This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
    Marlins top acquisition this off-season will be Barry Bonds!
    fwiw, I'm perfectly fine with waiting to make moves. I'm not sure how you can prove it, but I feel like the worst contracts are those signed early in free agency. Teams get desperate and buy into the arm's race, and end up paying a premium. The guys who fall through tend to have fewer bidders, making them potentially better values.

Now, of course, I don't think they're intentionally waiting because they are smart enough to realize this. I think they just aren't willing to spend the money they would need to to be involved right now.
    poop

Comment

• The Marlins still have the rest of the winter to fulfill their stated goal of upgrading their pitching staff, either in the rotation or bullpen. As the Marlins and every other team have discovered, the cost of pitching is high, both in the trade and free agent markets.

That high cost could be prohibitive for the Marlins, who don’t plan on spending a lot of money this offseason.

“The trades are probably as expensive as the dollars in terms of players,” Hill said. “When trades happen and you see the cost to acquire a particular pitcher you take notice of what it will take. You have to be prepared to pony up either in terms of players or dollars.”

The Marlins could be forced to lower their sights on a starter. If so, they could look to focus instead on the bullpen.

“There are still a number of free-agent pitching options out there that we’re looking at to potentially upgrade our rotation,” Hill said. “But we’re also looking at some bullpen options to see if that would be a different direction to potentially go if you can’t get the starting options you want.”
      http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ml...e48914070.html

Jonathon Broxton here we come!
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Our day to shine!!! Rule 5 Starts at 10 and lots of options for us. Then the Minor League Part which we always pick 4/5 guys

Comment

• Also one reason we held onto Ozuna is they wanna see if they trade Jose first.

There was some talk that Arizona(Jeff Passan had an article up too) could still make a run at Jose. Most of the things they wanted are still in the system and could still make an offer of -Corbin,Shipley,Archie Bradley,Drury, the ML IF(Hearing it was Jake Lamb) plus say Socrates Brito(CF) and another prosepct

If that happens u don't really need a young SP for Ozuna since u are getting 2 ML Arms plus a guy who would be ready next year.

- - - - - - - - - -

Jeff Passan Verified account
          ‏@JeffPassan

For those curious if D-backs have pieces to get Jose Fernandez: Absolutely if deal starts with Corbin. Shipley, Drury, Bradley, Godley, etc.
          Last edited by tjfla; 12-10-2015, 08:33 AM.

Comment

• Marlins Take

PASS!!!!

Damn didnt realize we were so stacked

Comment

• Minor League Part(Means guys are here or gone for good)

Got- RHP Patrick Johnson (Pitt)/C Maxx Tissenbaum (TB)/RHP Juan Caballero (StL)

Gone- RHP Enderson Franco to ATL(IFA Cash Spent well)/3B Zach Cox to Wash/RHP Felipe Gonzalez to LAD/LHP Chipper Smith to Balt/1B Viosergy Rosa to Oak/RHP DJ Johnson to LAA/LHP Alex Burgos to LAD

- - - - - - - - - -

Gotta love when the thinnest system in the majors gets picked over some more. Lots of joking in the room asking if the Marlins were so busy talking trades they forgot they could protect guys

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                Also one reason we held onto Ozuna is they wanna see if they trade Jose first.

There was some talk that Arizona(Jeff Passan had an article up too) could still make a run at Jose. Most of the things they wanted are still in the system and could still make an offer of -Corbin,Shipley,Archie Bradley,Drury, the ML IF(Hearing it was Jake Lamb) plus say Socrates Brito(CF) and another prosepct

If that happens u don't really need a young SP for Ozuna since u are getting 2 ML Arms plus a guy who would be ready next year.

- - - - - - - - - -

Jeff Passan Verified account
                ‏@JeffPassan

For those curious if D-backs have pieces to get Jose Fernandez: Absolutely if deal starts with Corbin. Shipley, Drury, Bradley, Godley, etc.
                you should probably put this in the proper context. passan's article was editorial rather than factual. he says they should pursue it - not that they are pursuing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
                  you should probably put this in the proper context. passan's article was editorial rather than factual. he says they should pursue it - not that they are pursuing it.
                  However it is factual which is why I put the tweet up as well. Yes the article was an editorial however Corbin/Bradley/Shipley/Drury/and more could still get Jose

Comment

• wouldn't have protected any of those guys, maybe Vio Rosa, but whatever, no big loss
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                      wouldn't have protected any of those guys, maybe Vio Rosa, but whatever, no big loss
                      Ya we didnt lose anything that was worthwhile. As for protection,they said it because u can protect up to like 30 guys per level(AAA and AA) however most teams have at most 20 or so and our AAA/AA teams were so bare they had like 15 on each to start with. Usually lose 2 or 3 guys but not 7

Maybe we will promote a few guys more aggressively now. Probably not tho-look foward to those 29 yr olds in AA like usually

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                        Broxton just got a $7.5 million contract.

Apparently, the Marlins can only afford Tier 5 free agents.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                          Broxton just got a $7.5 million contract.

Apparently, the Marlins can only afford Tier 5 free agents.
                          It's all being spent on the front office/coaching staff/million people that still have contracts that aren't here anymore..........not that they'd spend that money on the team anyway.

Comment

• Unlike when we lost Mark Canha it really isn't a loss to not have Zack Cox and Vio Rosa.

Comment

• They haven't spent or done shit to upgrade. At what point does the MLB step and say you need to start spending or your out? I know they tried and the Marlins spent some money a few years ago. But this is crazy. Does Loria have naked pics of everyone? Year after year its the same shit. If he can't afford it he needs to go and play with his art.

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
                                They haven't spent or done shit to upgrade. At what point does the MLB step and say you need to start spending or your out? I know they tried and the Marlins spent some money a few years ago. But this is crazy. Does Loria have naked pics of everyone? Year after year its the same shit. If he can't afford it he needs to go and play with his art.
                                it's only the winter meetings

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                                However it is factual which is why I put the tweet up as well. Yes the article was an editorial however Corbin/Bradley/Shipley/Drury/and more could still get Jose
                                nah man, that's not how you worded it. you did the equivalent of this:

i write an editorial on my website arguing that tjfla should be strangled with a garden hose. you then post, "hearing i might be strangled with a garden hose (madman81 posted about this as well)." this is a false implication. you're implying that i'm reporting something when i'm really just arguing why it should be that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X