No announcement yet.

Jose Fernandez, RHP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You really dont count considering you detest any high school player.
    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
    Noah Perio
    Jupiter
    39 AB
    15 H
    0 2B
    0 3B
    0 HR
    0 BB
    .385/.385/.385

Comment

I'm ok with this pick really.

Comment

This is usually when MK7 and Todd are at their best or worst, however you want to look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
          as much as I'm not a fan that's not quite true
          I'm just reading on this kid. Still, I wanted a lefty, and Owens looked pretty good.

Although it sounds from those scouting reports that the kid relies a lot on his fastball because he lacks control of his other pitches.

Whatever, I'm sure we'll find good value later on.

Comment

"Later on" is usually where the Marlins draft to spend the least amount of money possible.
            Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
            Noah Perio
            Jupiter
            39 AB
            15 H
            0 2B
            0 3B
            0 HR
            0 BB
            .385/.385/.385

Comment

All the people criticizing the pick have never seen Fernandez pitch before. That's always the greatest thing about the draft.

Comment

"later on" is where we drafted Josh Johnson, Mike Stanton, Logan Morrison, and Gaby Sanchez

I want you to go find me a better foursome of players currently in the bigs drafted after the first round by the same franchise they play for

Comment

No ones criticizing really. 99.9% of us are cool.
                  Noah Perio
                  Jupiter
                  39 AB
                  15 H
                  0 2B
                  0 3B
                  0 HR
                  0 BB
                  .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
                    "Later on" is usually where the Marlins draft to spend the least amount of money possible.
                    Hopefully we get some more cheap players like Gaby Sanchez and Logan Morrison.

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot Josh Johnson.

Comment

from an Astros fan site:

Summary

Jose Fernandez is an interesting story coming out of Tampa Bay, Florida. If you like big live arms that could be very projectable at the next level then you're really going to like Fernandez. He's a big guy standing 6-3 and weighing 235 pounds at just 18 years old and has drawn comparisons to both Livan Hernandez and Bartolo Colon. His family moved to Tampa Bay from Cuba during his sophomore year of high school. There are many that question his age coming from Cuba and was even suspended pending an investigation. Jose Fernandez has an above average fastball and slider and is said to have a strong mound presence who goes right after hitters. He also features a curveball and changeup that will need to be developed, but hasn't used them often in high school.

Ceiling

Fernandez has a big arm that sits in the 92-95 mph range and has hit as high as 98 mph with his fastball. So needless to say, Fernandez features a big arm and has very good mound presence. He isn't afraid to go right after hitters, and shows above average confidence on the mound. He is a fastball and slider pitcher now, but does feature a curveball and changeup. If he develops these pitches and improves his conditioning he could turn into a staff workhorse who eats innings and features four plus pitcher. Some compare his ceiling to that of Bartolo Colon in his early years with the Angels. I would say that's a pretty nice ceiling for the 6-foot-3, 235 pound, 18 year old out of Tampa Bay.

Floor

It all seems to hang on what type of conditioning he develops as a pitcher. This could simply be the difference between him being a very good starter or just another arm out of the bullpen. Jose Fernandez tends to struggle with command of his pitches and can struggle from time to time. Scouts tend to question Jose Fernandez's conditioning. Sound familiar? He has a very similar body to Brett Wallace in which he has a very thick lower half and some scouts compare him to Livan Hernandez in physical size. It's a possibility that Jose Fernandez could develop into a spot starter or bullpen arm due to a lack of conditioning, above average fastball and slider, and poor body type.

Will the Astros pick him? If so, where?

Jose Fernandez is projected to go in the middle to late first round of the 2011 draft. The Houston Astros could target him with the 11th pick in the draft, but this could be a little high because of the talent that should be available. He is likely to go in the late first round is unlikely to make it past the Tampa Bay Rays with the ten first round picks that they have in the first round. Jose Fernandez is the type of high ceiling above average arm that Bobby Heck and his staff would love to add to the Houston Astros farm system. Fernandez would be a nice addition to the farm system, but would be considered a project of a prospect and is unlikely to fly through the system until he can develop his change and curveball.

Where is he projected to go right now?

ESPN: 17th to the Los Angeles Angels

Baseball America: 24th to the Tampa Bay Rays
                      http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2011/5/...so-hs-tampa-fl
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                        "later on" is where we drafted Josh Johnson, Mike Stanton, Logan Morrison, and Gaby Sanchez

I want you to go find me a better foursome of players currently in the bigs drafted after the first round by the same franchise they play for
                        Kind of liberal with the term "later on" arent you, considering 3 of those 4 were in the first 5 rounds.
                        Noah Perio
                        Jupiter
                        39 AB
                        15 H
                        0 2B
                        0 3B
                        0 HR
                        0 BB
                        .385/.385/.385

Comment

Kind of liberal with the term "later on" arent you, considering 3 of those 4 were in the first 5 rounds.
                          That's still later on.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                            That's still later on.
                            Its really not. And its kind of silly you are going to such an asinine degree even though you have to know what I mean.

I am speaking of the 20 straight 22 to 24 year old college players they invariably take every year.
                            Noah Perio
                            Jupiter
                            39 AB
                            15 H
                            0 2B
                            0 3B
                            0 HR
                            0 BB
                            .385/.385/.385

Comment

Fernandez is a far easier sign with quite a bit more upside due to his raw size and strength. Scouts have seen him up to 97 mph this spring with a quality curveball and a promising slider. His changeup is good enough to get lefties out as well, but has room to grow. Considering Fernandez’s background, however, there is a very realistic chance he will take slot money come June. His family came to the States two years ago from Cuba, and I’m guessing $1-2 million will get him signed.
                              http://thegoldensombrero.com/wordpress/archives/3729
                              Originally posted by Madman81
                              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Its really not.
                                When Dim said later on, he didn't specify rounds. So yeah, that's still later on.

Comment

Working...
                                X