Marlins Acquire Andrew Cashner and Colin Rea from Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nny View Post
    I don't disagree with the fact they have basically always overpayed, but I would say the bigger issue is lack of any kind of pipeline. Most every other team can make buying trades without issue. Terrible drafting and completely lack of IFA expounds how painful it is to lose young talent. They over pay with a resource that is more valuable to themselves than to others. It's pretty hilarious
    Exactly!!! The draft pool and IFA was pretty much made for teams like us. U trade prospects for ML talent and then add the talent back in the draft and IFA. However we don't spend cash in the IFA even tho the prices are dirt cheap and in the draft they are more concerned with price than talent. Teams are taking chances and trying to sign guys after Rd 25 while we draft Bryan Morris cousin,Delpiano's friend kid and some kid who has to be related to Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
      Deal sucks and deals like this over the last 3 seasons are why the Marlins are in this predicament when it comes to the cupboard being completely bare. They've consistently over paid in just about every deal they've been a part of for a bit now. Maybe they win the World Series and it's fine. More likely though they go 7-20 in August and that's the season. They're out on young talent with upside and there's not an easy way to regain that quickly.

This roster is the result of this front office going all in over the last few seasons. This is as good as it gets in Miami for Major League Baseball. Hope they do something with it.

They've been doing this trading a dollar for 50 cents crap for way too long.

When you consider what they gave up to get Cosart (which isn't totally fair, I get that, but it is draft position at the very least) they've given up 2 top 10 1st round picks for a rent-a-4.50 ERA...albeit paid for, and a back end of the rotation kind of arm who's club controlled, but every team should have or be able to develop 3-4 of pretty easily.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
        They've been doing this trading a dollar for 50 cents crap for way too long.

When you consider what they gave up to get Cosart (which isn't totally fair, I get that, but it is draft position at the very least) they've given up 2 top 10 1st round picks for a rent-a-4.50 ERA...albeit paid for, and a back end of the rotation kind of arm who's club controlled, but every team should have or be able to develop 3-4 of pretty easily.
        U arent even mentioned the real prize in that trade-Francis Martes. Houston who has a solid scouting department stole him. In all honesty if he was still here,he would be in GBoro BUT imagine if we could have had this to offer a team

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=642564
        Last edited by tjfla; 07-29-2016, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
          U arent even mentioned the real prize in that trade-Francis Martes. Houston who has a solid scouting department stole him. In all honesty if he was still here,he would be in GBoro BUT imagine if we could have had this to offer a team

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=642564
          You could go crazy doing the look at the piece of coal that turned into a diamond game. It's the cost of doing business. But when you have a top-10 pick, it's gotta be used more efficiently than the Marlins have been doing.

Comment

• There's $2.5M left on Cashner's deal. The Padres are paying $2.275 of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
              I don't disagree with the fact they have basically always overpayed, but I would say the bigger issue is lack of any kind of pipeline. Most every other team can make buying trades without issue. Terrible drafting and completely lack of IFA expounds how painful it is to lose young talent. They over pay with a resource that is more valuable to themselves than to others. It's pretty hilarious
              The pipeline is certainly trading Fernandez, Ozuna, Ramos, Koehler, Hech, and maybe others July 31, 2018 if they are not contending.

Comment

• While sadly that's probably true, but that's pathetic and shouldn't be how a franchise is run.

Comment

• It's honesty enough at this point. What does a guy have to do to prove he is unfit as an owner. Just make him sell the team already. I think if this team
                  Had a capable owner who the fans actually trusted we'd be getting at least 5k a night more than we currently are. It's gotten to the point where people just don't care anymore and it's not fair to south Florida baseball
                  Fans. Why the fuck is this guy in a business line this if he doesn't want to spend? Who dreams of being the sports owner who everyone hates and spends no money.

I'm actually going to the game tonight and sitting 8 rows back of loria, gonna make sure he has a shitty night if all else fails

Comment

• Regardless, I think this is Loria's last hurrah.

He has Fernandez, he has the all star game, he has massive valuation of the franchise a few years into the park.

If this doesn't work, the sale is coming. I can't see that guy doing another rebuild, especially with looming Stanton opt out.

Comment

• What really gives me hope for Loria being gone after 2017 is Stanton's contract. It goes from $14.5 million in 2017 to $25 million in 2018. There's no way in hell Loria's going to be paying anyone $25 million.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                        Regardless, I think this is Loria's last hurrah.

He has Fernandez, he has the all star game, he has massive valuation of the franchise a few years into the park.

If this doesn't work, the sale is coming. I can't see that guy doing another rebuild, especially with looming Stanton opt out.
                        We can all hope!!! But what the hell are we gonna bitch about when he is gone?

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                        What really gives me hope for Loria being gone after 2017 is Stanton's contract. It goes from $14.5 million in 2017 to $25 million in 2018. There's no way in hell Loria's going to be paying anyone $25 million.
                        Chen also has to decide by 4 days after the 2017 WS if he wants 10 mil,20 mil,22 mil. Has to take ALL options together

Comment

• Also, people acting like a Stanton opt out is a done deal. I just don't see it, the power is all in his hands, and even if we're terrible, I think chances are at 31 years old 8 years/$233 million is going to be almost impossible for him to walk away from. Unless he's coming off a couple of MVP seasons or something.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                          We can all hope!!! But what the hell are we gonna bitch about when he is gone?

- - - - - - - - - -

Chen also has to decide by 4 days after the 2017 WS if he wants 10 mil,20 mil,22 mil. Has to take ALL options together
                          My God, I didn't realize Chen's contract was so back-loaded. Yeah, writing's on the wall.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                            Also, people acting like a Stanton opt out is a done deal. I just don't see it, the power is all in his hands, and even if we're terrible, I think chances are at 31 years old 8 years/$233 million is going to be almost impossible for him to walk away from. Unless he's coming off a couple of MVP seasons or something.
                            He won't and if Jeff still owns the team he likely will send Stanton to LA. After 2017(if dont win WS or Jeff owns still) Stanton to LA and Jose to Boston

- - - - - - - - - -

Backloaded and he has to decide all at once. Not after every year

Comment

• It's not even a decision. Even if Chen were to get back to being the quality pitcher he was with the Orioles, that decision is a no-brainer.

- - - - - - - - - -

Loria is paying Chen $6 million of an $80 million contract this year. Who is he trying to fool at this point?

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                                Also, people acting like a Stanton opt out is a done deal. I just don't see it, the power is all in his hands, and even if we're terrible, I think chances are at 31 years old 8 years/$233 million is going to be almost impossible for him to walk away from. Unless he's coming off a couple of MVP seasons or something.
                                Stanton will have made around $115 million, plus endorsements, at the opt out time. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who wants to play for a loser for 8 years. He already has fuck you money. Maybe I'm naive to this, but I feel if he can recoup a good portion of that, there's no way he sticks around. Like, he's going to sit around and prefer to have $325 million versus $275 million, and forgo on years of happiness playing for the Dodgers/Angels and not the suck which is Loria? He needs a third Yacht and 5th vacation property?

Right?

That's all I'm saying. No idea where that line in the sand is for him. Maybe I'm wrong and he wants the bucks. Who knows.

Comment

Working...
                                X