Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
    He turns singles into doubles by stealing a base. Its our ability to hit with RISP that killed us all yr. Besides pitching
    Agree that his speed does offset some of his lack of power, i'd just always go for the more powerful bat than the slap hitter. I just am not a fan of that style of player at all. You can find guys like Yelich who can steal bases AND still display power. All in all it doesnt really matter, its more of a stylistic preference for me. I do like Dee as a player, just dont like his style of player anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
      Brewers would be a good fit for Straily
      Brewers were in on him at the deadline. Alot of teams will be on him,cheap and under control. The hope is 2 or 3 teams will miss out on a FA and be fine with him

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
        I didnt say he isnt good. I said he is overrated. Especially his bat. I love his fielding from the 2b position, and id love his bat if we were fortunate enough to have him hit 8th for us or 9th on an AL team. But as far as a leadoff hitter with this current team he is an easy choice to go given his offensive output relative to his contract. I think you can get someone to out produce him from an OPS standpoint. I think Dietrich can out OPS him and give the lineup more power than Dee can. My biggest thing with Dee is an absolute inability to hit for anything other than slapping singles.

I didn’t say you said he wasn’t good. I said you said he was overrated. Jesus, dude.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
          I was being sarcastic. In fish16’s lengthy last post he says Dee is overrated.
          got it - i don't read those text walls.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
            I didn’t say you said he wasn’t good. I said you said he was overrated. Jesus, dude.
            And i was clarifying what i meant by overrated. I never claimed that you said i said he wasnt good (is this inception).

- - - - - - - - - -

Really wonder what we would get from the brewers in a straily trade. I feel like it wouldnt involve any major leaguers because they wouldnt trade any rotation piece for obvious reasons, and there really isnt a matchup lineup wise for us. So it would have to be prospect driven. Maybe luis ortiz, keston hiura, and a lower level pitching prospect like Bickford or Kodi Medeiros.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
              And i was clarifying what i meant by overrated. I never claimed that you said i said he wasnt good (is this inception).

- - - - - - - - - -

Really wonder what we would get from the brewers in a straily trade. I feel like it wouldnt involve any major leaguers because they wouldnt trade any rotation piece for obvious reasons, and there really isnt a matchup lineup wise for us. So it would have to be prospect driven. Maybe luis ortiz, keston hiura, and a lower level pitching prospect like Bickford or Kodi Medeiros.
              ML Ready SP and more. They asked for Luis Ortiz,Dubon and another prospect and were rejected at the deadline. I could see Corbin Burnes,Freddy Peralta and a project player but I wouldn't get too crazy about the Brewers. Whoever misses on a FA SP and doesn't wanna pay some #3 guy 30 million would be on him.

They want the package they gave up for him

Comment

• Dan Greenlee, Yankees Player Development Analyst has been hired by Jeter as Director of Player Personnel.

Comment

• Signing some impressive guys from NYY now we just need to spend the cash to get the talent. Hopefully we hit the IFA/Draft this hard and build the system

Comment

• Man, I'm seeing this Conine thing everywhere. I'm conflicted, because I'd like to see us keep good terms with Conine, and embrace small amount of happy history we have with this franchise, but on the other hand we're all aware that these were ceremonial positions that didn't need to exist. End of the day, could've been handled better by Jeter and Co, but why do I get the feeling Samson and Loria are somehow responsible for this getting as much pub as it's getting?

Again hopefully Conine stays on the broadcast team, although I'm not sure how likely that is at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                      Man, I'm seeing this Conine thing everywhere. I'm conflicted, because I'd like to see us keep good terms with Conine, and embrace small amount of happy history we have with this franchise, but on the other hand we're all aware that these were ceremonial positions that didn't need to exist. End of the day, could've been handled better by Jeter and Co, but why do I get the feeling Samson and Loria are somehow responsible for this getting as much pub as it's getting?

Again hopefully Conine stays on the broadcast team, although I'm not sure how likely that is at this point.
                      Agreed. It's disappointing that they couldn't keep him around, but at the same time, I think it's necessary that the new ownership bring in the people they know and trust. Conine and Samson are very tight, so if you are going to change the culture, you kind of need a clean break.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                        Man, I'm seeing this Conine thing everywhere. I'm conflicted, because I'd like to see us keep good terms with Conine, and embrace small amount of happy history we have with this franchise, but on the other hand we're all aware that these were ceremonial positions that didn't need to exist. End of the day, could've been handled better by Jeter and Co, but why do I get the feeling Samson and Loria are somehow responsible for this getting as much pub as it's getting?

I like conine, but im just so indifferent about it because i would be so ok with having nobody who was part of the organization under Loria still part of the organization now. I hope Conine stays a part of the broadcast though.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                          Agreed. It's disappointing that they couldn't keep him around, but at the same time, I think it's necessary that the new ownership bring in the people they know and trust. Conine and Samson are very tight, so if you are going to change the culture, you kind of need a clean break.
                          Conine and Sampson were both on the Paul Castronovo show on big 105.9 the other morning.

Comment

• http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...181739531.html

Apparently ownership has determined a "preferred" path to getting to $90M:

The Marlins privately have come up with a preferred path to meet their $90 million payroll target, but whether it’s entirely realistic is debatable.

According to two sources, the Marlins will look to trade outfielder Giancarlo Stanton, who’s due $25 million next season, and also will try to trade second baseman Dee Gordon and third baseman Martin Prado.
                            A few other tidbits:
                            • The number of Marlins employees fired by Jeter is now well above 20, with outfield/baserunning coach Lorenzo Bundy and bullpen coach Jeff Urgelles and the top two public relations/communications executives – among the latest purged.

• Jeter called Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez last week to introduce himself. They hope to meet eventually.

• Manager Don Mattingly, expected to return, will meet with Jeter in the coming days and told The New York Post that “I think this is a chance to make long-term baseball decisions. How do we grow, get better and stay that way? That is the challenge in Miami, kind of like Houston, how do you do something sustainable?... I am in. I knew what I signed up for.”

• Just as Jeff Conine told us he was turning down Jeter’s unappealing offer to stay with the team, Tony Perez told FanRag Sports that he and Andre Dawson rejected Jeter’s offer to stay with the Marlins with diminished responsibilities and a pay cut from $100,000 to $25,000. Jeter previously told then-president David Samson to fire all three, then came back with diminished offers after receiving criticism for that. Jack McKeon, also let go, was not given an offer.

• Jeter has been hiring a few people from Wall Street for major jobs. Caroline O’Connor, who has a background in finance and wealth management, was appointed to position of chief of staff – which is common in political offices but a rare title for sports teams.

• Former owner Jeffrey Loria turned down an offer to be ambassador to France for personal reasons, according to a friend of his.

Comment

• Nothing new. I like the "leak" tho. Tell teams Ozuna,Bour,Straily,Yelich u wanna keep which means if they want them have to make a great offer.

Prado will cost us cash to get rid of so the preferred plan isn't realistic but nice to see an actually plan
                              Last edited by tjfla; 10-31-2017, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                                Nothing new. I like the "leak" tho. Tell teams Ozuna,Bour,Straily,Yelich u wanna keep which means if they want them have to make a great offer.

Prado will cost us cash to get rid of so the preferred plan isn't realistic but nice to see an actually plan
                                Odd that they don’t mention Ziegler and his $9 million. They’d have to throw in some money, but I’d think someone would be willing to take a chance on him bouncing back.

Comment

Working...
                                X