X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
    Day 1 was too quiet for my liking.

Bad feeling we do very little this offseason.
    Originally posted by Big Z View Post
    I feel the same way. Only thing we heard is Rangers possibly looking at us for pitching.

I unfortunately agree as well. I could see them signing a "veteran" rotation guy (Masterson or someone like that), but beyond that, at this point, who else is out there that we'd really 1) be interested in, 2) have a shot at getting, and/or 3) not have to give up more than that new player would be worth?

I mean yeah, at a certain point, you might have to get rid of some pieces you'd rather not part with to acquire certain players via trade, or perhaps spend more than you want, but in their greatest area of need (the infield), it doesn't seem like they're too eager to do much. Jennings said the other day that they were content with the infield they have if an upgrade can't be made, which I suppose he's right if the cost is too high for a particular upgrade, but still...

Comment

• Masterson got a multi-year offer from Boston according to MLBTR, so he may be off our charts soon too.

Comment

• I hope no one is surprised that they haven't looked to make a change in the left side of the infield.

Hech can walk on water and McGehee won COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR. They aren't going anywhere this offseason.

Why upgrade 2B when you have DD, Kike and Solano to battle it out?

The one spot they have to do something at is 1B their options are dwindling.

Comment

• At this point, I'd settle for a strict Baker/Jones split at first. They did flirt with it for a few weeks at a time here and there last season.
          Sanchez life

Comment

• Lester supposedly signing today. Once that happens, floodgates should open.

Comment

• There weren't many first base options to begin with. Plus our greatest asset (pitching) is plentifully stocked in the market this offseason, so the value of our trade assets is probably not going to fetch what it could during a different time of the year. I can't say we have missed out on a nice signing on a free agent whose contract was in our range. I think Laroche got overpaid. Looks like Headley will get overpaid. Hanley and Sandoval were destined for Boston so we weren't getting into that bidding war. Hitters are few and far between right now. Once the dominos start to fall on pitching then we'll have a better market to make moves in. We still have Cishek to deal for something nice in return. It's a little early to declare the offseason a smoke screen or a failure...
              STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• SAN DIEGO — All offseason the Marlins have made it very clear they are seeking a top of the rotation starter. The ideal candidate is an All-Star caliber pitcher who can eat up innings and keep the club in the playoff picture until Jose Fernandez returns around the All-Star Break.

It’s a reach for the sky wish, and one not easily attainable. Arizona lefty Wade Miley would fit the bill, and he still may wind up in Miami. But the trade return will be painful, most likely meaning the Marlins would have to part with their top prospect, Andrew Heaney.

This much is known, the Marlins are exploring a number of different scenarios. They’re open to creative thinking. So much so that they are considering converting newly acquired reliever Aaron Crow into a starter.

Perhaps the Marlins have learned something from Crow’s former club, the Kansas City Royals.

A main reason the Royals reached Game 7 of the World Series is because they had arguably the best bullpen in the game in 2014. Not many clubs could match their seventh, eighth and ninth inning trio.

Since finding the ideal starter isn’t easy, perhaps the Marlins should consider building a super bullpen. If they are leaning that way, Aroldis Chapman would be a logical option.

We don’t know if the Marlins are thinking this way, but what is clear is the Reds are open to trading Chapman, their fireball-throwing lefty closer.

Cuban-born, Chapman would be an immediate fan favorite in Miami. He also would make the entire pitching staff better.

The fact he is 26, and doesn’t reach free agency until 2017 means he could be with the Marlins at least two seasons. Entering his prime, he also is affordable. In 2015, he is set to make $5 million after collecting 36 saves and striking out 106 in 54 innings last season.

If the Marlins do acquire Chapman, then what happens to Steve Cishek? Teams have checked in on Cishek’s availability. Like Chapman, the 28-year-old is entering his second year of arbitration.

Cishek likely will have his salary raise to close to $6 million.

How to resolve Cishek’s situation could be simple. They could trade him for either a starter or a power bat. Or they can keep him, and use him in the eighth inning.

Cishek in the eighth and Chapman in the ninth would give the Marlins one of the top back ends of any bullpen in the National League. You’d have two proven closers. Cishek also has the personality to accept whatever role he is given, without grumbling.

The seventh inning candidates would be Mike Dunn, A.J. Ramos, Bryan Morris, Carter Capps and Chris Hatcher. Immediately, Miami’s bullpen would become the envy of the league.

A powerhouse bullpen could be the answer to their starting pitching search, becuase the team would be able to shorten games. If the starters can keep the team in the game for five or six innings, Miami will like its chances to come out with a win.

It just may work out where Miami’s best chance to improve its rotation is by dramatically strengthening its bullpen.
                http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/
                Originally posted by Madman81
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• We are waiting on SF-well alot of teams/agents are waiting on them.

When I mentioned that teams were talking to us about Heaney but talking a swap for postion players-Texas is one of those teams

Like said nothing is close but they are dangling Heaney around. We called Oakland on Donaldson and Jeff(SP) but were told both times they want a young IF in return

Comment

• MLB Network Radio ‏@MLBNetworkRadio 20m20 minutes ago
                    Redmond on #Marlins: "We're working hard trying to acquire another pitcher or a bat. A bat to hit behind Stanton would be huge for us."
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Chapman would be awesome. Wouldn't mind seeing him in the rotation either
                      STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                        It amazes me how this guy can look down at bloggers "reading moneyball and owning an Ipad" but then suggest such ideas as this. I cannot stand that guy. He blocked me on Twitter for having a rational conversation on why Mike Trout was MVP two years back.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                          We are waiting on SF-well alot of teams/agents are waiting on them.

When I mentioned that teams were talking to us about Heaney but talking a swap for postion players-Texas is one of those teams

Like said nothing is close but they are dangling Heaney around. We called Oakland on Donaldson and Jeff(SP) but were told both times they want a young IF in return
                          What position players do the Rangers have that would interest us enough to move our top prospect?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
                            Chapman would be awesome. Wouldn't mind seeing him in the rotation either
                            If they use him in the rotation, that would be fine with me. But another bullpen arm when we need bats would be upsetting.
                            --------------------
                            I'd do Profar for Heaney.
                            Last edited by marlinsfan24; 12-09-2014, 11:36 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                              What position players do the Rangers have that would interest us enough to move our top prospect?
                              They got Profar,Gallo,Odor,Sardinas

We have called a few teams about young ML ready IF using Heaney as bait. No clue if they would but Oakland wanted a young ML IF but looks like that has sailed
                              --------------------
                              As soon as Lester signs,u will start seeing alot more action.

Actually seems teams are blowing up the phone on Cishek this morning. Whoever missed on Robertson or needs a closer is asking and the price is still massive
                              Last edited by tjfla; 12-09-2014, 11:47 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• @RobertMurrayMLB: Source: Francisco Liriano to the #Pirates on a three-year, $39 million deal.
                                Twitter

There goes another option.
                                --------------------
                                @Ken_Rosenthal: As others have reported, #Cubs expected to assume Montero’s entire three-year, $40M obligation in deal with #Dbacks. AZ will need help at C.
                                Twitter

Traded a catcher and now have a hole at catcher. May we interest you in Salty?
                                Last edited by Big Z; 12-09-2014, 12:23 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                                X