Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
    I get what you're saying, but I just don't have a lot of faith based off of what we're hearing. I hope I'm wrong, but even with added prospects from a Cueto deal, I don't see a package that returns even close to what they should get for Stanton, something the Cardinals offers.
    It doesn't however Miami doesn't have to send as much cash to SF and they already have approval to trade with SF. St Louis can blow any SF deal out of the water prospects wise

- - - - - - - - - -

Courtesy of Bovada.lv (@BovadaLV on Twitter) come the following odds ...

If Giancarlo Stanton gets traded before the start of the 2018 Regular Season, to which team will it be?

San Francisco Giants, 2/5
    St. Louis Cardinals, 5/2
    Boston Red Sox, 15/2
    Los Angeles Dodgers, 12/1
    New York Yankees, 14/1
    Philadelphia Phillies, 14/1
    Any Other Team, 12/1

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      the stanton deal would be a lot more abotu the money we are losing. Getting even 4 solid prospects for him along with shedding the money will be considered a win. Then we start dealing assets like Straily, Bour, Ozuna, etc to get the real talent replenishment for our system.
      It shouldn't be, though. I get you're trying to dump money, but you should be able to (really, you need to) get real quality prospects for the rebuild. I'd rather see them just get rid of most of these guys and get back quality prospects, than hang on to some of them and take lesser prospects back to dump some of the money.

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      It doesn't however Miami doesn't have to send as much cash to SF and they already have approval to trade with SF. St Louis can blow any SF deal out of the water prospects wise
      I get that, but that shouldn't be the motivation IMO. I'd much rather send back some money and get a higher quality haul, and the Marlins should too. Like I said above, if you are that desperate to dump the money, just get rid of all of your high priced players, and get tons of premium prospects. We know this team is never really going to reappropriate that money into acquiring premium talent.

A half-assed rebuild does not set this team up for long term success. You have the opportunity to really cash in on value right now if that's what you want to do. So if you're going to dump Stanton, blow the whole thing up, and do it right.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
        A half-assed rebuild does not set this team up for long term success. You have the opportunity to really cash in on value right now if that's what you want to do. So if you're going to dump Stanton, blow the whole thing up, and do it right.
        Yep, this is it. Trade everyone who does not have 5 years of control left (i.e, keep only Yelich) for the best possible players. Eat money in 2018 or 2019 if you must. Pray half the kids and your current top 15 prospects work out, and you probably have a pretty good team in 2020 that is club controlled besides Yelich. Then make it rain with free agents to plug holes. Seems like this has been the plan at least 3 or 4 times since 2005. Maybe these owners can do it right.

Comment

• Don’t think we’ll be able to afford Maitan but I really like Abrahan Gutierrez. Would be a nice sign from the braves
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Per MLBTR here's the process for signing the released Braves prospects:

So, what’s the process for signing these players? We learned some elements of the process yesterday, and MLB.com’s Jonathan Mayo provides a more complete look at the ad hoc rules that will apply here. Here’s a breakdown:

-The players — who get to keep their original bonuses but cannot be represented by the agents that negotiated their original contracts — will be subject to international signing pool restrictions but are otherwise free to sign with any organization.

-MLB teams will be allowed a fresh $200K of bonus pool space to work with to sign any of these prospects. They may elect to draw from either their current signing period pool allocation or that of the 2018-19 period (but not both).

-All MLB teams but the Braves can sign the prospects between December 5th of this year and January 15th of the next. Any players that do not sign within that period will no longer be eligible to receive a signing bonus. The Braves are eligible to pursue any still-unsigned prospects (without a bonus offer) beginning on May 1, 2018.
            And here's the referenced Jonathan Mayo article referenced:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/262323...icid=151437456

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
              Per MLBTR here's the process for signing the released Braves prospects:

And here's the referenced Jonathan Mayo article referenced:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/262323...icid=151437456
              Add on from BA

The players, who will keep the original signing bonuses they received from the Braves, will have restrictions on their free agency. They will be eligible to sign with another club for another signing bonus beginning on Dec. 5 up until Jan. 15. After Jan. 15, the player is still allowed to sign but cannot receive an additional signing bonus. Only the amount of the signing bonus beyond $200,000 will count toward a team’s signing bonus pool. Players are allowed to re-sign with the Braves, but if they choose to do so, they must wait until May 1 to sign with them and can’t receive an additional signing bonus.

A club that signs one of the players has the option of counting that player’s bonus against either its current 2017-18 international bonus pool or against its pool for the 2018-19 signing period, which opens next year on July 2. A club can’t combine bonus pool money from both pools to sign an individual player, however

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
              Don’t think we’ll be able to afford Maitan but I really like Abrahan Gutierrez. Would be a nice sign from the braves
              Who knows? We have 5.75 million next year and MLB is letting teams use their 2018-19 IFA Cash on the Atlanta guys(I guess to open it up to more than 5 teams? Miami,Seattle,Pitt,Minn and whoever misses on Otani are only teams with cash still) the only good thing is about 12 teams already have committed most of their cash to guys already and another 5-7 can't go over 300K. So we have 1.49 million in this cycle and 5.75 million for next year(minus what we committed to guys already)

Gutierrez,Soto,Pena,Severino,del Rosario are all solid prospects who we should take a look at.

Maybe Blakeley can convince Puason to sign with us in 2019? They suspended him for 2018 but he should be here in 2019
              Last edited by tjfla; 11-22-2017, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• In daily Stanton news,it looks like St Louis might be getting the writing on the wall. They havent given us a deadline on him BUT they are starting to talk alot more to JD Martinez,Eric Hosmer,Carlos Santana,Toronto about Donaldson,White Sox about Jose Abreu,Marlins about Ozuna and Yelich. Will probably give it another week or 2 but if Stanton doesn't put them on his list soon they are moving on.

Toronto has given up on Stanton(Didnt have much of a chance) and have moved on JD Martinez,Abreu and Ozuna as well

Comment

• IS IT STILL TOO EARLY TO ORDER THE GIANTS STANTON JERSEY?

Comment

• Marlins replacing Rich Waltz, Preston Wilson, and Conine from the broadcast. Conine and Wilson are fine, but i hate the Waltz move. He was great and it will be weird watching marlins games without him.

Comment

Marlins replacing Rich Waltz, Preston Wilson, and Conine from the broadcast. Conine and Wilson are fine, but i hate the Waltz move. He was great and it will be weird watching marlins games without him.
                      I wouldn't say he was great. He was an acquired taste. Hollandsworth is at least staying. He made the broadcast watchable. Lets see who they bring in.

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
                        I wouldn't say he was great. He was an acquired taste. Hollandsworth is at least staying. He made the broadcast watchable. Lets see who they bring in.
                        couldnt really stand hollandsworth. gas bag.

- - - - - - - - - -

how do they clean house but leave Jessica Blaylock still?

Comment

• Honestly can’t believe they let Rich go. Conine was awful and Preston was pretty bad too. But I’m sure former Yankee and cardboard cutout imitator Jeff nelson will still have a job!

I thought Rich and Todd had really great interplay and worked really well together. Don’t get it one bit.
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Very sorry to hear that Hollandsworth is not leaving with Waltz.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                              Very sorry to hear that Hollandsworth is not leaving with Waltz.
                              agreed. And how, of all people, does Blaylock keep her damn job? She is horrific.

Comment

couldnt really stand hollandsworth. gas bag.

- - - - - - - - - -

how do they clean house but leave Jessica Blaylock still?
                                Wouldnt mind seeing Kelly Saco in heels every game but Fox loves Blaylock cause she does alot of behind the scene stuff for them. Its like 2 jobs for 1 person

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                                IS IT STILL TOO EARLY TO ORDER THE GIANTS STANTON JERSEY?
                                https://www.baseballamerica.com/mino...o8AGOo5PaDf.97

Comment

Working...
                                X