No announcement yet.

Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys the dood who put up the majority of the money to buy this team has nothing to do with this team. He has no say on how money is spent and on what.

OK

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
      Guys the dood who put up the majority of the money to buy this team has nothing to do with this team. He has no say on how money is spent and on what.

OK
      He doesn't. He put up the money because his pal Jeter asked him to-why do u think there are stories about them still looking for investors? They want people to buy in so they can pay Sherman back some and he can lower his ownership %. If Sherman had it his way he would sell the majority ownership to Mas right now for 400 million

U think Jeter is going to Sherman and asking him if they should trade Stanton,Yelich or anyone? HAHA He could care less-he is in his penthouse/70 million dollar yacht relaxing
      Last edited by tjfla; 01-03-2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• I didn't say he had anything to do with baseball decisions, but I have a very hard time believing he wasn't involved in the conversation on how high/low they wanted the payroll to be for this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
          Straily is still getting bites. Cubs interested in Straily,Ziegler and Bearclaw
          This is the thing they should be doing. Package value and max out with a good prospect. Who knows.

Comment

• Don’t know his current value, but I’d love a way to get schwarber, plant him at 1b, and then move bour

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
              Don’t know his current value, but I’d love a way to get schwarber, plant him at 1b, and then move bour
              This is an interesting one. Schwarber just hit 30 home runs and is still making minimum next season (isn't free agent until 2022). He's still just 24 years old, an age where a lot of guys are still in the minors. That said he's not valuable as an outfielder where he's currently stuck with the Cubs (Rizzo isn't moving).

Straily is just now hitting arbitration and isn't a free agent until 2021. I'd imagine the Cubs would see Straily as an Arietta type, hell he even looks like him. Straily with the right system behind him could be a legitimate #2 starter, potentially growing into a playoff pitcher.

I'm not saying the deal would happen 1 for 1. But Schwarber isn't the same prospect he once was. Funny enough I think the deal would be turned down by the Marlins. And yes it would be built on the question of what Bour's value is on the open market.

Definitely an interesting thought. I think there's risks and rewards for both teams in a Schwarber/Straily deal.

- - - - - - - - - -

The age difference is also interesting. I think Straily works for the Cubs at 29 years old because he should in theory be hitting his prime and the Cubs are in win now mode. The Marlins would take Schwarber on the hope that he grows into a potential and becomes a consistent starting 1st baseman.

It would all depend on if teams view Straily as a #4 like his numbers might suggest from last season, or if you think (which I do) that he has potential to be a #2 starter and be a big contributor for a playoff team.

Comment

• That is quite a projection to imagine Straily shaves a full run plus off his era moving forward.

If you think that, they should run to sign him for 5/$40+ which is about where he'd land.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                  That is quite a projection to imagine Straily shaves a full run plus off his era moving forward.

If you think that, they should run to sign him for 5/$40+ which is about where he'd land.
                  I'd do that deal. But that's again projecting and thinking that we'd be signing him when he's below his future market value. Those kinds of deals are how u build winners tho. It won't hurt u if he turns out bad like a Chen

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
                    I'd do that deal. But that's again projecting and thinking that we'd be signing him when he's below his future market value. Those kinds of deals are how u build winners tho. It won't hurt u if he turns out bad like a Chen

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                    In a world where Tyler Chatwood gets 3/$38, I'm not sure it's below market value even if he remains a 4. It's just putting some faith he gets better or you've just committed to a longterm # 4 SP when you could have just paid him in arbitration or traded him for a younger version of himself.

I don't see him as a 2/3 so I would pass on a buyput, but if they see something, there is certainly a buyout opportunity to be had.

Comment

• Project Wolverine discussion moved to its own thread:

http://soflamarlins.com/showthread.p...625#post387625
                      Last edited by rmc523; 01-03-2018, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• Guys ALOT of teams are in on Straily. I wouldn't call Cubs favorite or anything they have talked with us on about 5 guys

We like Almora,Ian Happ and a few of there minor league arms

The Straily market will pick up once the FA arms sign. At this point they are really working on Yelich.

- - - - - - - - - -

Mark Bowman‏Verified account
                        @mlbbowman

The Braves made some progress toward acquiring Yelich during the Winter Meetings. But the Marlins slowed things down as they were dealing with backlash from the Stanton/Gordon/Ozuna deals. Atlanta has maintained interest and there was always a sense the talks would resume.

Heard same thing. Marlins told Atlanta they were gonna relax for holidays however talks have started again. Waiting to see if SD/White Sox or Toronto jump in

The "made some progress" was more framework which I mentioned a few weeks ago.
                        Last edited by tjfla; 01-04-2018, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• Read a tweet yesterday Braves were interested in both J.T. and Yelich. It is AA and he did complete a massive trade with Hill in the Reyes/JJ/buehrle deal.
                          "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                          - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph View Post
                            Read a tweet yesterday Braves were interested in both J.T. and Yelich. It is AA and he did complete a massive trade with Hill in the Reyes/JJ/buehrle deal.
                            O I did but doubtful we trade JT to Atlanta. Yelich is likely one and with JT to Houston/Texas if traded. They prefer to break them up.

Still hearing Yelich and Prado for Markakis and 4 or 5 others

Ken Rosenthal‏Verified account @Ken_Rosenthal · 32m32 minutes ago

Mentioned #Nationals’ interest in #Marlins’ Realmuto in my latest notes column
                            : https://theathletic.com/202710/2018/...in-more-notes/Team definitely wants to upgrade its catching, but does not want to part with Robles or Soto, sources say. Avila still possible as free agent.

Marlins want Robles in JT deal
                            Last edited by tjfla; 01-04-2018, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• Robles would be incredible. Id do that in a heartbeat. Soto seems a million times more likely though.
                              Last edited by fish16; 01-04-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                                Robles would be incredible. Id do that in a heartbeat. Soto seems a million times more likely now.
                                Well like Rosenthal says Washington doesn't wanna trade either of them which is why I mentioned Texas or Houston but the call between us will go like this

Miami-We want Robles for JT or bye
                                Washington-How about Soto,Michael Taylor,Severino and an arm.
                                Miami-We Will think about it

I think they want to send JT out West but if u can get a Robles u jump on him. Still looks like that are doing Yelich and seeing what they get for him much like Stanton than moving onto JT,Straily,others
                                Last edited by tjfla; 01-04-2018, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X