No announcement yet.

Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the posting process work now?

Do teams put in the $20M bid and the player chooses from those teams? Or how does a team "win" the bidding if it's capped at 20M?

Comment

• he has a weird contract situation. Im not exactly sure what the reasoning is, but he has a maximum amount he can make in a contract.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
        he has a weird contract situation. Im not exactly sure what the reasoning is, but he has a maximum amount he can make in a contract.
        Oh doesn't he fall under IFA limits or something because of his age or something like that?

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
          Oh doesn't he fall under IFA limits or something because of his age or something like that?
          i havent looked into it enough to see why he has a weird contract status, i just know that he does.

Comment

• From MLBTR:

Under MLB’s current international rules, MLB clubs can’t go past their international spending pools (as supplemented via trade) to sign Otani. Those are even more limited than might be realized, though, due to teams’ preexisting commitments with young international players. (This was already known, of course, though the details remained fuzzy.)

According to a report from the Associated Press, only six teams even have enough uncommitted pool space to offer Otani seven figures. The Rangers ($3.535MM), Yankees ($3.25MM), and Twins ($3.245MM) easily lead the way, with the Pirates ($2.2MM+), Marlins ($1.74MM), and Mariners ($1.57MM+) also have some money to spend — or, perhaps, to trade to a would-be Otani suitor. For someone who is expected to be an immediate and significant contributor at the major-league level, that’s a pittance no matter the precise amount. Of course, he’ll also have a chance to make significant income off the field and through a future extension or trip through arbitration.
            He's 23, which I think affects his status.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph View Post
              What’s the deal with Shohei Otani? Apparently he’s going to come extremely cheap. If that’s true I don’t know why they would have kept Ichiro around and truene to go after him.
              No one knows what is going on with Otani. In the new CBA he is a IFA and subject to the pools which is why the 2 favorites to sign him(Texas and NYY) saved over 3 million to sign him. However it looks like they are changing the rule for this year ONLY but no one knows yet what it will be

At this point he is a IFA subject to 2017 Pools BUT will change this weekend more than likely

He wants to sign with a AL team so he can pitch and DH

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                No one knows what is going on with Otani. In the new CBA he is a IFA and subject to the pools which is why the 2 favorites to sign him(Texas and NYY) saved over 3 million to sign him. However it looks like they are changing the rule for this year ONLY but no one knows yet what it will be

At this point he is a IFA subject to 2017 Pools BUT will change this weekend more than likely

He wants to sign with a AL team so he can pitch and DH
                As much as I like the NL style of play, I'm close to the where I think we should just have the DH in both leagues.

Comment

• I just hope we use the remaining 1.74 million. Either try to sign Julio Pablo Martinez with it or trade it to someone(who wants Otani but needs more $) for prospects/picks in 2018. As seen LY u can get some talent for IFA Pool Cash now

This is the 1 thing we need to do every single year if we want to be a real team-use ALL the money they let u use. I have no issue with a 2/3 yr rebuild as long as they spend all the IFA cash every year and draft actual talent. No more 25 yr old college seniors who u release 6 months later in Round 13-take guys with talent even if hard signs

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                    As much as I like the NL style of play, I'm close to the where I think we should just have the DH in both leagues.
                    i agree with that. I cant stand the pitcher taking up a useless spot in the order.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                      i agree with that. I cant stand the pitcher taking up a useless spot in the order.
                      Well just aside from that, it limits NL clubs in other areas:

-Potential pitcher injuries - with how expensive starters are getting, do we need to have the pitcher trying to bunt every 9 ABs?
                      -Contract lengths (AL clubs can offer longer contracts with the DH....now, that can be good and bad for a team, as adding more years can become an albatross, but it can also affect whether a player will sign with the team)
                      -Player rest - AL teams can rotate guys in and out of the DH for 'days off' while still having their bat in the lineup
                      -Players like Ohtani - there aren't too many of these right now, but I won't be surprised to see more come around as players 'evolve.'

Hardcore traditionalists will be against it, and owners might not want to play another player, but it could be a bone to throw the union when owners want concessions in other areas (we won't expand X that you want, but here we'll give you the DH - more salaries - in exchange for this thing we want).

---

Don't get me wrong - I love seeing a pitcher occasionally get a big hit to put the club ahead, and I like the strategy that comes with NL play (not to mention the escape hatch they usually are in a jam), but I just think we're nearing the point where the switch needs to be made to equalize the playing field.

Comment

• According to the Herald, talks with the Red Sox may be "heating up".

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...184112096.html

They would be a good match for a Stanton trade. They have young outfielders and pitching prospects to deal.

Comment

• He gone. Thx for the homers.
                          "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                          - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Ive said for a while the Red Sox are a great partner. Give us one of Devers/Benintendi, Rodriguez, and a prospect.

Comment

• I understand that Marcell Ozuna is an exceptionally talented 27-year-old and that Justin Bour is a moderately talented 29-year-old. Ozuna alone could bring back a prospect haul in a trade and Bour has trade value as well.

However, the Marlins could significantly cut payroll with this trade:

OF Marcell Ozuna (two years with a projected 2018 salary of $10.9 million)
                              1B Justin Bour (three years with a projected 2018 salary of $3.5 million)
                              SP Wei-Yin Chen (three years and $65 million in obligations)

to Seattle Mariners for

OF Guillermo Heredia (five years of team control)
                              1B Dan Vogelbach (six years of team control)

The Marlins get out from under about $100 million in future obligations and receive Heredia and Vogelbach as low-end potential replacements for Ozuna and Bour.

A steep second-half swoon this year left the nearly 27-year-old Heredia with only 1.0 bWAR and 0.0 fWAR in 123 games but the early Steamer projection for 2018 has the Cuban outfielder at 1.2 WAR in 144 games:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...21&position=OF

Vogelbach, who turns 25 next month, has struggled mightily in the small sample of 24 MLB games despite a .287/.390/.476/.866 line in 669 minor league games. Steamer projects a 2018 WAR of 0.7 in 136 games:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=vogelb000dan

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...30&position=1B

Seattle would assume the significant risk that the negative value of the Chen contract would outweigh the surplus value of two years of Ozuna and three years of Bour.

Thoughts?
                              Last edited by harmony; 11-11-2017, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• That would be an absolutely horrific trade.

Comment

Working...
                                X