Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    I know they would never do this, but id love to see us throw in cash for 6 years for stanton at, say, 10 million a year, if that means we could get 2 top prospects for him. The rationale being that we can get to top prospects and wouldnt have to pay them much of anything for 6 years until they get around free agency/arbitration, and then once they are in line for a big deal we would be done paying stanton at all.

I know they are interested, but i really hope we dont go the SF route. Go to LA or Boston and maybe even NYY and get the best haul you can get.

- - - - - - - - - -

Who knows, but cant operate based solely on fan sentiment. IF we had good attendance when he was here, maybe, but you dont get to cry foul when we have been the lowest attendance team in the league even with him.
    With the season Stanton just had I think his contract is pretty fair to the market value, the issue is the no trade clause. If Stanton truly only wants to go to the west coast we won't have enough teams to bid for him. If it was open to everyone I'd think even with his contract you'd get back two extremely high end prospects.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Godfather View Post
      With the season Stanton just had I think his contract is pretty fair to the market value, the issue is the no trade clause. If Stanton truly only wants to go to the west coast we won't have enough teams to bid for him. If it was open to everyone I'd think even with his contract you'd get back two extremely high end prospects.
      I think if we do a true, full rebuild, stanton loses his leverage somewhat. IF we start by trading Ozuna, then Dee, etc, then come to stanton and say, you can stay here and waste your career for a couple years and just earn your money, or you can help us out and we will facilitate both of our interests and get you to a contender, he will work with us. He doesnt want to stay here if we do a full rebuild, and it makes no sense for us to keep him if we do a full rebuild. I think that is where he will compromise. So I think we will have SF, LA, BOS, and maybe NYY in the bidding for him, and that will be enough to generate a large enough market to get us the haul for him without us having to eat a significant amount of money.

I also dont get the idea that his contract is some ridiculous albatross. I think if he had been healthy for going on 2 years rather than just this past year being his really only healthy season aside from i think it was 2013 where he was healthy and just got hit in the face in September, this would be a different story. But i 100% agree, i think if he is healthy, his contract is reasonable to a large market teamm 100%.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
      Let's do it. I always wanted to meet tj's secret source.
      just find a way into the bathroom at marlins park while its being cleaned..... jk TJ... kind of...

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
        Let's do it. I always wanted to meet tj's secret source.
        Secret source won't be there but I will be. Hang out at Swan and Dolphin,walk the Boardwalk then Seafood Buffet at the Beach Club

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
        What would one do, as a fan, if they were to show up at Winter Meetings? Is it like a convention? Would you stand outside meeting rooms with your ear to the door?
        Its like a convention. Owners,GM's,Agents,Players,Writers just walking around talking. Its boring after the first day or 2 and the last day everyone is gone except 2 or 3 guys per team who are doing the Rule 5

First day is fun u see GM's with agents/players alot. It used to be alot easier to go but security has clamped down alot.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
        I know they would never do this, but id love to see us throw in cash for 6 years for stanton at, say, 10 million a year, if that means we could get 2 top prospects for him. The rationale being that we can get to top prospects and wouldnt have to pay them much of anything for 6 years until they get around free agency/arbitration, and then once they are in line for a big deal we would be done paying stanton at all.

I know they are interested, but i really hope we dont go the SF route. Go to LA or Boston and maybe even NYY and get the best haul you can get.

- - - - - - - - - -

Who knows, but cant operate based solely on fan sentiment. IF we had good attendance when he was here, maybe, but you dont get to cry foul when we have been the lowest attendance team in the league even with him.
        His contract isn't the big issue anymore,the issue is the no trade clause. SF,LA,St Louis,Toronto,Boston would take his contract especially when they see a JD Martinez getting 5/150. The #1 thing is try to get him the ok 4 or 5 team and move on from there. He has all the leverage since he can say NO to a team

Its hard to ask a team for more when they are pretty much bidding against themselves. If he says 4 teams then u can ask the Dodgers/Boston for more. SF however u are pretty much stuck with a Heliot Ramos and 2 of Arroyo,Shaw,Suarez,Beede type deal

- - - - - - - - - -

Teams in the AL are looking at Justin Bour as a much cheaper backup option to Eric Hosmer. Boston has interest in both and if KC loses Hosmer and keeps other guys they would look at him as well
        Last edited by tjfla; 11-03-2017, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• We declined Ichiro's player option and claimed Chad Wallach back off waivers from the Reds.

Comment

• There goes $2M off the books.

Comment

• Perplexing. Since you figure the rebuild is on, having a guy that can play all 3 OF positions, and hit leadoff (lol) is kind of useful for a rebuilding club. Plus, the buyout means it's really only $1.5 in savings.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post

Its like a convention. Owners,GM's,Agents,Players,Writers just walking around talking. Its boring after the first day or 2 and the last day everyone is gone except 2 or 3 guys per team who are doing the Rule 5

First day is fun u see GM's with agents/players alot. It used to be alot easier to go but security has clamped down alot.
                TJ got his complete set of Fleer Heads of Player Development cards signed at this thing.

Comment

We declined Ichiro's player option and claimed Chad Wallach back off waivers from the Reds.
                  No surprise about Ichiro(well maybe to some on this board)

Chad Wallach was drafted by us and is Tim's kid. Likely our 3rd C in AAA but maybe ML Backup? Telis and Austin Nola aren't safe

Miguel Del Pozo was also added to the 40 man. TJ missed a year but looked great in 2017. Andy Beltre and Braxton Lee will also likely be added before Rule 5. Talking about Ichiro and Lee,Lee will likely be replacing Ichiro as the 4th OF and he is tearing up the AFL. .362AVG/.415OBP

C Rodrigo Vigil is the backup C in the AFL but he may have played his way into staying in our system.Only 24 AB's but .412/.444/.708 with 1 HR. He is more of a defense/backup type

- - - - - - - - - -

Buster Olney‏Verified account @Buster_ESPN · 18h18 hours ago
                  Marlins communicated to other teams they are open to offers for Giancarlo Stanton, Dee Gordon, Martin Prado. For now, not Yelich or Ozuna.

Nothing new but it's funny how Jeter is playing it.Jeter is acting like they are off the market when in reality he already has an offer for Yelich that meets the "asking" price they set and 2 teams(St Louis,Toronto are waiting to fight over Ozuna with alot more waiting in the wings especially the low market teams)
                  Last edited by tjfla; 11-04-2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• what is the offer that meets the asking price

Comment

what is the offer that meets the asking price
                      No team has been mentioned but rumor is its the Phillies. Moniak,Sixto Sanchez and more. Probably the reason why they are acting like he is off the market #1 Don't think they wanna trade guys in the NL East and #2 the guys are far off. They prefer not to see Yelich much and they prefer guys closer to ML ready

Just saying they have an offer that meets the asking price they set

Mentioned this few weeks ago but Philly is even willing to take a contract to get a Stanton,Yelich from us. The rumor is its Volquez NOT Chen or Prado
                      Last edited by tjfla; 11-04-2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• Im usually against the conventional wisdom of not trading within your division, but I support it in regards to Stanton and Yelich. Ozuna id be cool with dealing to the braves or phillies if they want him because he would leave in free agency in a few years, but Yelich and Stanton will be there for years to come so im actually cool with that.

Comment

• The Cardinals have been linked to Giancarlo Stanton in trade speculation since the summer, and now Peter Gammons of GammonsDaily.com writes that the Cards are reportedly willing to offer the Marlins “one of their best young pitchers” in a Stanton trade, provided that Miami covers some of the $295MM remaining on the slugger’s enormous contract.

So cover some cash and get a Flaherty/Hudson led deal for Stanton OR cover NO cash and get a Flaherty/Hudson led deal for Ozuna

Mike Hill loves Dakota Hudson so he will likely be in an deal we do with St Louis and they like Reyes but prefer Flaherty due to health.
                          Last edited by tjfla; 11-04-2017, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Id love to take a chance on Reyes but any of him Flaherty, or Weaver and i take it and run along with one of their OF prospects.

Comment

Im usually against the conventional wisdom of not trading within your division, but I support it in regards to Stanton and Yelich. Ozuna id be cool with dealing to the braves or phillies if they want him because he would leave in free agency in a few years, but Yelich and Stanton will be there for years to come so im actually cool with that.
                              Well u really don't have to trade any of them in the NL East. Its not like the market is bare which is why its funny Jeter is playing like they are off the market. Soon as JD Martinez signs any team that wants an OF or power bat will be calling us.

Stanton-LA,SF,St Louis,Boston
                              Ozuna-St Louis,Toronto,Boston,NYY,lower market teams
                              Yelich-St Louis,Toronto,Philly,lower market teams

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                              Id love to take a chance on Reyes but any of him Flaherty, or Weaver and i take it and run along with one of their OF prospects.
                              Ya still think its Flaherty,Hudson,Junior Fernandez,Harrison Bader and another prospect or 2 for Ozuna and maybe a RP. Stanton and NO cash to LA or SF for 3 or 4 prospects

Reyes has most talent but the injury brings him down and if we take Flaherty instead of Reyes or Weaver we could then say give us a Junior Fernandez and better prospects

Comment

• Hudson would be such a mike hill move. Pitcher with limited K ability and thus limited potential.

- - - - - - - - - -

If we are able to get Stanton to accept a trade to STL for Weaver/Flaherty and then an OF prospect, id love to see us offer Ozuna to Tor and get Vlad JR and another starter. That would be an incredible start to a rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                                X