No announcement yet.

Austin Barnes, C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Austin Barnes has no problems settling in behind the plate.

Although he has played mostly second base this season for the Hoppers, he was drafted as a catcher. Friday night he got his 12th opportunity to catch a game and helped the Hoppers to a 7-4 win over Delmarva.

“It’s a different game and a different pace,” Barnes said, “but I feel comfortable there. I like it a lot. It’s definitely a different mentality, but I’ve done it the last three years (at Arizona State).”

Sometimes players have trouble separating their defense from their offense, letting one affect the other if things are going badly. But it’s no problem for Barnes, even when he shifts to catching. He had a double and a two-run homer Friday and scored three times.

“I’m not catching every game so I don’t get tired at the plate,” he said. “I feel good right now. I have a plan and I’m executing it.”

Barnes said he got an inside fastball that he pulled for a home run, his ninth of the season, in the fourth inning against Delmarva starter Matt Taylor. His best-hit ball of the night came in his last at-bat when he drove one deep to center field that was caught.

“I don’t have enough power to hit it out to straightaway center,” he said.

Hitting coach Frank Moore said Barnes, now hitting .315 on the season, is being aggressive with balls in the strike zone.

“He’s swinging at good pitches and finding the holes,” Moore said. “He’s driving balls he can hit.”

Manager David Berg said Barnes is always ready for his at-bats and has a good, consistent approach. And he likes him behind the plate, too.

“He’s a good receiver,” Berg said. “He doesn’t move around and he’s small, so it gives a good look to the umpire.”

Other Hoppers swung the bats well. Josh Adams had a two-run double, Austin Nola had RBIs on a single and a double and James Wooster had two hits, including a triple. The beneficiary of the hitting was starter Josh Hodges, who allowed two runs in six innings and squared his record at 7-7.

Hodges had runners on all night, allowing eight hits that included a home run, a triple and two doubles. He also walked two. But he kept pitching out of trouble, especially in the third when he gave up a leadoff triple and retired the next three hitters to strand the runner. He also got out of a bases-loaded mess in the fifth.
    The win was the third straight for Greensboro, now 19-23 in the second half.

“It’s a matter of time before we start clicking again,” Barnes said. “We’re playing pretty good baseball and we need to carry it on.”
    http://www.greensborosports.com/2012...-hitting-plan/

Article is a week old FYI so Friday refers to last Friday
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Austin Barnes went 0-for-3 Friday night at Augusta, snapping an 11-game hitting streak.

Barnes, the Hoppers’ starting second baseman and backup catcher, has batted .356 with nine home runs since the all-star break. His .321 batting average ranks third in the Sally League.
      http://www.news-record.com/blog/56101/entry/151211
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I'm interested to see how he progresses in Jupiter this year.
        Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
        Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
        Noah Perio
        Jupiter
        39 AB
        15 H
        0 2B
        0 3B
        0 HR
        0 BB
        .385/.385/.385

Comment

He homered today in his first Spring Training AB, off Cardinal farm-hand Kevin Siegrist.

Comment

Looks like he is back at catcher this year in Jupiter

Comment

Barnes was the starting catcher last night for the Jacksonville Suns. Guess he was promoted recently.

Comment

Starting playing second base again for Jacksonville.
                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Barnes plate discipline has been amazingly consistent his minor league career. Even with little power I'm interested to see him progress and his eventual major league call up sometime in mid to late 2014.

Comment

Working...
                  X