Mark Buehrle Might Be On the Market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Buehrle Might Be On the Market

Mark Buehrle won't be on the market when Major League baseball free agency begins six days after the World Series. That doesn't mean he's not an option as the Minnesota Twins try to fix their starting rotation, again.

It is believed the Twins quietly were among the most serious suitors for Buehrle's services last year, before the veteran left-hander signed a four-year, $58 million deal with the Miami Marlins in early December.

While the Marlins underachieved, Buehrle had a vintage season at age 33, posting a 3.74 earned-run average while walking only 40 batters in 202 1/3 innings -- the 12th consecutive season he has passed the 200-inning mark.

According to league sources, though, not only are the Marlins open to trading Buehrle this winter, they would also be willing to eat a significant chunk of the $48 million remaining on his back-loaded contract, which guarantees $11 million next year, $18 million in 2014 and $19 million in 2015.

The Twins, or any other potential suitor, would need to give up a good prospect or two, sources said, and the quality of those prospects likely hinges partly on how much money they would want Miami to kick in.

With Scott Diamond currently the only pitcher penciled into next year's rotation, the Twins are hoping to bring in two or three new starters this winter via trade or free agency.

General manager Terry Ryan says he will do due diligence on top free agents such as Zack Greinke and others, but prices for top-of-the-rotation arms are likely to be too lofty for the Twins, who head into the offseason with approximately $74 million tied up in the 2013 payroll.

Twins decision-makers always admired Buehrle's durability and leadership from afar when he pitched for the Chicago White Sox. Over the last decade-plus, Buehrle has been perhaps the most durable pitcher in baseball, averaging 219 innings per season since 2001 with a 3.81 ERA.

Since 2005, the Twins have received 200 innings from a starting pitcher only five times from men not named Johan Santana (Carl Pavano twice, Scott Baker, Nick Blackburn, Carlos Silva).

After signing free agents to nearly $200 million worth of contracts last winter, the Marlins have spent the last few months dumping salary and booting out malcontents.

Prior to the July 31 trade deadline, Miami traded Hanley Ramirez ($15 million) and Randy Choate ($1.5 million) to the Los Angeles Dodgers for two young pitchers. They also dealt Omar Infante ($4 million) and Anibal Sanchez ($8 million) to the Detroit Tigers for top pitching prospect Jacob Turner and two other minor leaguers, although Sanchez's impending free agency played a role in this deal as well. Right-hander Edward Mujica ($1.6 million) was traded too.

Last week, Miami fired manager Ozzie Guillen with three years and $7.5 million remaining on his contract.

Earlier this month, Miami traded underperforming reliever Heath Bell to the Arizona Diamondbacks for a light-hitting, 22-year-old, Single-A shortstop named Yordy Cabrera. Most important, Miami also picked up $8 million of the $21 million remaining on Bell's contract.

Right-hander Josh Johnson, who will earn $13.75 million in the final year of his contract next season, is also believed to be available.

Marlins' brass thought a new ballpark and a big splash in free agency would generate wins and excitement, but 2012 turned out to be a disappointment on all fronts. The Marlins finished 18th in total attendance, bringing only 27,400 fans per game, and that figure might sink lower following a 93-loss season. Prior to the new ballpark, Miami averaged 19,000 fans per game (28th in MLB).

Twins starters posted a 5.40 ERA collectively last season, which was the American League's worst mark.
    http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/M..._Buehrle102812
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

I want to call them clowns, but this is a whatever news story so who knows.

But if they eat a significant amount of Buerhle's contract, they are clowns

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
      I want to call them clowns, but this is a whatever news story so who knows.

But if they eat a significant amount of Buerhle's contract, they are clowns
      Unfortunately they are going to have to look like clowns to get out from underwater so to speak.

I am guessing they are cutting or trying to cut as much as possible for a variety of reasons, but paramount is the higher payroll.

They took on that payroll because they anticipated being good enough that it would keep attendance going all of last year. Last year bombed on them, and then attendance at the end of the year fell off significantly. I know that many people I know of, including myself are not going to renew, so even if they sell out opening day, I suspect they already know that season ticket sales are going to be slow - maybe even very, very slow and they are trying their best now to divest in order to salvage something for 2013 and set themselves up for another push in 2014.

Just the way I see it.

Comment

I would agree with you if they were underwater, but they are not and have plenty of money to keep Buerhle moving forward with this team. 2014 payroll would be around $68 million even with a large deal to Stanton, and they would presumably have 4/5 rotation (Buerhle, Turner, Fernandez, Eovaldi/Hand), all position players besides 3B (I am assuming Yelich/Ruggiano will adequetely handle CF), and just need to add some bench/back of pen.

Adding $25 million on a SP, 3B, and depth, would make them 15th in payroll (2012 numbers).

They cannot use their incompetence to blame payroll anymore. They got the building. They have greater revenue streams. Use it.

Comment

Don't expect Buerhle to be traded unless we recieve a Young ML Ready SP in return. The way he is seen by the FO is a veteran arm who can pitch 200 innings and help our young staff plus at 11 mil for 2013 he is a bargain.

Now with that said IF Minnesota or another team calls and offers a Young ML Ready SP and would eat the contract he is probably dealt too

Comment

Despite just saying I think they are nuts to move Buerhle as they really need those innings, I think a cool hypothetical trade with Minnesota could be something like this, just to exchange problem areas on the team (and maintain devoting to payroll)

Buerhle (makes $52 mil next 3 seasons), Ozuna, and let's say $7 million in cash (gonna eat something) for
            Span and Perkins (make $30 mil next 3 seasons), and some whatever relievers in A ball

Marlins have longterm CF, a much needed dominant 7-8th inning lefty, and save $15 million over three seasons. Minn gets the veteran SP they want, and a power OF prospect whom Marlins don't need given Stanton, Span, Yelich, and Ruggiano all under control for years. Minn has CF to replace in house making Span tradeable.

Would be really nice to completely lock down the OF, and considering Bonifacio can be used out there and I guess Morrison, they could three infielders (along with ruggiano) on the bench so there are a multitude of options at 3B to try and get production there.

Devote rest of payroll to another SP.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
              Despite just saying I think they are nuts to move Buerhle as they really need those innings, I think a cool hypothetical trade with Minnesota could be something like this, just to exchange problem areas on the team (and maintain devoting to payroll)

Buerhle (makes $52 mil next 3 seasons), Ozuna, and let's say $7 million in cash (gonna eat something) for
              Span and Perkins (make $30 mil next 3 seasons), and some whatever relievers in A ball

Marlins have longterm CF, a much needed dominant 7-8th inning lefty, and save $15 million over three seasons. Minn gets the veteran SP they want, and a power OF prospect whom Marlins don't need given Stanton, Span, Yelich, and Ruggiano all under control for years. Minn has CF to replace in house making Span tradeable.

Would be really nice to completely lock down the OF, and considering Bonifacio can be used out there and I guess Morrison, they could three infielders (along with ruggiano) on the bench so there are a multitude of options at 3B to try and get production there.

Devote rest of payroll to another SP.
              Totally agree with u,problem is Minnesota prolly would rather try to get Buerhle for paying off his contract(Like the Heath Bell trade) then trade Span and Perkins for young SP's.

Minnesota's issue is they have 1 or 2 SP arms in MLB/AAA/AA,they need SP arms bad. There thinking is get a expensive arm they can eat innings and mentor then trade Span and Perkins(helps with the cost of that pitcher) for younger ML Ready SP.

From what I heard tho is unless we get a Young ML Ready SP and some salary relief in return we are gonna keep Buehrle this year. Next winter is a totally different story but as of right now thats the FO plan

Comment

I don't think that trade makes any sense for Minnesota.

Also, if the Marlins want to trade Buehrle, I think this would be the offseason to do that.

Comment

Sure, but Minn was shopping both Span and Perkins this deadline and have other CF options. Perkins is certainly a luxury. I am not sure those guys get them a "Turner" level prospect as is, and they seem to want a vet to "lead" what is going to be a younger staff more than likely. Likewise, if they are going to take on some real salary, they will have to send some out and those two are their 4th and 5th largest contracts on books after Mauer, Morneau, and Hammer, which would allow them to also sign multiple other veteran guys. Plus Ozuna is not a chump throw in. Not many guys his age have three 20+ HR years in a row at his age. They can sit on him 2 years. And if not Buerhle, send them Hand and Conley. Get a longterm fucking center fielder already. Stop playing guys out of position. Yelich is a left fielder. Ruggiano is a 4th outfielder on a good team. Get a center fielder who is a plus fielder in your massive ballpark.

And yea, if they do trade him it's this offseason as he really makes a lot in 14-15. They would have to eat some off that regardless, but a lot less right now.

Still fucking clowns. If they dump him just to save money, I lose it. If they trade him to get better, no sweat (and that really goes for anyone). I am not optimistic.

Comment

Working...
                  X