Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
    A minority owner who is the only reason the current administration won the bid for the team. Jeter went through countless dance partners to own this team, was really the only constant throughout the entire sale process. Beat out Miami's own Jorge Mas, much to the chagrin of a lot of us. You don't go through all that, decide to pay yourself $5 million a year and then get to say, "talk to the guys making the decisions, it's not my call." That's horseshit.
    Fair enough. As it turns out, Jeter ended up speaking. There you go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
      Fair enough. As it turns out, Jeter ended up speaking. There you go.
      Have to give him credit for addressing the media prior to Hill going out to face them. He needed to talk and he did, so good for him. The new ownership needs to get out front more. Loria would not have done that.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
        I mean, I wouldn't expect Jeter to be an expert on minor league players. My only problem with the comment is that he probably should have deferred to Denbo, who would actually be the most qualified person in the world at the moment to ask about the Yankees farm system.
        No. I wouldn't expect Jeter to negotiate the prospects. But I fully expect that he made the decision between take better prospects and pick up some of the salary vs. take worse prospects and have NY pick up almost all of the salary.

Comment

• https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza.../#212ea5c738b6

This debt is also a big reason why this is happening. Fact is this group doesn’t didn’t have money necessary to run the team.
          "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
          - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph View Post
            https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza.../#212ea5c738b6

This debt is also a big reason why this is happening. Fact is this group doesn’t didn’t have money necessary to run the team.
            And that's the problem we've had under Loria, and why we wanted Mas.

Comment

• I love that Mas is now the same level of popularity as the local backup QB on a team with a bad QB. As if he wouldnt also do this exact same thing with this fatally flawed roster

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                I love that Mas is now the same level of popularity as the local backup QB on a team with a bad QB. As if he wouldnt also do this exact same thing with this fatally flawed roster
                Weren't you of the same opinion of dim, myself and others just a few weeks ago?

---

You're again missing the point, though. Aside from the fact we don't know what he would've done, even if a rebuild were to happen, he'd have had more funds available, meaning he wouldn't have to get the other team to pay the entire contract and get lesser prospects. We currently have a group that had to scramble to get funds together and is still looking for investors. I know they were approved and everything, but that doesn't mean a better option wasn't out there (Loria's Yankees obsession made a sale to Jeter inevitable from Day 1).

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                  Weren't you of the same opinion of dim, myself and others just a few weeks ago?

---

You're again missing the point, though. Aside from the fact we don't know what he would've done, even if a rebuild were to happen, he'd have had more funds available, meaning he wouldn't have to get the other team to pay the entire contract and get lesser prospects. We currently have a group that had to scramble to get funds together and is still looking for investors. I know they were approved and everything, but that doesn't mean a better option wasn't out there (Loria's Yankees obsession made a sale to Jeter inevitable from Day 1).
                  I dont think you know any of that for a fact. Fact of the matter is that this team is hemorrhaging money and there are only a handful of people in the entire world willing to do that. It makes plenty of sense from a business perspective to get the finances under control first and then build up the baseball side.

And idk what opinion youre talking about that youre saying im agreeing with.

Comment

I love that Mas is now the same level of popularity as the local backup QB on a team with a bad QB. As if he wouldnt also do this exact same thing with this fatally flawed roster
                    Exactly Mas idea was the same as this. Get rid of all and try signing Manny Machado as a FA

The fact is the team was a 75 win team and unless u are spending more money thats what they would have been this year too
                    Last edited by tjfla; 12-11-2017, 02:49 PM.

Comment

I dont think you know any of that for a fact. Fact of the matter is that this team is hemorrhaging money and there are only a handful of people in the entire world willing to do that. It makes plenty of sense from a business perspective to get the finances under control first and then build up the baseball side.

And idk what opinion youre talking about that youre saying im agreeing with.
                      Well, initially against a rebuild, but then more recently that we should give more money to receive better prospects.

Comment

• Jon Heyman‏Verified account @JonHeyman · 2h2 hours ago

Big gap between how yankees and marlins view prospects going to miami jorge guzman and jose devers. Yanks seem them ss mid-tier prospects, marlins baseball prez mike hill: guzman could be an ace and devers has similar skill set to cousin rafael.

Comment

• [tweet]940313079585431555[/tweet]

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                            Well, initially against a rebuild, but then more recently that we should give more money to receive better prospects.
                            I still think we should do that, but for stanton that was never really realistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                              [tweet]940313079585431555[/tweet]
                              That shows confidence in your organization's plans.

"Hey, you better accept this trade. Otherwise you're gonna be stuck with US for the rest of your career. MWUAHAHAHAHA."

- - - - - - - - - -

All these stories just seem to confirm how poorly the Marlins handled this situation. There were scenarios where the team could've traded Stanton, gotten a nice enough return and consulted Stanton enough that he wouldn't be smack talking the new management team on his way out. But here we are.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
                                That shows confidence in your organization's plans.

"Hey, you better accept this trade. Otherwise you're gonna be stuck with US for the rest of your career. MWUAHAHAHAHA."

- - - - - - - - - -

All these stories just seem to confirm how poorly the Marlins handled this situation. There were scenarios where the team could've traded Stanton, gotten a nice enough return and consulted Stanton enough that he wouldn't be smack talking the new management team on his way out. But here we are.
                                And youre gonna wonder why jeter stops trying to explain the moves when you twist it like that. It's not "youre gonna be stuck with us," it's "you told us you didnt want to rebuild, we're rebuilding no matter what, do what helps us both out and move on to these deals we like."

Comment

Working...
                                X