No announcement yet.

Marlins Close To Signing Edinson Volquez to Two Year Deal worth 22 mil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With him moving back to NL and getting a good defense behind him I'm starting to be a bigger and bigger fan of this move.

We all know he's starting opening day, right?
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
      I'm not sure how he was worth a win and a half last season. Even if you take out that horrendous start one or two bad ones he was still something of a 4.50 ERA pitcher at best. At best he was just under Tom Koehler level of being a replacement caliber player.
      But it doesn't matter how you can't see how he was a 1.5 WAR pitcher. He's a 1.5 WAR pitcher (and I think a 2.6 WAR in 2015). He was just as good as Jason Hammel last year.

Comment

Got something they needed and wanted-best part of the deal is they got him for 2 years.

They were looking at him,Hammel,Wood,CJ Wilson,Masterson. FO really wanted Travis Wood but price might be too high so they got Volquez who can eat innings and like said he looked great with Benedict in Pitt

Still want another pitcher-doubtful its another high priced guy BUT could see CJ Wilson or Masterson on incentive deal AND Ozuna still dealt for an arm(Depending on who is out there)

Comment

Originally posted by Swifty View Post
          I don't think it's a bad move for either the player or the team. I'm honestly more interested to see how the money is distributed. If it's heavily backloaded I think that's another indicator this might be the last year of Loria.
          I was thinking the same thing. I fully expect Volquez to be paid $2 million in 2017 and $20 million in 2018.

Comment

I like this deal a lot the more i think about it. Trade Ozuna for a SP, sign a competent OF, and weve done just about all we can given our resources and Jose's death.

Comment

Why do so many people want to trade Ozuna? Seems like a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                It's not so much that we want to trade him (at least for me), it's just that that's the easiest/most realistic path to acquiring a top of the rotation starter that we need especially with Jose gone. Considering the lack of decent starters available on the free agent market, as well as the fact that there are a few outfield options on the market that could replace him, an Ozuna trade becomes the best option to get what we need. Who else would we trade? Dietrich? Ok, but I think Ozuna gets a better pitcher in return. You're not trading Yelich with him under an affordable contract (though I suppose that makes him more appealing, but I'd keep Yelich over Ozuna).

In a perfect world, you'd keep him and just add pitching (should've signed another guy last year as we all said then), but I don't know if that's realistic. And this move became more necessary with Jose gone...if Jose was still here, you could maybe get away with trading Dietrich for a lesser pitcher and be ok, but that's not the case.

Comment

I do because of our lack of pitching, and I think his value around the league is higher than what he actually is as a player. He is a solid OF, but a good SP is harder to come by than a good SP, especially given this years FA class. If we could trade him for a SP and then sign a quality OF, we are better off as a team. The only issue is if we are to trade Ozuna, i can almost guarantee you the front office will try to sign a reclamation project or cheap alternative to Ozuna rather than going out and spending what is necessary on a quality OF.

Comment

What RMC said. I would prefer to keep Ozuna and sign another arm BUT #1 not much out there and #2 Price.

U can trade Ozuna and get a solid controllable arm in return then either sign a FA OF like Fowler OR try a platoon of DD and someone

If Jose was still around u could Keep Ozuna and trade Jose to Boston,NYY or even Arizona and really improve this team however that is out so Ozuna traded is what u are left with. U cant trade Yelich or JT

Comment

After this, id like to see us trade Ozuna for a guy like Bauer, then sign an OF like Gomez, and sign a platoon for Bour (power bat like Carter, granted he is terrible defensively).

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                        After this, id like to see us trade Ozuna for a guy like Bauer, then sign an OF like Gomez, and sign a platoon for Bour (power bat like Carter, granted he is terrible defensively).
                        Problem with guys like Carter/Plouffe is they were suppose to make 8 million. Maybe they would take 5 but would we offer that for a platoon???

Ozuna's market has grown and it will get bigger once the FA start to sign. Cleveland,Texas,Arizona,Oakland,NYY,whoever else misses out on a FA bat. Unlike last offseason,u can tell teams u are holding onto Ozuna and drive the price up

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                          Problem with guys like Carter/Plouffe is they were suppose to make 8 million. Maybe they would take 5 but would we offer that for a platoon???

Ozuna's market has grown and it will get bigger once the FA start to sign. Cleveland,Texas,Arizona,Oakland,NYY,whoever else misses out on a FA bat
                          Very true, and I'm not even necessarily a fan of Carter, he was just a name i saw available yesterday that would make sense. I'd just like a power RH 1b bat to complement Bour not only because Bour might not stay healthy, but i like having a power bat off the bench. I'm tired of our retread non threat bench.

I think we should go very high ceiling with a SP for Ozuna. If Bauer is available, we need to pull the trigger. With Jose gone, our farm system terrible, and the lack of SP options especially at our price range, a high ceiling SP makes a lot of sense.

Comment

9 mil this year and 13 next

Frisaro says we are looking at SP Fister and RP Daniel Hudson. Wanna hold onto Ozuna

I dont mind it BUT it means spending cash on them instead of getting cheaper options
                            Last edited by tjfla; 11-29-2016, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Cespedes back to the Mets. Ozuna's market might have just widened.

Comment

Absolutely no thanks on Hudson. Been five years since he's been a successful starter and he was really poor as a reliever last year. I still see Fister as a really good fit and an underrated commodity on the market. He's been at the top of the list for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X