Trade Deadline Watch 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
    What's the deal with Conley? Why did he fall apart and can't seem to turn it around? Has he worked with those Pittsburgh guys DelPiano (wasn't there another one?) at all?

I read an article by someone saying we should go after Sonny Gray of the A's. I doubt we have anything near what it would take to get him, no? Not without subtracting from the ML roster.

Would it surprise anyone if Loria again "went for it?"
    the "article" suggested we start trade talks with "touted prospect" Peter Mooney. It's a nobody fansided writer who has no knowledge whatsoever.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
      the "article" suggested we start trade talks with "touted prospect" Peter Mooney. It's a nobody fansided writer who has no knowledge whatsoever.
      I could see Oakland all over Mooney(Billy Beane type)- in the Rule 5 Minor League Phase

Its like when guys talk on twitter. Said Boston like Prado and guys asked if we could get Devers or Betts in return? HAHA

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
        Yeah, I figured it wasn't a good proposal as our system sucks. But we can dream!

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
          U can but the new ownership thing restricts alot of what they can do. Its easy to trade Volquez who has 1 year and i think 13 million on deal-new owner isnt gonna keep him. Straily is cheap and controlled till 2020. This is the same with Ozuna(cheap/controlled),they went 3 months talking him to all teams then all of a sudden Ozuna is off the market.Why? Cause all groups told Jeff they would rather make the decision on him.

If some team offers a crazy package for Straily or Bour they would be tempted especially if they have a handshake deal(downpayment) with a specific guy.

I agree with all u said-just remember who is running the FO still. I don't trust Mike Hill
          Right. That's the #1 drawback to trading him now. It still could be worth it, though, if teams are desperate enough.

Comment

• Straily's fine to deal. His FIP is a full .5 higher than his current ERA, and his swinging strike % is way up relative to his last three years. He has regression all over him. If we're wrong, fine, but he should bring at least one nice piece, maybe two at the deadline and he's not an irreplaceable piece moving forward. Prado should bring one nice piece and a "take a flyer" type. That's an easy way to slowly rebuild the system without a full on firesale. I think it makes sense for the fanbase, for the new ownership, and for general morale.

In any event, I still stand by my belief that this is a roster that can be in the 800-ish runs realm, and that's enough to make the playoffs. It's the pitching, and frankly, the established strategy in the post PED world seems to be develop a lineup, pay for FA pitching. There are some intriguing free agent starters if the new owners want to make a splash. I think the fact that the minor league system is a dumpster fire is a bit misleading because the major league roster is pretty promising, at least on the offensive side of the ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
              Straily's fine to deal. His FIP is a full .5 higher than his current ERA, and his swinging strike % is way up relative to his last three years. He has regression all over him. If we're wrong, fine, but he should bring at least one nice piece, maybe two at the deadline and he's not an irreplaceable piece moving forward. Prado should bring one nice piece and a "take a flyer" type. That's an easy way to slowly rebuild the system without a full on firesale. I think it makes sense for the fanbase, for the new ownership, and for general morale.

In any event, I still stand by my belief that this is a roster that can be in the 800-ish runs realm, and that's enough to make the playoffs. It's the pitching, and frankly, the established strategy in the post PED world seems to be develop a lineup, pay for FA pitching. There are some intriguing free agent starters if the new owners want to make a splash. I think the fact that the minor league system is a dumpster fire is a bit misleading because the major league roster is pretty promising, at least on the offensive side of the ball.
              This. This is the evolution of the game.

Comment

• I don't think you can just discount the importance of developing pitchers at the minor league level, though. It'll always be more dangerous to give a pitcher a long-term big money contract than a position player. So get as much as you can out of that pitcher before he has his devastating injury. Our problem is, the highly touted pitchers we draft get their devastating injuries in Low-A Ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                  I don't think you can just discount the importance of developing pitchers at the minor league level, though. It'll always be more dangerous to give a pitcher a long-term big money contract than a position player. So get as much as you can out of that pitcher before he has his devastating injury. Our problem is, the highly touted pitchers we draft get their devastating injuries in Low-A Ball.
                  I mostly agree but major injury seems to be an inevitability with most pitchers. Even those with solid deliveries are undergoing TJ. If you have limited resources it's easier to justify, in my opinion, developing hitters, who are more projectile and less of an injury risk, and hoping that a club controlled lineup coincides with the ability to add pitching either via free agency or through trade.

Comment

• The Rockies are eyeing relief help as the deadline approaches, Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post writes in his latest mailbag column. One name that Saunders has heard connected to the Rox is Marlins closer AJ Ramos.

Comment

Straily's fine to deal. His FIP is a full .5 higher than his current ERA, and his swinging strike % is way up relative to his last three years. He has regression all over him.
                      Totally disagree here.

His BABIPs this year back are .243, .239, .275, .291 (his worst year by far, only 16.2 IP), .266, .225. He's a low BABIP guy and a pretty extreme flyball pitcher (65% FB career) pitching in a park that suppresses homers so we're not talking about sheer luck or solid defense here. Not comparing him to Kershaw talent-wise, but he's the exact profile that will consistently outperform his peripherals and maintain a low BABIP. And given his contract status I don't see how it makes any sense to move him. Even if he were to regress a little he's a good fit in a rotation under control for several years.
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• I agree with MK7. If we have a lineup that can score 800+ runs but starting pitching is keeping us out of the playoffs, why would we get rid of starting pitching?

Comment

• Honestly the lineup may have to take a step back to get us where we want to be. I'm open to moving anyone who isn't JT and Yelich (and Stanton but he's kind of a different beast for many reasons). But, I wouldn't advocate trading Bour AND Ozuna AND Gordon AND Prado if we aren't getting at least some offensive prospects back because then we end up in an Emilio-Bonifacio-Starting-At-Third-Base situation. The primary focus should be SP, and if you can dip into the lineup to get it, fine. But you can't totally decimate the lineup in the name of acquiring SP because then you end up with a reverse problem (and that's IF the pitching even pans out).

The way I see it, moving Ozuna, Prado, Ramos, and Phelps should probably net us enough to jumpstart the system. We'd get relatively useful pieces back, not super far off, and then we can try to supplement in the offseason through FA/IFA. I don't see us getting much for Chen or Volquez or Koehler but I'd be open to moving them as well, of course. Ozuna is a premier bat, probably the best that will be on the market this year, and teams on the bubble will want him badly. And with 3B so thin, we should get at least something solid for Prado.

I'd also be open to moving Dee and I think we could get something useful for him as well, BUT my issue is that we'll get less for him than Ozuna and Prado given the contract and single dimension of his game (I think). Think he's more valuable to us than another team because trading all 3 of them means almost half of our lineup is gone and, unless we're getting ready players back in one of these deals, we have absolutely nothing remotely ready to replace them. I do not want to see a 2018 lineup that has JT Riddle at SS and Miguel Rojas at 2B and Brian Anderson at 3B and Moises Sierra or Braxton Lee in LF.

Comment

Straily's fine to deal. His FIP is a full .5 higher than his current ERA, and his swinging strike % is way up relative to his last three years. He has regression all over him. If we're wrong, fine, but he should bring at least one nice piece, maybe two at the deadline and he's not an irreplaceable piece moving forward. Prado should bring one nice piece and a "take a flyer" type. That's an easy way to slowly rebuild the system without a full on firesale. I think it makes sense for the fanbase, for the new ownership, and for general morale.

I think a lot of your points are valid, but if the lineup is good enough to win, trading away really your only good pitcher that happens to be on a cheap deal is counterintuitive, isn't it? Of course your risking regression, but if you think this team can win soon with the addition of some pitching, then Straily is probably worth keeping. You're not going to be able to go out and buy 3 or 4 good pitchers. At that point, you really would just need 2 of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                              I think a lot of your points are valid, but if the lineup is good enough to win, trading away really your only good pitcher that happens to be on a cheap deal is counterintuitive, isn't it? Of course your risking regression, but if you think this team can win soon with the addition of some pitching, then Straily is probably worth keeping. You're not going to be able to go out and buy 3 or 4 good pitchers. At that point, you really would just need 2 of them.
                              Ya id keep Strailly as a young cheap cost controlled #2/3, hope to sign/somehow acquire an ace, and hope for Conley to regress to normal and have another low key signing work out. I dont think you can trade Strailly unless you get one of the top prospects in baseball.

Comment

• Another "rumor" and this one is a doozy. Its starting to look like teams are gonna be lining up for our guys whether or not they are on the block. Thing is we every team would be in on Yelich and 10-15 of them would be ok taking a "bad contract" too

Yelich and a "bad contract" to Philly

https://www.facebook.com/kenrosentha...46948935370833

Part of the article

Yelich? Different story.

The Phillies, according to one source, have been “vocal” about their desire to land Yelich, even expressing an interest to assume “bad money” — say, reliever Junichi Tazawa’s $7 million in 2018, for starters — as part of the deal.

Then again, 28 other clubs likely would be just as vocal if the Marlins made Yelich available, considering that he is guaranteed a “mere” $44.5 million from 2018 to ’21, including a $1.25 buyout on a club option for ’22 — and that he has taken a step back offensively this season, perhaps lowering the Fish’s asking price.

The Marlins continue to say they will not consider moving controllable pieces such as Yelich, outfielder Marcell Ozuna and catcher J.T. Realmuto until they gain clarity on the sale of the club. Still, the majority of the team’s current baseball people want to rebuild, sources say. And the next owners, whoever they might be, might be looking at a $150 million payroll next season if they retain their current players and add the necessary rotation help.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                                Honestly the lineup may have to take a step back to get us where we want to be. I'm open to moving anyone who isn't JT and Yelich (and Stanton but he's kind of a different beast for many reasons). But, I wouldn't advocate trading Bour AND Ozuna AND Gordon AND Prado if we aren't getting at least some offensive prospects back because then we end up in an Emilio-Bonifacio-Starting-At-Third-Base situation. The primary focus should be SP, and if you can dip into the lineup to get it, fine. But you can't totally decimate the lineup in the name of acquiring SP because then you end up with a reverse problem (and that's IF the pitching even pans out).

The way I see it, moving Ozuna, Prado, Ramos, and Phelps should probably net us enough to jumpstart the system. We'd get relatively useful pieces back, not super far off, and then we can try to supplement in the offseason through FA/IFA. I don't see us getting much for Chen or Volquez or Koehler but I'd be open to moving them as well, of course. Ozuna is a premier bat, probably the best that will be on the market this year, and teams on the bubble will want him badly. And with 3B so thin, we should get at least something solid for Prado.

I'd also be open to moving Dee and I think we could get something useful for him as well, BUT my issue is that we'll get less for him than Ozuna and Prado given the contract and single dimension of his game (I think). Think he's more valuable to us than another team because trading all 3 of them means almost half of our lineup is gone and, unless we're getting ready players back in one of these deals, we have absolutely nothing remotely ready to replace them. I do not want to see a 2018 lineup that has JT Riddle at SS and Miguel Rojas at 2B and Brian Anderson at 3B and Moises Sierra or Braxton Lee in LF.
                                If u trade Ozuna u would likely get a position player in the deal but ya this is the reason why alot of people think it will be a total rebuild by 2019 and not just a few guys gone. Our system is terrible so if u trade 3 or 4 bats there really is no one to take a spot. U can trade RP because we have 4 ML ready guys waiting to come up.

The issue with Prado,Gordon,Stanton are contracts. While all 3 would bring back solid deals,all 3 get dinged on the bad contracts. No team is giving up a solid prospect AND taking ALL of Dee Gordon's 30 million
                                Last edited by tjfla; 07-13-2017, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X