This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lou View Post
    Either way, Marlins shouldn't break the bank on him. I don't think anyone disputes.
    Well Hechavarria probably does.

Comment

I've accepted at the start of this year that Hechavarria is going to be here for at least 6 more years and the team will throw a lot of money and resources at him that would be better spent elsewhere, all while defending their decision to do so.

Luckily Hechavarria is no longer the worst player in baseball, and was slightly ok last year. But he's still more likely to be an enigma who will prevent us from finding a real long term option at shortstop than the star the front office thinks he is.

- - - - - - - - - -

I'll add that I'm fine with Hechavarria starting next year since there's literally no better option both internally or in the outside markets. But he's far too much of a hindrance on offense through large portions of the season. 23 walks in nearly 500 AB's should be unacceptable, and the sub .700 OPS months of May through July are hard to ignore between a great April and a good August. It's simply frustrating to see that the team has devoted absolutely zero resources towards depth at the SS position. The team's basically devoted themselves to Hechavarria for the next four years at least, and that worries me.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
        I've accepted at the start of this year that Hechavarria is going to be here for at least 6 more years and the team will throw a lot of money and resources at him that would be better spent elsewhere, all while defending their decision to do so.

Luckily Hechavarria is no longer the worst player in baseball, and was slightly ok last year. But he's still more likely to be an enigma who will prevent us from finding a real long term option at shortstop than the star the front office thinks he is.

- - - - - - - - - -

I'll add that I'm fine with Hechavarria starting next year since there's literally no better option both internally or in the outside markets. But he's far too much of a hindrance on offense through large portions of the season. 23 walks in nearly 500 AB's should be unacceptable, and the sub .700 OPS months of May through July are hard to ignore between a great April and a good August. It's simply frustrating to see that the team has devoted absolutely zero resources towards depth at the SS position. The team's basically devoted themselves to Hechavarria for the next four years at least, and that worries me.
        Not sure if it'll continue or not, but, for what it's worth, Hechavarria was one of the best SS's in baseball last year. Unless you're upset that the team doesn't have Carlos Correa, I'm not sure that the team can do much better at SS. And I say this as someone who absolutely does not want to give him then 8/120 Andrus extension. Salary aside though (which is fair to say since he's still pretty cheap), Hechavarria seems like a fine option at SS. With that said, I also wouldn't mind selling high on him if the return fits our needs.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
          Miguel Rojas 3rd Best SS Glove in Baseball/Austin Nola/Elliot Soto are all waiting in the wings. I know none of them would hit over .200 and all 3 are like 26 already

Miguel Rojas hit .282 in 142 Major League at-bats last year, so I think there's a pretty good chance he'd hit over .200.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
            Because you have no fucking clue what the FO is thinking and everything you post is nonsense that you try to push off as "inside information"?
            Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 17h17 hours ago

Other clubs say #Marlins are floating Marcell Ozuna's name but only want to deal him for a No. 2-type starter. Tough sell after last year

Todd tho reported 12 Hr ago

My post are bullshit so probably wrong

- - - - - - - - - -

Hey Tood not sure where u live but u should go to the meetings one year. It is amazing what type of stuff u hear talked about. Most of it is talk but always fun. Plus if u do u show up send me a pic. Would love to see how big the mouth is in person. Goes for a few guys on this site.

Winter Meetings are better cause get to see players but GM Meetings arent that bad

- - - - - - - - - -

Few reports have Cincy looking to move Chapman AND Todd Frazier. Doubtful on Chapman and we don't have what it would take for Frazier

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
              Not sure if it'll continue or not, but, for what it's worth, Hechavarria was one of the best SS's in baseball last year. Unless you're upset that the team doesn't have Carlos Correa, I'm not sure that the team can do much better at SS. And I say this as someone who absolutely does not want to give him then 8/120 Andrus extension. Salary aside though (which is fair to say since he's still pretty cheap), Hechavarria seems like a fine option at SS. With that said, I also wouldn't mind selling high on him if the return fits our needs.
              Right. 3 WAR last year, 8th in baseball at position. If that defense is even remotely real, and even if he regresses with the bat and defensively, he still probably grades out in the 18-22 best SS in baseball. Not a great starter, but not embarrassing. That's about where Nick Ahmed and Alcides Escobar were last year. I'm OK with that as a floor (I think the defense is mostly real). With what Hech is going to make next 3 years, if it's an average 2 WAR guy, thats pretty good. You can win with that guy with the rest of the team the Marlins (should) have. I think it would be dumb to trade him unless its a really clear upgrade scenario, which I can't see happening. SS talent sucks across the league.

It seems like they are hellbent to dump Ozuna anyways, so if he turns into another young SP, the discussion is more what OF are they going to sign. They aren't going to move two of their starting position players.

Comment

There is plenty of speculation that center fielder Marcell Ozuna, who turns 25 on Thursday, will be traded. The club is willing to listen on potential offers, but the sentiment is Miami is leaning heavily in favor of retaining Ozuna. It would take a really attractive package for Ozuna to be moved.
                Frisaro

Comment

Good.

Comment

The in favor part is because they want a younger #2/3 starter and the offers they have been getting are for prospects and RP. Was one report already that Philly had floated an offer of Ken Giles and a pitching prospect for him.

They want him gone but like the trade deadline talk they aren't giving him away. His value isnt that high right now and the FO is hoping it will get alot better,while some teams are just waiting for him and Mattingly to get into it.

- - - - - - - - - -

Tom Koehler is another name that has been talked about. But other than those 2 Mike Hill has been quiet. Alot of guys are "out there" but we don't have much teams like. In other words farm system is BOOTY!!!

Comment

Why would Ozuna and Mattingly get into it?

Comment

cuz tj says so.

- - - - - - - - - -

Ozuna hasn't had a problem with any previous manager. Only problem he's had was when our FO screwed him over to save some money, and even then it wasn't him, it was more Boras.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                          Why would Ozuna and Mattingly get into it?
                          Ozuna has a reputation of being Puig Jr around the league. Tons of talent but takes plays off/jogs/laid back. Alof of teams think that it is only a mater of time before it blows up. Ya Redmond and DJ personality wise are just like Mattingly HAHA.

Comment

BOOTY!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                              Frisaro
                              ALso in the Frisaro article- http://m.marlins.mlb.com/news/articl...?tcid=tw_share

There have been reports that Jennings put Ozuna in the lineup when owner Jeffrey Loria wanted the outfielder to sit.

After all these years u all don't understand that Jeff wants all the control. He wants to be able to tell the equipment guy how to do his job and with Mattingly as the coach he has someone who might not listen to all he says but has no issue getting in someone's face and sitting them

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                                ALso in the Frisaro article- http://m.marlins.mlb.com/news/articl...?tcid=tw_share

There have been reports that Jennings put Ozuna in the lineup when owner Jeffrey Loria wanted the outfielder to sit.

After all these years u all don't understand that Jeff wants all the control. He wants to be able to tell the equipment guy how to do his job and with Mattingly as the coach he has someone who might not listen to all he says but has no issue getting in someone's face and sitting them
                                What's the point you're trying to make here? Mattingly won't take crap from Loria, but he will also have no problem doing exactly what Loria says?

Comment

Working...
                                X