No announcement yet.

Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's new about that? It's been common knowledge since they bought the team and I have said it about 100 times

Actually the 90 million is with Stanton they would really like it to be around 60-75 million however don't wanna come out and say it to piss fans off. 2020 is the target date for everything. They would love to lose Stanton,Gordon,Prado,Tazawa right now

Don't know much about Seguignol's ability but hopefully they make it like the Yankees system with 2 DSL teams/2 GCL teams because they sign so many guys. They won't but can dream

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
      Joel Sherman proposed this on Saturday:

http://nypost.com/2017/11/11/trades-...ake-this-week/
      I would consider that. Not sure if id take it but its a start. Ian happ is gonna be very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
        What's new about that? It's been common knowledge since they bought the team and I have said it about 100 times

Actually the 90 million is with Stanton they would really like it to be around 60-75 million however don't wanna come out and say it to piss fans off. 2020 is the target date for everything. They would love to lose Stanton,Gordon,Prado,Tazawa right now

Don't know much about Seguignol's ability but hopefully they make it like the Yankees system with 2 DSL teams/2 GCL teams because they sign so many guys. They won't but can dream
        Well good for you.

I said a few new articles, and I was referring more toward the revenue parts and the Seguignol article, not to mention there's more in each article at the links. No wonder there's nobody on this forum.

Comment

• The revenue things wont do much. They need to have a consistent, coherent plan that they stick to, have it start to pay dividends, and stop being so completely PR idiotic for years on end. Then you will raise revenue and fill the seats. Dont worry about filling seats this year. Do the rebuild right and you will fill the place up. Astros had nobody in their stadium when they started their rebuild too. Do the rebuild right, and people will come.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
            Just saw a rumor given by Phil Rogers from MLB Network of the Cards offering Reyes, Aledmys Diaz, Grichuk, and Alcantara for Stanton and Ziegler. That would be an incredible haul for us.
            Incredible as in awful? Grichuck and Diaz are both mediocre(they combined for a 1.6 WAR last year). Reyes is coming off TJ. Alcantara has upside but hasn't been very impressive as a starter at any level(yes, age could factor) and theres a good chance he ends up in the pen.
            Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
            Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
            Noah Perio
            Jupiter
            39 AB
            15 H
            0 2B
            0 3B
            0 HR
            0 BB
            .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
              Incredible as in awful? Grichuck and Diaz are both mediocre(they combined for a 1.6 WAR last year). Reyes is coming off TJ. Alcantara has upside but hasn't been very impressive as a starter at any level(yes, age could factor) and theres a good chance he ends up in the pen.
              Ya, they both had down years last year. Diaz was an all star in his rookie year the year before at SS with an .879 OPS in his rookie year, is only 27 and has lots of years of team control left. Grichuk is a career .785 OPS guy who hits 20-25 a year and also has a few years of team control left. They would be the 3rd and 4th players in the deal.

Reyes is coming off TJ, yes, but he was also the number 3 prospect in baseball coming into this past year before he got hurt in TJ. Alcantara was the buzz of the AFL that just happened and if worst comes to worse he becomes a closer. That would be a great haul for Stanton.

Stanton was a 1.8 WAR the year before this past year. Baseball players have down years. Those guys, or any one of their other potential OF"s in the deal (Piscotty, Bader, etc.) as stop gap and potential long term starters in the OF as one of the lesser pieces in the deal would be a really solid addition.

Diaz was a 2.7 WAR 2 years ago at a position where we currently have Rojas penciled in at starter, and he has 5 years of team control left.
              Grichuk has been a 3.1 WAR, 2.2 WAR, and 1.4 WAR the last 3 years. He had a down year last year, yes, but no one is arguing he's a star. I'd prefer Bader or a different OF who is a prospect type rather than a plug and fill kind of guy, but as a lesser piece in a deal you could do a lot worse. He also has 3 years left of team control.

The main piece in any of those deals would be Flaherty, Weaver, or Reyes, and all 3 have ace potential.

- - - - - - - - - -

Any one of Reyes, Flaherty, or Weaver + Hudson or Alcantara + Diaz + one of their OF's (Bader, Piscotty, Grichuk, Sierra, etc) would be an amazing haul for the marlins.

- - - - - - - - - -

Some rumors flying today (for whatever that's worth), that the Cardinals could be in on one of the top starters in FA like Darvish. Who knows, but maybe that's related to whether they think they might trade one of those guys for Stanton. Or it could just be made up bullshit like most of the stuff this time of year.
              Last edited by fish16; 11-13-2017, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• NEWS Heyman | Giants and Cards favorites but many want StantonJon Heyman
                ByJon HeymanPosted on Nov 13, 2017
                Oct 1, 2017; Miami, FL, USA; Miami Marlins right fielder Giancarlo Stanton (27) singles in a run in the fifth inning against the Atlanta Braves at Marlins Park. Mandatory Credit: Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports JASEN VINLOVE-USA TODAY SPORTS
                ORLANDO – The St. Louis Cardinals and San Francisco Giants remain the perceived favorites in the Giancarlo Stanton Derby, but sources say that at least seven teams here have shown some level of interest in Stanton, who hit 59 home runs to lead MLB, may win the N.L. MVP and is the talk of the early winter as the best player on the block.

Marlins people are said to be “encouraged” by what they’ve heard in the early going here at the GM Meetings, as multiple new teams are at least investigating what it would take to add baseball’s biggest power threat. The Cardinals and Giants have been seen as the most aggressive pursuers this past summer of Stanton, along with the Phillies, but they are apparently not along now.

The Red Sox may have checked in but most people close to their situation see them as more interested in J.D. Martinez, or perhaps even Eric Hosmer, due to price. While the Yankees made a call in July, their determination to get under the luxury threshold of $197 million combined with the presence of right-handed hitting sluggers Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez makes them an unlikely trade partner for Miami.

The other teams aren’t known to this point, but word is that the Dodgers, another logical possibility, hadn’t checked in as of yet.

While the Marlins are thought to want to pare their payroll from $115 million to around $85-90 million – not easy with natural raises adding perhaps another $20 million – depending on the return, word is they are open to offsetting Stanton’s record deal to some degree. To get near their payroll goal, moving Stanton is almost a necessity.

“Stay tuned,” an executive with another team said. “They are serious about moving this deal.”

The Marlins are thought to most prefer pitchers back in return, but Marlins people are open to any sort of talent, as they want to bolster an overall depth issue – and cut expense.

Marlins GM Michael Hill declined to say which teams might be involved in the proceedings, or much of anything else related to Stanton, either.

The Cardinals are believed to be one of the preferred trade partners for Miami since they are well stocked with prospects, particularly pitchers. The Giants don’t have prospects to match the Cardinals.

But Stanton himself will eventually have the ultimate say in where he goes since his contract, which has $295 million to go over 10 years, contains a full no-trade clause. Folks around the team suggest Stanton most wants to go to a winning team, and though a couple people hinted that he might prefer the West Coast, a Marlins person suggested that wasn’t necessarily the case. The Phillies are not believed to be a preferred destination of Stanton’s, though the slugger has not said a word about his preference publicly.

The Marlins are also talking to teams about star second baseman Dee Gordon and also third baseman Martin Prado, and perhaps some relievers, as they endeavor to cut payroll and rebuild for the future.
                Latest from Heyman.

https://www.fanragsports.com/heyman-...-want-stanton/

Encouraging from a cardinals perspective about him being more concerned about winning. I think if we can get a deal where we get a potential ace + more to start the rebuild, you take it and run.

Incredibly interested to see what Dee Gordon can get. Based on his contract, i think we just go for either a high potential lower minors SP, or a major league ready high potential closer type.

I also see us trading Barraclough this offseason on top of Ziegler and Tazawa from the pen.

Comment

• I just don't see how the Giants can present a package we should be interested in. It's not as simple as them adding a few parts. Their system is terrible. They need a bunch of pieces to make it work.
                  Last edited by sports24/7; 11-13-2017, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                    I just don't see how the Giants can present a package we should be interested. It's not as simple as them adding a few parts. Their system is terrible. They need a bunch of pieces to make it work.
                    agreed 100%

Comment

• It's likely just posturing, but since the options are limited with the no trade clause, Hill said this:

And then there’s the idea that Stanton isn’t traded at all.

“I’d say that’s definitely a possibility,” Hill said. “That’s why I don’t like to chase rumors or comment on rumors and keep everything internal, because you never know how things are going to play out.”
                      Other tidbits:

Before the Marlins declined outfielder Ichiro Suzuki’s $2 million team option this month, Hill and Jeter — Ichiro’s former Yankees teammate — visited Ichiro in person to tell him of the their decision.

Asked why the Marlins didn’t want to bring the 44-year-old Ichiro back, Hill didn’t get specific.

“I think just where we were at, I don’t think we were prepared to commit to Ichiro,” Hill said.
                      Will left-hander Wei-Yin Chen be healthy at the start of spring training, after receiving his third platelet-rich plasma injection in a year and a half at the end of the regular season?

“We hope so,” Hill said.
                      http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...113-story.html

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                        This system certainly . needs quantity, but they need quality far more. The quantity will come with the number of players they're about to deal. If you don't get quality, the rebuild will be worthless. This team will never be a major player in free agency, so if you ever want to be a contender, you need to build with young talent like the Cubs and Astros did.

I don't see how you trade Stanton and don't get back either of a team's top 2 prospects. I don't see how you trade him and don't get a top 25 prospect, period, unless you are getting a young talented MLB player. You're talking about the likely MVP who just entered his prime. Yes, it's a big deal, but that's why you eat some of it. You cannot let that be prohibitive here in getting back a great return. A good GM would make sure that happens. I'm not sure Miami has a good GM, though.

As for his NTC. That is a factor only if you let it be. The Marlins ultimately have the bargaining power here. Stanton doesn't want to spend the rest of his prime on a rebuilding team. If he says he only wants to go to LA or SF, I'm calling his bluff. I just don't buy that he's going to turn down going to a contender. I'm cool with trying to get him to a preferred spot if the return is fair, but I'm not going to let that hurt his value.
                        Title of the article is

Cardinals,other teams know Stanton "has all the power"

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...70d990442.html

I really wish national guys would do their homework because people in Miami seem to think the Marlins have it all!!

They are talking to teams NOT on Stanton's list right now but looks like they are shooting for the moon(reason why Boston is looking at JD Martinez now).

- - - - - - - - - -

Other news

How the hell do we hold onto Justin Bour?? 10 teams are looking at 1B-Boston,Seattle,Cleveland,St Louis,Tampa,Texas,KC,NY Mets and all AL teams can use a power hitting DH. After Hosmer,LoMo and Santana he would be a nice option. Trade him for pitching and sign a cheap vet 1B or play DD there

Dee Gordon
                        https://www.fanragsports.com/heyman-...e-gordon-best/

Dan Straily is getting bites but as predicted most teams are waiting till after FA sign. He is gonna be a hot name at the Winter Meetings and we are looking for a package like we gave for him. Something to watch is Dee Gordon AND Straily to Milwaukee,they had discussions at the trade deadline before they got Neil Walker.
                        Last edited by tjfla; 11-14-2017, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Title of the article is

I really wish national guys would do their homework because people in Miami seem to think the Marlins have it all!!

They are talking to teams NOT on Stanton's list right now but looks like they are shooting for the moon(reason why Boston is looking at JD Martinez now).

- - - - - - - - - -

Other news

How the hell do we hold onto Justin Bour?? 10 teams are looking at 1B-Boston,Seattle,Cleveland,St Louis,Tampa,Texas,KC,NY Mets and all AL teams can use a power hitting DH. After Hosmer,LoMo and Santana he would be a nice option. Trade him for pitching and sign a cheap vet 1B or play DD there

Dee Gordon
                          https://www.fanragsports.com/heyman-...e-gordon-best/

Dan Straily is getting bites but as predicted most teams are waiting till after FA sign. He is gonna be a hot name at the Winter Meetings and we are looking for a package like we gave for him. Something to watch is Dee Gordon AND Straily to Milwaukee,they had discussions at the trade deadline before they got Neil Walker.
                          The number of other 1B options out there limit our leverage with Bour. But it would depend on how large of a contract those guys are looking for.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                            The number of other 1B options out there limit our leverage with Bour. But it would depend on how large of a contract those guys are looking for.
                            Well if u dont wanna spend 50+million for Santana or Hosmer it doesn't. If u are Seattle would u rather spend 50 million on Santana OR spend 50 million on Bour and Otani? After the Top 3 are off the board he is a nice option for AL teams. Cheap Controllable Power

Comment

• Id be cool with keeping Bour for another year and just either trading him at the deadline or next offseason or just keeping him for a while if we cant get the package we like. He is a good power bat and is really cheap for quite a while.

Comment

Title of the article is

Well, if Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Dispatch says it's true, I guess I shouldn't argue with him, lol. A good FO doesn't get held hostage by this, plain and simple. You do not have to trade him. If you can make Stanton believe that is a real option, you take back some control. You're never going to be able to trade him to any team you like, but letting his value plummet by letting him dictate only 2 options, is not doing your job.

Comment

Working...
                                X