Marlins Sign #1 Independent League Player OF Dalton Wheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Sign #1 Independent League Player OF Dalton Wheat

1. Dalton Wheat, of, Kansas City T-Bones (American Association)
    Wheat was an all-conference outfielder at Division II Emporia (Kan.) State, where he hit a team-best .391/.474/.613 with 19 steals in 25 attempts as a senior. Jumping straight from Emporia State to the T-Bones, Wheat then led Kansas City with a .335 batting average and a .414 on-base percentage. A lefthanded hitter, Wheat projects as a table-setter with plus-plus speed and solid plate discipline that should produce strong on-base numbers. He had an accurate arm with enough strength to play right field regularly for Kansas City but also played center. He can play all three outfield spots well enough to project as a potential fourth outfielder. Wheat has well below-average power despite size (6-foot-2, 185 pounds) and he hasn’t perfected bunting to utilize his speed.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...IoAC3olzCcO.99

signing per Matt Eddy: https://mobile.twitter.com/MattEddyB...44127545212928
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

I don't know quite what to make of that news but it's much better news than what we got in late September so I'll take it.

Comment

Our new #1 prospect

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
        1. Dalton Wheat, of, Kansas City T-Bones (American Association)
        Wheat was an all-conference outfielder at Division II Emporia (Kan.) State, where he hit a team-best .391/.474/.613 with 19 steals in 25 attempts as a senior. Jumping straight from Emporia State to the T-Bones, Wheat then led Kansas City with a .335 batting average and a .414 on-base percentage. A lefthanded hitter, Wheat projects as a table-setter with plus-plus speed and solid plate discipline that should produce strong on-base numbers. He had an accurate arm with enough strength to play right field regularly for Kansas City but also played center. He can play all three outfield spots well enough to project as a potential fourth outfielder. Wheat has well below-average power despite size (6-foot-2, 185 pounds) and he hasn’t perfected bunting to utilize his speed.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...IoAC3olzCcO.99

signing per Matt Eddy: https://mobile.twitter.com/MattEddyB...44127545212928
        Reported last week-check minor signings for more!!!!

Comment

REKT

Comment

Guy wears work gloves to hit. Really good all around numbers. Could be a diamond in the rough find. I'm guessing Juliter to start his Marlins career.

Comment

Originally posted by Benched View Post
              Guy wears work gloves to hit. Really good all around numbers. Could be a diamond in the rough find. I'm guessing Juliter to start his Marlins career.
              Like legit work gloves? He can waste a spot on our ML roster all year for all i care, thats fuckin awesome.

Comment

Marlins Sign #1 Independent League Player OF Dalton Wheat

Yeah, he forgot his batting gloves one day and had them in his truck and he's worn them ever since

I'm interested to see if he's even allowed to do that in affiliated ball. Have no idea if there's a rule like that, but wouldn't surprise me.

He really does seem like he could be someone who slipped through the cracks, the fact he was a senior in college that we signed after 3 months of Indy ball and isn't like 28 makes it more promising. Odds, obviously, are that he turns out to be nothing, but I'm intrigued.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                  Yeah, he forgot his batting gloves one day and had them in his truck and he's worn them ever since

I'm interested to see if he's even allowed to do that in affiliated ball. Have no idea if there's a rule like that, but wouldn't surprise me.

He really does seem like he could be someone who slipped through the cracks, the fact he was a senior in college that we signed after 3 months of Indy ball and isn't like 28 makes it more promising. Odds, obviously, are that he turns out to be nothing, but I'm intrigued.
                  You don't have to wear batting gloves (see Justin Bour), why would it matter what gloves you wear?

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                    You don't have to wear batting gloves (see Justin Bour), why would it matter what gloves you wear?
                    There might be a maximum thickness rule. No batting gloves makes it, in theory, harder to swing a finished wood bat, thicker could help with grip.

Comment

Working...
                    X