------------------
                          Dontrelle's was against the Rockies.
                          Last edited by Swifty; 08-04-2011, 12:20 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Even more to add to the argument
                            God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                            - Daft

Comment

• Really, if '04 had ended better, of we didn't get Manzanillo'd, Lo Duca's HR is the #1 moment (non-championship related) and it's probably not all that close.

Then there's that second tier of significant with things like Hermida's grand slam, Miggy's walk off, etc.

Then the third tier of stuff that you remember because it was significant (Luis 35) but nothing jumps to mind as defining.

The Championship/postseason stuff is its own animal.

The "debut" games are largely overrated. Lo Duca's had one moment, and it was spectacular. He didn't get 5 AB's and thrive in one (like Miggy). He got in on a direct flight from LA, didn't even have a proper jersey on (LODUCA) and homered on the first pitch he saw. Incredible.

Comment

• I only remember Hanley's first game because he was all world bad in it

Comment

Working...
                                X