Marlins Acquire Andrew Cashner and Colin Rea from Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
    Loria can't pony up a couple hundred bucks to send him to New Orleans for a week?
    Nah think his house is around Jupiter,why would he wanna go to NOLA?

The routine has been get a guy send him to Jupiter and put him on the 7 Day. Benedict watches and does whatever than the guy goes whereverr

Comment

• Because no one's ever traveled away from their house? Lol

Comment

• did we really trade Capps away because he is arbitration eligible? Because if so that is one of the most damning things that can be said about Loria. Top 10 reliever in baseball a year after we wouldnt trade him for a good prospect at the deadline when we were 20 games under .500, just because he is arbitration eligible at the end of the year? How much could he possibly get coming off missing the entire year with TJ surgery.

this is an absolutely awful trade and i'm honestly not sure we're all the better. Rea is nothing and Cashner has been crap for 2 years now. Obviously its a minor improvement but this is the complete opposite of going for it. with all the pitchers we were reported in on this was the best deal we could have gotten?

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
          you can't just say "other than" and then take out a major piece of the deal, first of all. 2nd of all, regardless of Naylor's future for us, he certainly has more value than yet another #5 starter, who is a free agent at the end of the year on top of that.

The 2 rotation guys are not good. Cashner hasnt been good in about 2 years, Rea is worse than Koehler, and we just traded away our 2 top prospects, a guy we traded the #6 pick in the draft for 2 years ago, and a top 10 relief pitcher in baseball when healthy for no reason.

This is an abolutely terrible deal for the marlins from the start and in about 2-3 years is gonna look even worse. I'd have no problem if we were able to get a #2/3 kind of rotation guy in this deal, that is going for it. This is fucking pathetic.
          U need to get off the Top 2 prospects thing. Its not like we traded the #25 and #91 prospects in baseball. We traded 2 prospects who in a normal system would be #7-12 maybe even lower for 2 players who can help us this year

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
            he's the VP of pitching development, you go to him.
            This literally makes no sense to me, but ok.

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
              This can essentially be broken down into Cosart, Capps, Paddock, Naylor, and Castillo for Rodney, Cashner, Rae, and Guerrero.

Not all that sexy. And I don't even care that much about the players sent away outside of Paddock.
              you care about him so much you know exactly how to spell his 7 letter last name
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• I am not a strong speller.
                Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                Noah Perio
                Jupiter
                39 AB
                15 H
                0 2B
                0 3B
                0 HR
                0 BB
                .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                  U need to get off the Top 2 prospects thing. Its not like we traded the #25 and #91 prospects in baseball. We traded 2 prospects who in a normal system would be #7-12 maybe even lower for 2 players who can help us this year
                  Naylor is a very solid prospect and was taken in the top 12 not even a year ago. Castillo is also said by some scouts to be even a better prospect than him. At the very least they are more valuable as trade pieces than what we got. Cashner is really not very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                    This literally makes no sense to me, but ok.
                    his job is such that he does not go to work with a pitcher for a week. his work is more in depth than that

Comment

did we really trade Capps away because he is arbitration eligible? Because if so that is one of the most damning things that can be said about Loria. Top 10 reliever in baseball a year after we wouldnt trade him for a good prospect at the deadline when we were 20 games under .500, just because he is arbitration eligible at the end of the year? How much could he possibly get coming off missing the entire year with TJ surgery.

this is an absolutely awful trade and i'm honestly not sure we're all the better. Rea is nothing and Cashner has been crap for 2 years now. Obviously its a minor improvement but this is the complete opposite of going for it. with all the pitchers we were reported in on this was the best deal we could have gotten?
                      Well had surgery in March which means likely back to 100% by May and the pen is already set without him for next year. I would have kept him but its the Fish,they were right on Henderson!!!

Comment

• To be fair on Naylor, he's a "power bat" not hitting for power in Low A. Get that he's young, he's going to develop in someway, but his biggest contribution in Low A has been a knife incident.

Comment

Naylor is a very solid prospect and was taken in the top 12 not even a year ago. Castillo is also said by some scouts to be even a better prospect than him. At the very least they are more valuable as trade pieces than what we got. Cashner is really not very good.
                          Naylor was ranked #30-40 he was taken because we wanted to save cash. He signed for 2.25 and slot was 3 mil

Comment

• So the deal is done. What do we do now? Do we try to find a lefty for the bullpen? Or a bench guy? Or are we done?

Comment

• Also, to be fair, he can get plenty done from Jupiter while the pitcher is in New Orleans. It's 2016. Technology is a hell of a thing.

Comment

• I'm whatever about this trade.

I think we're better this year because 2 starts ago we were all bitching about Urena who's looked awful most of the year in AAA and we all think should be in the bullpen longterm. And Cosart can't seem to get right. And I have to figure Chen might end up missing the rest of the season. So, yeah, I think we're improved this year. We overpaid like crazy. But also, Naylor may have been taken 12 but it was widely known that we reached (he was somewhere ranked around 30-40) and he's shown little power in his minor league time which is his only calling card. Castillo might end up being nice, but TNSTAAPP so who knows. Maybe Cosart will figure it out but we haven't been able to break through with him. And Capps would be nice to keep but maybe he goes all Tim Spooneybarger on us and never comes back, or never comes back right. That motion is so funky who knows.

So yeah, we overpaid, but we also improved, if only a little, and we didn't trade anything we need NOW. We'll worry about how barren the system is when we get there. It's impossible to win over the fans this ballclub has. We had basically one trade chip and it was Naylor. If we did nothing and missed the playoffs everyone would complain. Well, we did something, now let's make the fucking playoffs for the first time in 13 years.
                                Originally posted by Madman81
                                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                                X