Marlins Might Be Interested in Reynolds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Might Be Interested in Reynolds

The Marlins are clearly looking for offensive help.

The organization is rich in pitching, which gives encouragement for a brighter future. But they’ve really struggled at the plate, sitting last in the Majors in runs scored, home runs and batting average.

Mark Reynolds, placed on release waivers by the Indians, is a player the Marlins are having internal discussions about.

At the Winter Meetings last December, Reynolds was a free agent the Marlins discussed before he opted for Cleveland. But the general feeling is Reynolds may be best suited for the American League.

In a rebuilding season, the Marlins are looking for their young players to develop. They’ve had stretches of promise, but more times than not, they’ve endured their share of disappointments. Currently, they’ve lost eight of nine heading into tonight’s game at Kansas City.

In the offseason, the Marlins are not expected to be active on the free agent market, at least for high-priced, established players. So pursuing an international talent like Abreu makes sense.

Another alternative to bringing in offensive help could be trading a pitching prospect or two for a power hitter.

Miami is building around a solid, young pitching staff. Four untouchables in that rotation are Fernandez, Nathan Eovaldi, Henderson Alvarez and Jacob Turner. Aside from lefty, Andrew Heaney, now at Double-A Jacksonville, the club may consider dealing any other of their good, young arms for offensive help.

A hitting catcher appears high on Miami’s wish list.

Atlanta’s Evan Gattis would fit the mold, but don’t expect that to happen. Chances are the Braves will not move Gattis because Brian McCann is heading towards a big contract in free agency, leaving Gattis as their likely starter in 2014.
    http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/2013/0...ket-for-abreu/

I really don't see the point. But I guess he could be cool at third base next year until Moran is ready?
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

That pitching they're so rich in is going to look worse with Mark Reynolds playing 3B.

Comment

Does he even field with a glove?

Comment

For what it's worth, I hope he signs.

Comment

I'd rather have Peralta for the PED discount this winter.

/biased

of course last time he moved to 3B, he pouted and had the worst season of his career, but...uh...

Comment

I don't think you want Reynolds when the idea is to develop pitching.

I want to see Coghlan start 25 games at 3B in September. See what happens

Comment

Working...
            X