No announcement yet.

Marlins @ Mets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heaney out pitched Penny tonight, how the hell is that possible? Heaney doesn't have the veteran experience to be doing such things. Also, time to shut down Eovaldi.

It's actually amazing how many people think a 24-year old pitcher that has been league average and closing in on 200 innings is so terrible.

Comment

daft called it
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
        It's actually amazing how many people think a 24-year old pitcher that has been league average and closing in on 200 innings is so terrible.
        84 ERA+ is not league-average.

There is room for optimism with him, but I'm having trouble shaking the images of Ricky Nolasco when he pitches.

I'm all for moving Nate to the bullpen.
        poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
          84 ERA+ is not league-average.

There is room for optimism with him, but I'm having trouble shaking the images of Ricky Nolasco when he pitches.

I'm all for moving Nate to the bullpen.
          I don't see how he'd have more value out of the pen, but I can agree on the Nolasco part. Hopefully that isn't the case.

Comment

I think his stuff can play up more in shorter stints.
            poop

Comment

I can see that. If you were in charge, would you give him one more season or move him to the pen next season?

Comment

Depends on what other moves they do.

If ownership allowed me to sign James Shields, I think I'd trade Eovaldi for an infielder.
                poop

Comment

I know Alvarez has been the better pitcher, but I'd rather trade him than Eovaldi because I don't trust he can stay healthy for a full season. But that's just me.

Comment

Comment

I mean, he's had shoulder issues each of the last two seasons, so there's something to it.

But I'd rather bet on Alvarez staying healthy than Eovaldi suddenly finding a way to get swinging strikes, which he's never really done.
                      poop

Comment

Eovaldi was out from ST to the middle of June(?) last year. He doesn't exactly have a squeaky clean bill of health either and has been significantly worse than Alvarez.

Give me Henderson Alvarez all day erry day.

Comment

Why does Eovaldi have a higher fWAR than Alvarez? That makes no sense.

Comment

Similar peripherals and more innings.

Comment

fangraphs goes by FIP rather than Runs Allowed.

Which makes sense to a point, but WAR shouldn't really be considered a predictive stat, which is what FIP is.
                              poop

Comment

Yeah, it's the reason why Nolasco posted high fWAR's earlier in his career.

For what it's worth, I think it's a fluky year for Eovaldi. I still think that he can be a starter. Most pitchers who do what he's done this year don't have the stuff that he is. It's usually guys like Nolasco who have below average fastballs.

I hope that they don't give up on him as a starter. As it is, he's thrown 447 innings in the big leagues with a 4.11 ERA/3.73 FIP. While that's not spectacular, it's still a starter on just about every team in the big leagues especially considering his age and stuff.

Making him a reliever, (especially with the amount of relievers we have in the system), would be dumber than making Yelich a 1B.

Had this been a month and a half ago, we'd be talking about Eovaldi being a fit for the rotation next year and Cosart being trade bait. The only difference between the two is that Cosart's balls in play are finding more gloves in the 2nd half. I don't think we're in a position to be giving away young pitchers right now.

I also wouldn't sign James Shields even if it were a possibility. I'd be ok with keeping the young guys in the rotation and signing a 2nd-tier free agent pitcher instead of Shields. In the unlikely event that we sign Shields, all that would happen is that he'd pitch here for a year or two and then we'd just sell low on him in a trade the day Stanton leaves and our window to compete ends.

Comment

Working...
                                X