No announcement yet.

Trade Deadline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would love Price and Zobrist, but I doubt they go anywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
      So what if he leaves after this year? Are any of the guys we trade for him going to get us any closer to the playoffs on their own than Lester would get us while we are this close this year? We don't have any franchise changing talent.
      Losing (at least) one of Yelich, Heaney, Moran, or Ozuna in a deal for Lester would be a severe blow to this team to making 1 post season run this year. Your heart is in the right place, but you are respectfully very wrong about this. Like bobbob said here, would trading Stanton for Manny been a good idea to make the playoffs that year? I mean those 4 aren't Stanton quality, but they are just below him as potential very above average players.

Now if you want to upgrade with dishing out a package of some of Cishek, McGehee, Jones, Baker, Dunn, Marisnick, Nicolino, Dietrich, 2015 Comp Pick, and a few of Turner/Conley/Urena/DeScalfani/Flynn/Hand/other MILB arms, and maybe even Koehler or Realmuto, sure. Those guys they can live without.

But Lester is a big guy to get without control next year and no draft picks. It would be a small step forward now and 4-5 (i.e. years of control) very big steps back to lose Yelich, Heaney, Moran, or Ozuna.

Now if you want Price/Zobrist, and they can do it for Heaney, Cishek, Marisnick, 2015 Comp Pick, and 3 more guys in the farm not named Moran, that gets interesting.

Comment

• Orioles and Blue Jays out of the running for Lester per mlb.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
          Orioles and Blue Jays out of the running for Lester per mlb.com
          That's great to hear. The less demand, the less leverage. I haven't really heard our name in any other reports since that one yesterday though, so I'm assuming we may be out too. I would probably give the Rays whatever they want for Price and Zobrist though

Comment

• I doubt the Rays sell. I also (as I have been saying) doubt we make a big splash. I think they'll trade for a guy like Dallas Keuchel or Collin McHugh or LaTroy Hawkins or Brad Ziegler and claim it's a huge deal when in reality it isn't.
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
              I doubt the Rays sell. I also (as I have been saying) doubt we make a big splash. I think they'll trade for a guy like Dallas Keuchel or Collin McHugh or LaTroy Hawkins or Brad Ziegler and claim it's a huge deal when in reality it isn't.
              You might be underestimating Keuchel.

I'd be content with John Lackey to be quite honest. He improves our rotation, is cheap next year, and won't cost us a ton of talent.

I think I may be okay with our current situation at 2B. If they want to get Nick Franklin, I'd be okay with that as well

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                You might be underestimating Keuchel.
                This. He's not a free agent until 2019, and has above average FIPs in each of the last two seasons, so it's not a one-year fluke thing right now.

I'd be all about some Dallas Keuchel as the Marlins No. 3 starter.
                --------------------
                Jose-Alvarez-Keuchel-Heaney-Eovaldo for the next 5 years sounds p. cool 2 m
                Last edited by Bobbob1313; 07-30-2014, 09:02 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                poop

Comment

• Shouldn't Kolek be up within the next 5 years too?

Comment

• TNSTAAPP
                    poop

Comment

• What would you all give for Keuchel?
                      --------------------
                      @pgammo: Save ujs from teams that announce "we're in" on top pitchers, but want to trade AA miscasts with 5.00 ERAs
                      Twitter

Has to be the fish.
                      --------------------
                      @pgammo: Three am texts:if Boston can get Steven Piscotty and Rob Kaminsky for Lester it's a very good deal. Seems steep
                      Twitter

Frisaro mentions that if LAD gets Lester, Fish can try and get Beckett from LAD. I would actually like that.
                      Last edited by Big Z; 07-30-2014, 09:42 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                        What would you all give for Keuchel?
                        Pretty much any two things that aren't Heaney and Moran.
                        poop

Comment

• so Stanton and Yelich?

Comment

• h8u
                            poop

Comment

• @Manny_Navarro: Mike Hill on if the #Marlins would take on payroll at deadline: "I would say we're looking at everything. Money deals. Prospects deals."
                              Twitter

From the sound of things, both Hamels and Price are staying put.
                              --------------------
                              MIAMI — The last call was made around 1 a.m. ET on Wednesday morning, shortly before Marlins president of baseball operations Michael Hill left the ballpark. The first message Hill received after he woke up was about 8:37 a.m.

Numerous calls are coming in, and the Marlins are weighing all options as Thursday’s non-waiver Trade Deadline approaches.

The Marlins are working hard to make a trade or two before the 4 p.m. ET deadline. A controllable starting pitcher remains a priority, but a rental remains possible, but not at the cost of mortgaging the future.

“Not ideal for what we’re trying to do,” Hill said of a rental. “It’s something that we’ve entertained and have dipped our toe in the water. It all depends on the cost to acquire a rental and if it sidetracks what we’re trying to do in the long term.”

That may rule out Red Sox lefty Jon Lester, who would with the club for the rest of the season.

Miami made it back to .500 (53-53) by beating the Nationals on Tuesday night. Hill was working the phones all the way until he left Marlins Park, which was about 1 a.m.

“These guys in this room know we believe in them, and believe in the talent in this room,” Hill said Wednesday morning. “Whether we’re able to make a deal or not, I think they know we have their back. We’re supportive of what they’re trying to do. We’re going to do what’s best to try to upgrade. But we’re not going to be foolish. We’re not going to be short-sighted. I think we understand where we’re at as an organization, but we also understand where we’re trying to go.

“I think that’s the balance that you strike at this time of year. We’ll see what happens these next two days. But there’s been a lot going on. You try to work through it, and see if what you’re trying to do makes sense, not just in the near term, but in the long term.”

Starting pitching is the priority. Second base also could be addressed, but it is not as big an objective as a controllable starter.

Miami also is not planning on taking any core player off its big league roster.

If need be, the club will take on salary.

“I would say we’re looking at everything,” Hill said. “Money deals. Prospects deals. We’re looking at everything.”
                              Joe Frisaro
                              Last edited by Big Z; 07-30-2014, 10:54 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun Sentinel reports that the Marlins are "not completely" out of the Jon Lester sweepstakes.
                                Rodriguez says the Marlins will not trade Andrew Heaney for Lester, but it sounds like they might be willing to consider just about anyone else in their system. For what it's worth, president of baseball operations Michael Hill said the club is "not going to be short-sighted" in any deals.
                                Related: Marlins
                                http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...,7404378.story
                                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                                X