This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
    Let's say they trade Ozuna for a pitcher. Ok, that adds an arm to the rotation. Then what to we do in the outfield to replace Ozuna? I mean I doubt we'd suddenly find bags of money to sign one of Upton, Cespedes, Fowler, or out of the box OF options like Desmond or Davis? And if they do, why wouldn't they have just spent that on FA pitching from the beginning? Though I guess I shouldn't bother trying to think logically about their motives and potential moves.
    Dietrich in a platoon is my guess. They can sign two 1B/3B types (to have lots of options in corner infield), and move Prado around everywhere, including LF.

Not saying its a good idea, but thats what I think they'd do.

Not sure why it would be so hard to sign Kennedy, Fister, and a 1B/3B who can hit LHP today though and be a bottom 5 payroll still.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
      Dietrich in a platoon is my guess. They can sign two 1B/3B types (to have lots of options in corner infield), and move Prado around everywhere, including LF.

Not sure why it would be so hard to sign Kennedy, Fister, and a 1B/3B who can hit LHP today though and be a bottom 5 payroll still.
      The only sense I can make of it is that with the price of pitching so high, if you can get a good, controllable starter for Ozuna, you can get by with DD/Right handed bat in LF. Not a bad strategy, provided you get a good platoon partner for LF and hang on to Jose.

Comment

• Offseason 2015-2016

It wouldn't be a Marlins team unless we have a 1B/DH butchering it in LF.

Comment

• Who would they get to platoon though? Too bad they couldn't have gotten Napoli (not necessarily to platoon in LF, but just in general).

I also wonder if we'll actually see platoons used with Mattingly here?

Comment

• you're all fools if you think Ichiro isn't getting 100 starts if Ozuna is traded
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Good point, I forgot about Ichiro.

Comment

• clarkspencer ‏@clarkspencer 8m8 minutes ago
                Source: #Marlins have discussed OF Marcell Ozuna with #Rangers for RHP Chi Chi Gonzalez and perhaps another piece.
                Is this the pitcher we're looking for?

Comment

• I don't hate Chi Chi. Florida native too. First rounder, top 100 prospect, some success last year, still young. I'd say it's pretty much the type of guy they are looking for (and should be, if they're hellbent on trading Ozuna, though I still think they should keep him).

- - - - - - - - - -

jeez, just saw how much his K's decreased as he climbed up the ladder. Rough.
                  Originally posted by Madman81
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• that'd be a pretty dreadful trade, so i'm already looking for his jersey in my size
                    poop

Comment

• Have to imagine Marlins get a good second piece, but Chi-Chi isn't a terrible gamble in himself. Wonder where the whiffs went last year though. But 1-1 is underwhelming.

Comment

• I'd rather have Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post

The "idea" is the one I mentioned when they were talking to Seattle about Ozuna. DD/Ichiro and a RHB FA(Justin Maxwell or someone else who can also play 1B-Mark Canha HAHA) with maybe even Prado getting a few games out there AND Yelich in CF

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
                          Have to imagine Marlins get a good second piece, but Chi-Chi isn't a terrible gamble in himself. Wonder where the whiffs went last year though. But 1-1 is underwhelming.
                          Texas actually has a pretty good system still and Chi Chi isn't a bad gamble like u said. The issue with Ozuna is its not a secret that Jeff hates Ozuna. The thought around MLB is why give up alot of talent for a guy whose personality will clash with Mattingly and who the FO hates. Mike Hill can come out and talk about loving Ozuna and him not being on the block to the public but every team knows if u call and even offer a ML controllable arm that we will listen(SEE Seattle and Elias)

Comment

• Don't see how loria not liking Ozuna hurts his trade value. He's still a power bat under control until 2019 who can play CF. the Marlins don't HAVE to trade him...I think his value is what it is regardless of Loria and teams will give up quality to get him.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                              Don't see how loria not liking Ozuna hurts his trade value. He's still a power bat under control until 2019 who can play CF. the Marlins don't HAVE to trade him...I think his value is what it is regardless of Loria and teams will give up quality to get him.
                              It hurts his value because just say him and Mattingly get into it then what? U gonna send him down to AAA and just gonna give him away? If Jeff had it his way Ozuna would have still been in NOLA in September-this is one reason why DJ and him got into it. DJ wanted to play Ozuna and Jeff wanted to keep him in the minors.

As for his value right now,the Seattle deal they were talking about a few months ago tells u what teams think. Seattle offered Roenis Elias and Trumbo while we countered with Walker.

People dont realize Jeff literally hates the kid and with Ozuna have the reputation as Puig Jr,do u think Mattingly is gonna like him too? Mattingly hated Puig and his antics. Mattingly loved Joc and Scott Van Slyke
                              Last edited by tjfla; 01-06-2016, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• His value may be lower than what we are asking but I don't think that's because he MAY potentially not get along with Mattingly. His value is low because he's coming off a down season. Teams can offer a lesser deal, but the Marlins can also just hold on to him and wait out a better offer. Eventually they'll get an offer they like once teams decide he's a better value than overpaying a FA outfielder.

Comment

Working...
                                X