Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    Well thats why I keep saying u have to see who we get back in the first 1 or 2 trades we make. If we are getting guys Mike Hill likes(people know a few names) or guys Denbo likes it will show how much power Mike Hill has. It is believed that its Jeter/Denbo/Jim Hendry(maybe?) show with Mike Hill the President only because Denbo dealing with the system right now and doesn't wanna have to do 10 jobs
    Hendry isn't part of the organization (yet?).

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
      Hendry isn't part of the organization (yet?).
      Why I said maybe? He is rumored to be the new GM

Comment

• I get wanting to get rid of Stanton's deal, but I think they'd be making a big mistake to trade him and get an underwhelming package back because they won't eat any money. You have an opportunity for a really nice rebuild here. Just eat some of the money and cut cost elsewhere. A half-ass rebuild won't do anything for this franchise. With the financial limitations, you absolutely have to hit when you trade your stars.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
          I get wanting to get rid of Stanton's deal, but I think they'd be making a big mistake to trade him and get an underwhelming package back because they won't eat any money. You have an opportunity for a really nice rebuild here. Just eat some of the money and cut cost elsewhere. A half-ass rebuild won't do anything for this franchise. With the financial limitations, you absolutely have to hit when you trade your stars.
          I completely agree. We've seen enough pure money dump moves.

It'll be hard enough to spin trading an MVP to the fanbase. Getting back a lesser package just because of money will make that pill even harder to swallow.

Comment

• https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...-mlb-deal.html

Do we know anything about this Julio Pablo Martinez guy?

Comment

I get wanting to get rid of Stanton's deal, but I think they'd be making a big mistake to trade him and get an underwhelming package back because they won't eat any money. You have an opportunity for a really nice rebuild here. Just eat some of the money and cut cost elsewhere. A half-ass rebuild won't do anything for this franchise. With the financial limitations, you absolutely have to hit when you trade your stars.
              The first thing we need to do is get the list of teams he is willing to go. LA/SF both don't mind the contract that much well with LA u might have to take Adrian Gonzalez's contract for 1 year and they won't trade Buehler or Verdugo. Maybe u can get Yadier Alvarez? SF just doesn't have the prospects,they have Heliot Ramos who is years off and a few good ML ready guys

If he is willing to go to St Louis,Boston or Toronto then hell ya u eat some cash and get a Ozuna type package. U ask for Flaherty,Hudson,Bader and more. The problem is the no trade clause he still hasn't budged from LA or SF

The smart play is try to trade him to LA for Adrian Gonzalez's contract,Mitchell White,Keibert Ruiz,Omar Estevez and 2 other prospects. Get 5 prospects for system and lose 250 million. Gonzalez costs 21.5 million next year

This system needs quantity as much as it needs quality.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
              https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...-mlb-deal.html

Do we know anything about this Julio Pablo Martinez guy?
              CF 5'10 180 21 yrs old. Was considered one of the best young guys in Cuba

We still have 1.75 million left in our pool for this year so we have that in our favor. Most teams have already spent what they can,can't go over 300K or are saving for Otani

Only six teams even have enough uncommitted pool space. The Rangers ($3.535MM), Yankees ($3.25MM), and Twins ($3.245MM) easily lead the way, with the Pirates ($2.2MM+), Marlins ($1.74MM), and Mariners ($1.57MM+). All other teams have less than 1 million. This is till 6/15/18 when the money resets for July 2
              Last edited by tjfla; 11-08-2017, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Adrian Gonzalez is also still productive when he is healthy and you could probably flip him to someone at the deadline if he plays well in the early part of the year.

Comment

The first thing we need to do is get the list of teams he is willing to go. LA/SF both don't mind the contract that much well with LA u might have to take Adrian Gonzalez's contract for 1 year and they won't trade Buehler or Verdugo. Maybe u can get Yadier Alvarez? SF just doesn't have the prospects,they have Heliot Ramos who is years off and a few good ML ready guys

If he is willing to go to St Louis,Boston or Toronto then hell ya u eat some cash and get a Ozuna type package. U ask for Flaherty,Hudson,Bader and more. The problem is the no trade clause he still hasn't budged from LA or SF

The smart play is try to trade him to LA for Adrian Gonzalez's contract,Mitchell White,Keibert Ruiz,Omar Estevez and 2 other prospects. Get 5 prospects for system and lose 250 million. Gonzalez costs 21.5 million next year

This system needs quantity as much as it needs quality.
                  This system certainly . needs quantity, but they need quality far more. The quantity will come with the number of players they're about to deal. If you don't get quality, the rebuild will be worthless. This team will never be a major player in free agency, so if you ever want to be a contender, you need to build with young talent like the Cubs and Astros did.

I don't see how you trade Stanton and don't get back either of a team's top 2 prospects. I don't see how you trade him and don't get a top 25 prospect, period, unless you are getting a young talented MLB player. You're talking about the likely MVP who just entered his prime. Yes, it's a big deal, but that's why you eat some of it. You cannot let that be prohibitive here in getting back a great return. A good GM would make sure that happens. I'm not sure Miami has a good GM, though.

As for his NTC. That is a factor only if you let it be. The Marlins ultimately have the bargaining power here. Stanton doesn't want to spend the rest of his prime on a rebuilding team. If he says he only wants to go to LA or SF, I'm calling his bluff. I just don't buy that he's going to turn down going to a contender. I'm cool with trying to get him to a preferred spot if the return is fair, but I'm not going to let that hurt his value.

Comment

This system certainly . needs quantity, but they need quality far more. The quantity will come with the number of players they're about to deal. If you don't get quality, the rebuild will be worthless. This team will never be a major player in free agency, so if you ever want to be a contender, you need to build with young talent like the Cubs and Astros did.

I don't see how you trade Stanton and don't get back either of a team's top 2 prospects. I don't see how you trade him and don't get a top 25 prospect, period, unless you are getting a young talented MLB player. You're talking about the likely MVP who just entered his prime. Yes, it's a big deal, but that's why you eat some of it. You cannot let that be prohibitive here in getting back a great return. A good GM would make sure that happens. I'm not sure Miami has a good GM, though.

As for his NTC. That is a factor only if you let it be. The Marlins ultimately have the bargaining power here. Stanton doesn't want to spend the rest of his prime on a rebuilding team. If he says he only wants to go to LA or SF, I'm calling his bluff. I just don't buy that he's going to turn down going to a contender. I'm cool with trying to get him to a preferred spot if the return is fair, but I'm not going to let that hurt his value.
                    I think it is gonna seriously help our case if Boras is asking for a $200 million deal for JD martinez like it is rumored. I think the Red Sox are the team that will ultimately end up with Stanton. Mark it down.

Comment

Post Of The Month candidate right here.

Comment

• The A's are apparently interested in Yelich or Ozuna.

So in a typical Marlins move, we'll trade both there for a bag of peanuts.

Comment

How do we have the bargaining power? If Stanton gives us LA and SF as the only 2 teams and we say no then his contract stays on the books till he opts out and goes where he wants. I agree he is worth Top prospects but if u only have 2 teams fighting for him instead of 10 then u arent getting that

Exatly how we need to build-if u noticed Houston and Cubs neither really went with quality they went to quantity. They made trades and instead of asking for Top 3 Prospect they asked for 2 Top 10 and a low level prospect,hit the IFA market hard and instead of drafting a Top 5 talent then Round 3/4 talent with the first picks they drafted 3 Round 1 prospects

Houston 2012 draft-They take Carlos Correa #1(was a Top 7-10 prospect but took him to save cash),Lance McCullers #41(Was a Top 15 Prospect but asking price was nuts) then used more savings for Rio Ruiz,Brett Phillips,Preston Tucker

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                          The A's are apparently interested in Yelich or Ozuna.

So in a typical Marlins move, we'll trade both there for a bag of peanuts.
                          25 teams want Yelich or Ozuna and Oakland doesn't have the farm system for either of them.

By way if anyone wants to see what Ozuna's FA asking price will be just look at JD Martinez. Boras(Ozuna's agent too) wants 200 million for him which means Ozuna 225-250 million. This is also the reason why Boston/St Louis/Toronto want Stanton to put them on his list-they would rather have Stanton for 275 million than JD Martinez for 200 million

Jay Bruce wants 5/90 HAHAHA
                          Last edited by tjfla; 11-09-2017, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• I think you are overrating Stanton's bargaining power. He obviously has the NTC, but he has also publicly stated he doesnt want to rebuild. He can throw a fit and limit our potential trade partners and then we in turn can strip down the entire team around him and he can rot in baseball purgatory for a few years, which neither side wants.

Dont really see a great Oakland match either.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                              I think you are overrating Stanton's bargaining power. He obviously has the NTC, but he has also publicly stated he doesnt want to rebuild. He can throw a fit and limit our potential trade partners and then we in turn can strip down the entire team around him and he can rot in baseball purgatory for a few years, which neither side wants.

Dont really see a great Oakland match either.
                              Thats the question they are asking him-does he want to rot till 2020 in Miami then pick where he wants to go OR does he want to go to Boston/Toronto for the next 8 years? At this point he is saying West Coast only

I agree with everyone that if he says Boston or St Louis is fine too then we have bargaining power but if he says LA/SF then he has all the power

Comment

Thats the question they are asking him-does he want to rot till 2020 in Miami then pick where he wants to go OR does he want to go to Boston/Toronto for the next 8 years? At this point he is saying West Coast only

I agree with everyone that if he says Boston or St Louis is fine too then we have bargaining power but if he says LA/SF then he has all the power
                                who says he would not be able to opt out in a few years no matter where he goes? That would probably be best for all parties involved anyway. Him being traded doesnt mean he has to opt in. SOme teams might want it, but it is in no way guaranteed if he he is traded.

Comment

Working...
                                X