No announcement yet.

Jose Fernandez Flew to Miami to See Doctor for Stiff Shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fortunately, it was just a biceps strain. Pretty much the best-case scenario, right?

Comment

no, best case scenario was if we traded him before he lost his value
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I'm pretty sure that 95 percent of this forum (and Marlins fans in general) would have stopped watching the team if the Marlins traded Jose. His value is also still pretty damn high. It's just a biceps strain. Wasn't his elbow or his shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
          "I suspect the Marlins try to do it"

do you know who you're dealing with?

They've extended one pitcher like, ever

and it only bought out 2 FA years

and it ended up being a not good contract

I don't think we'll ever see them buy out a SP again
          I think it is very fair to say they have never had a pitcher like Fernandez before

Comment

Originally posted by Valid View Post
            I'm pretty sure that 95 percent of this forum (and Marlins fans in general) would have stopped watching the team if the Marlins traded Jose.
            Correct.

In no world was trading Jose a positive expected value for the Marlins and their fan base.

Comment

The Marlins will never trade Jose Fernandez. More than his talent level, he is a symbol to the community of Miami. People see his story of escaping Cuba and starting life anew in the United States, failing several times as a child, and see themselves within that. He could be shitty and the Marlins would hold on to that. It just so happens that he is a top-10 pitcher in the sport.

Comment

Oh I was being sarcastic
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                  I think it is very fair to say they have never had a pitcher like Fernandez before
                  When they extended JJ he was like 85% of this. His post TJ stretch leading into the extension was pretty nuts (22-6, 8.1 K/9, 129 ERA+, 8.6 WAR).

I hope they do it, but I doubt they do.

Comment

I mean, in terms of what he meant for the franchise, Willis was probably similar.

And was around the same age.

And had a longer track record and lack of injuries.

And we still didn't sign him.

Comment

Fernandez is a completely different beast than Willis.

They will make an offer. But who knows. Maybe he wants to gamble on himself like Kershaw or Lincecum and wait another year or two.

Comment

I mean, in terms of what he meant for the franchise, Willis was probably similar.

And was around the same age.

And had a longer track record and lack of injuries.

And we still didn't sign him.
                        but we didn't have this awesome, empty stadium yet.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                          Fernandez is a completely different beast than Willis.

They will make an offer. But who knows. Maybe he wants to gamble on himself like Kershaw or Lincecum and wait another year or two.
                          Just curious, but in what way?

Fernandez has better stuff and profiles as an ace.

Willis was a top line pitcher and never had the injuries Fernandez had.

Those are the differences as far as I can tell.

Obviously not signing Willis worked out for us, but my point is, there was no real reason NOT to sign Willis, and they still didn't. I don't think this will be any different.

Comment

Obviously not signing Willis worked out for us, but my point is, there was no real reason NOT to sign Willis, and they still didn't. I don't think this will be any different.
                            The reason could have been that they believed his leg kick windup was a gimmick and would eventually be solved or bring him issues. But I agree with the overall point. If they were going to turn down a massive Granderson/Verlander haul, you have to re-sign him, right?

Comment

Seems like you're downplaying the disparity in talent between the two.

Willis had two good years, and in those two years, he wasn't as dominant as Fernandez, and in only one of those seasons was he clearly the best pitcher on the team (2005). He didn't strike many guys out and his WHIP wasn't "wow" like Jose.

I also don't think you can discount Jose's marketing value. An outstanding Cuban pitcher in an area heavily populated by Cubans? As marketable as Willis was, he isn't Fernandez in that regard. Not even close. I think that will certainly play a factor in the FO's decision-making process.

The only area where Willis had the edge was health, and yeah, that's a pretty big thing. Otherwise, it's all Jose.

Comment

Jose is one of the best under-23 pitchers of all time on a per-start basis. Willis was a good pitcher. In terms of talent, they aren't close at all.
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X