No announcement yet.

Marlins Trade 39th Overall Pick to Pirates for Bryan Morris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They shouldn't be serious about contending this year.

Which makes this trade worse.
    poop

Comment

Morris is very similar to Ryan Webb. Ryan Webb was let go for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
        I don't understand how one move relates to the other.
        Less draft pool cash means can sign guys cheaper and get away with it. They now had 1.5 million less to spend.(12.5 million) It has more to do with MLB putting pressure on Loria then anything because they know he won't spend the cash anyways.

The #2 Pick Slot is 6.8 million. If u take Rodon,Jackson,Kolek u are gonna spend 6.5 or so but if u take Nola u can offer him 4.5 million(Between 4/5 money)

If u do that u are saving 2.3 million to which MLB WANTS u to spend in other parts of the draft. U think Loria wants to pay the #36(1.5 million) or #39(1.5 million) or #43(1.3 million) an extra million??? Loria would prefer to get guys who will sign for under 1 million.

With the trade they now lose 1.5 million off the draft pool and if they take Nola at #2 they don't have to worry about spend the extra cash at #39. On top of that they get a ML RP this year

Comment

This is awful

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
            They shouldn't be serious about contending this year.

Which makes this trade worse.
            On top of that Morris has no options left

Comment

Morris is very similar to Ryan Webb. Ryan Webb was let go for nothing.
              Pretty substantial difference in tier respective defense-independent stats.
              poop

Comment

3.37 career FIP for webb, 5.01 FIP for morris.

Morris gives up home runs at three times the rate, and has a 1.36 K/BB to webb's 2.08.

Not even close

Comment

@clarkspencer: #Marlins prez of baseball ops Michael Hill said Bryan Morris trade is just the start: "I don't think we're finished in trying to improve."
                  Twitter

Comment

I feel like Morris isn't nearly as bad as his FIP. For one, the 17.6 HR/FB% is probably not going to continue. Also, while his K rate is awful, his peripherals indicate that he has an ability to miss bats. His swstrk% is ~12 so I feel like the ~5.5 K/9 makes little sense.

He's also an extreme GB guy so it wouldn't be surprising to see him out pitch his FIP as he has.

This is a rare case where his ERA might actually be more indicative of his talent level. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                      Guys the trade is not as bad as it looks especially if you want a pitcher in the draft who can move fast.

I keep saying that our FO likes Aaron Nola better than Rodon and this move could help us in taking him. I heard that they like Nola but no reason to pay him 6 million or more as the #2 Pick however MLB was saying u can't have the highest draft pool and make cost saving picks.

So with this trade it might kill 3 birds with 1 stone-

Lowers our draft pool to 12.5 million
                      Gives us a ML RP(Not a great one but not Hatcher bad)
                      Makes it possible we look at Aaron Nola
                      Honestly, that makes me like the trade even less. This deal allows them to take a worse player at #2? That sucks. I don't care that he can move through the system faster. The Marlins are not starving for SP, they need more impact players. I would much rather see them take a guy with higher upside and have a stud 1-3 of Fernandez, Heaney, and Rodon/Kolek/Aiken for the longterm or a potential big time power bat in Jackson than a solid starter that will get here faster.

Comment

It becomes more apparent with each passing day that our FO is run by morons.

Comment

Giving them too much credit calling them morons.

Comment

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                            Honestly, that makes me like the trade even less. This deal allows them to take a worse player at #2? That sucks. I don't care that he can move through the system faster. The Marlins are not starving for SP, they need more impact players. I would much rather see them take a guy with higher upside and have a stud 1-3 of Fernandez, Heaney, and Rodon/Kolek/Aiken for the longterm or a potential big time power bat in Jackson than a solid starter that will get here faster.
                            Worse in fans mind but alot of talk is they(FO-Jennings,Mike Hill,scouts) like Aaron Nola better than Rodon. Not reach the majors faster but think he is better overall. Loria is the one who seems to like Rodon even tho if they take Rodon(if he is there) the FO will say he was the BPA

If we had the #4,#5,#6 pick instead of #2-Aaron Nola would be the pick

Comment

tjfla is definitely a member of the front office or something.

Comment

tjfla is definitely a member of the front office or something.
                                I wish I could use the cash. Honestly rather stay with the morons on here tho

Comment

Working...
                                X