Mish: Marcell Ozuna Traded to St. Louis Cardinals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    Scott Boras being his agent means that he will 100% be going to free agency, not that we shouldnt deal with him. Also, you seem to ignore the part where Ozuna put up a career year unlike anything he's previously shown before. This is the definition of selling high. Would you rather he be on a losing team for the next 2 years only to see him leave in free agency n 2 years for a massive deal and see us get nothing?
    U are telling me the guy who just said the Marlins are a pawn shop for MLB would let Ozuna go to FA? HAHA This is the right move. Next year u wouldn't get as much because he is a FA next year and then he would leave

Comment

While it sucks that Miami is trading away good players, it was expected this time, and I'm not even sure I blame them for doing so. And out of all of the players on the team, trading Ozuna made the most sense. He was never going to stay here long term with Boras as his agent, and Miami's financial limitations. His value is also at an all time high. Even without a fire sale, this move is a logical one to make.

Now let's wait on the return, though. If they didn't get a good package back on Ozuna, that fucks this whole rebuild up. If Alcantara is the biggest piece, we're in serious trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
        While it sucks that Miami is trading away good players, it was expected this time, and I'm not even sure I blame them for doing so. And out of all of the players on the team, trading Ozuna made the most sense. He was never going to stay here long term with Boras as his agent, and Miami's financial limitations. His value is also at an all time high. Even without a fire sale, this move is a logical one to make.

Now let's wait on the return, though. If they didn't get a good package back on Ozuna, that fucks this whole rebuild up. If Alcantara is the biggest piece, we're in serious trouble.
        Its either Wacha/Flaherty and Alcantara OR Alcantara and Hudson along with a controllable OF

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
          U are telling me the guy who just said the Marlins are a pawn shop for MLB would let Ozuna go to FA? HAHA This is the right move. Next year u wouldn't get as much because he is a FA next year and then he would leave
          not just that, but ozuna is a classic regression to the mean type. It's entirely possible that this past year is the player he is, but id be surprised. Also it makes no sense to take the chance on him being that given we arent contending the next 2 years and he will leave in free agency for a monster deal. If anything, we got something for him now, we will suck for 2 years, and if we have a need in a few years we could always try to sign him when he becomes a FA. we wont, but keeping him for the next 2 years is beyond bad business.

- - - - - - - - - -

Its either Wacha/Flaherty and Alcantara OR Alcantara and Hudson along with a controllable OF
          they better have gotten flaherty in this deal. if they chose wacha over him they deserve to be crucified.

Comment

Scott Boras being his agent means that he will 100% be going to free agency, not that we shouldnt deal with him. Also, you seem to ignore the part where Ozuna put up a career year unlike anything he's previously shown before. This is the definition of selling high. Would you rather he be on a losing team for the next 2 years only to see him leave in free agency n 2 years for a massive deal and see us get nothing?
            I don't know how this is hard to understand, being able to re-sign and retain your good players is the hallmark of the teams that are continually successful in this league. Until we're able to do that, things will not change. Maybe we'll luck into another 2003 where everything falls together and have another magical season, but prolonged success is out of the question. The only way we've resigned anyone recently is through frankly fraudulent means that end up hurting us in the long run, which was the Stanton deal. I thought maybe that would change under new management, we'd get guys in here who could actually negotiate contracts with class and dignity and treat our players with respect, and be able to spend money with intelligence. Ozuna looked like the first opportunity to make a statement that things were changing. It didn't happen.

Comment

I did not really want Ozuna to stay, especially after trading Stanton. I do understand Nick’s point though.

Comment

Flaherty and Alcantara is fine. Wacha and Alcantara, or Alcantara, Hudson, and a controllable OF are pretty fucking awful returns for Ozuna.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                  I don't know how this is hard to understand, being able to re-sign and retain your good players is the hallmark of the teams that are continually successful in this league. Until we're able to do that, things will not change. Maybe we'll luck into another 2003 where everything falls together and have another magical season, but prolonged success is out of the question. The only way we've resigned anyone recently is through frankly fraudulent means that end up hurting us in the long run, which was the Stanton deal. I thought maybe that would change under new management, we'd get guys in here who could actually negotiate contracts with class and dignity and treat our players with respect, and be able to spend money with intelligence. Ozuna looked like the first opportunity to make a statement that things were changing. It didn't happen.
                  No, knowing which players are worth re-signing to enormous deals are the hallmark of the teams that are continually successful. See the cardinals not resigning Pujols because that would cripple the franchise and not be worth it.

Again, even if we did re-sign Ozuna, it would be with us taking him to free agency and risking losing him for nothing because that's what scott boras does with all his clients. So you are essentially advocating for keeping a good player on a terrible team for 2 years and not getting anything for him for the chance of re-signing him in 2 years.

Comment

Before anyone asks. YES St Louis offered more for Stanton.

Comment

Joel Sherman‏Verified account
                      @Joelsherman1
                      3m3 minutes ago
                      More
                      In Stanton talks #Marlins really liked Alcantara, Bader and Weaver among others. Not sure if any are in Ozuna deal, but was told those were #stlcards players Mia asked often about.
                      Weaver also a guy who would be perfect to be the centerpiece of the return but he isnt talked about as much. Alcantara better not be the guy though.

Comment

Weaver also a guy who would be perfect to be the centerpiece of the return but he isnt talked about as much. Alcantara better not be the guy though.
                        Ya wasn't talked about because St Louis reportedly said no to Weaver,Reyes and Hicks. Which is everyone went to Flaherty. The Stanton deal I heard was Wacha or Flaherty(Depending on $),Alcantara,Jose Martinez,Harrison Bader and Knizner. This had us included ALOT of $(50 million)

This is why Miami was trying to move him there

Comment

Ya wasn't talked about because St Louis reportedly said no to Weaver,Reyes and Hicks. Which is everyone went to Flaherty. The Stanton deal I heard was Wacha or Flaherty(Depending on $),Alcantara,Jose Martinez,Harrison Bader and Knizner. This had us included ALOT of $(50 million)
                          jesus that deal would have been ridiculous for Stanton. You had me a little concerned when you said STL offered more for Stanton but that's an unrealistic ask for even ozuna.

Comment

I think the Ozuna criticism above should be directed at Loria.

Buy out your pre arbitration year players who are good starters. Get the 1-3 years of free agency. Believe in your guys.

They did it with Yelich, they didn't with Ozuna. I can't fault the new guys for ditching him when they need pitching (again, a problem for the last guys).

Some of this criticism is harsh. I agree with Erick, I get the point and disappointment, but this is a baseball move that makes sense (assuming a good package of course).

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                              I think the Ozuna criticism above should be directed at Loria.

Buy out your pre arbitration year players who are good starters. Get the 1-3 years of free agency. Believe in your guys.

They did it with Yelich, they didn't with Ozuna. I can't fault the new guys for ditching him when they need pitching (again, a problem for the last guys).

Some of this criticism is harsh. I agree with Erick, I get the point and disappointment, but this is a baseball move that makes sense (assuming a good package of course).
                              They offered the same deal to Ozuna and his agent Scott Boras said No Thanks. He bet on Ozuna and won plus he hated Jeff Loria

Comment

No, knowing which players are worth re-signing to enormous deals are the hallmark of the teams that are continually successful. See the cardinals not resigning Pujols because that would cripple the franchise and not be worth it.

Again, even if we did re-sign Ozuna, it would be with us taking him to free agency and risking losing him for nothing because that's what scott boras does with all his clients. So you are essentially advocating for keeping a good player on a terrible team for 2 years and not getting anything for him for the chance of re-signing him in 2 years.
                                Boras' MO is to have guys go to Free Agency, but don't act like a Scott Boras client has never re-signed prior to Free Agency. It's rare, but it's happened. Maybe they truly did try to get him to re-sign, and Boras and Ozuna just flat out said no, I could be way off base, but for some reason, I seriously doubt that happened.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
                                I agree that this is the smartest way to try and get more years out of our talented young players, but this can't be the ONLY chance we have of keeping our talented young players.

Comment

Working...
                                X