Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    To add onto the last part-Hellickson was STILL coming here for Castillo and a low level prospect however we balked at the end because they wanted to trade Castillo for a "controllable" arm NOT a rental which he would have been. In the end they got a controllable arm in Straily for him
    Are you referring to after they got the deal partially undone with getting Castillo back?

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
      To make sure I'm understanding your post correctly...

We could have done Naylor for Hellciskon, strait up, and kept Cosart and Capps.
      Or we could do Naylor, Cosart, and Capps for Cashner and Guerrero

And we choose the later, where we give up more for a worse pitcher, because it would have been 'complicated' to do the better deal.

I'm not surprised, I'm just further disappointed
      Yep to much work for the FO plus they really weren't happy with Naylor(knife thing/weight/no power),Capps(told likely to have arm issues again) and Cosart(Well no explaination needed). None of the 3 were considered a "loss" by the FO

The goal was get a veteran arm for the playoff push(Cashner) and while he sucked if u talk to the FO they dont think they lost much

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
      Are you referring to after they got the deal partially undone with getting Castillo back?
      Yes they got Castillo back and Philly called us and said Castillo and a prospect for Hellickson-we waited to the end to say NO. Was mentioned on twitter by a few guys that Hellickson was getting dealt(like hour before deadline) but in the end they balked cause they wanted a controllable arm. Hellickson would have been a rental-no chance we would have gave him a QO

U see in the Rosenthal thing it says they planned to trade him for a controllable arm

Comment

Yep to much work for the FO plus they really weren't happy with Naylor(knife thing/weight/no power),Capps(told likely to have arm issues again) and Cosart(Well no explaination needed). None of the 3 were considered a "loss" by the FO

The goal was get a veteran arm for the playoff push(Cashner) and while he sucked if u talk to the FO they dont think they lost much
        Even if they had concerns about the players, I think it's stupid to just throw them away just because.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
        Yes they got Castillo back and Philly called us and said Castillo and a prospect for Hellickson-we waited to the end to say NO. Was mentioned on twitter by a few guys that Hellickson was getting dealt(like hour before deadline) but in the end they balked cause they wanted a controllable arm. Hellickson would have been a rental-no chance we would have gave him a QO
        I don't mind that they didn't do that move, as I agree a controllable arm would be better as a return. As I said, they should've just undone the deal and done Naylor for Hellickson, and saved Castillo for another controllable arm as they wanted. We wouldn't have been able to give Hellickson a QO anyway, as you can't once the player is traded.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
          Even if they had concerns about the players, I think it's stupid to just throw them away just because.
          Well didnt throw them away-they got a veteran pitcher for the playoff run. Crappy arm but better than Cosart. Guerrero actually could be solid-won't be like Capps but hard thrower who is like 6'7 and has options.

Comment

• I know that 95% of them suck but how is it guys from Florida always seem to go to TB instead of Miami on minor league deals?? Florida guys don't wanna play for us unless we overpay,Cubans don't wanna play for us unless we overpay,Big time FA don't wanna play for us when we overpay however Independent Guys and 28 yr olds in A Ball are camped out outside the stadium in Jupiter for their physicals already!

Rickie Weeks is crap now but wouldn't be a bad option in AAA for a team like us

Comment

I know that 95% of them suck but how is it guys from Florida always seem to go to TB instead of Miami on minor league deals?? Florida guys don't wanna play for us unless we overpay,Cubans don't wanna play for us unless we overpay,Big time FA don't wanna play for us when we overpay however Independent Guys and 28 yr olds in A Ball are camped out outside the stadium in Jupiter for their physicals already!

Rickie Weeks is crap now but wouldn't be a bad option in AAA for a team like us
              I assume it's because Weeks sees an easier path to the Majors with TB. He's basically an OF/DH at this point and we don't have room at those spots here or in New Orleans. We already have/signed Yefri Perez, Hood, Den Dekker, Brandon Barnes, and Tyler Moore who will likely be in AAA. Also he's from that area....and like you said, not very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                I assume it's because Weeks sees an easier path to the Majors with TB. He's basically an OF/DH at this point and we don't have room at those spots here or in New Orleans. We already have/signed Yefri Perez, Hood, Den Dekker, Brandon Barnes, and Tyler Moore who will likely be in AAA. Also he's from that area....and like you said, not very good.
                Ya more than likely. Wasnt really about Weeks as it was y it is so hard for us to get them. Our AA is full of 28yr olds who couldn't get out of A Ball with other system and AAA team usually is nothing special. Just rather us look at a guy who has something we could use(power) maybe instead of having 4 of the same guy(defense only)

Comment

• Hammel signed with the Royals for 2 years, 16 million, with a mutual option for the 3rd year. Absurd that we werent willing to go that high. And its not absurd if we would stick to either developing players or signing free agents, but we want to do neither, and instead give up assets for average at best guys we could have had for free last year. Unfuckingbelievable.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                    Hammel signed with the Royals for 2 years, 16 million, with a mutual option for the 3rd year. Absurd that we werent willing to go that high. And its not absurd if we would stick to either developing players or signing free agents, but we want to do neither, and instead give up assets for average at best guys we could have had for free last year. Unfuckingbelievable.
                    8 million for a #5 on our team. For the 10000 time-we are not the NYY/LA/Wash our #5 will always be a controllable OR cheap arm. Jeff's budget cant do it-Koehler at 6.5 million is too much really-the only reason he is around is because he eats innings when he is on and already on the roster. If Koehler was a FA we wouldn't offer him that

Comment

8 million for a #5 on our team. For the 10000 time-we are not the NYY/LA/Wash our #5 will always be a controllable OR cheap arm. Jeff's budget cant do it-Koehler at 6.5 million is too much really-the only reason he is around is because he eats innings when he is on and already on the roster. If Koehler was a FA we wouldn't offer him that
                      He is not a number 5 on our team. Not to mention we spent 11 million for 2 years on Volquez who has not been good for the majority of his career. And so rather than spending money like an actual major league team we give up assets for worse players. Awesome, sound strategy!

- - - - - - - - - -

The whole rationale is so circular. We dont spend money, and dont invest in the draft, so we give up assets to acquire average players, which leads to no depth, which leads to bad teams, which leads to a lack of revenue, which leads to not making money, which means we dont spend money, etc. and it keeps going around and around and that is why we consistently have no farm system and have to give up talent for players (on top of the players we do decide to acquire being horrifically scouted)

Comment

• Napoli is nearing a one year deal with the Rangers.

It's $8.5M with an option.
                        Last edited by rmc523; 02-08-2017, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• The Yankees signed Chris Carter for $3M. We couldn't have ponied up that much?

From MLBTR:
                          The Yankees and free agent first baseman Chris Carter have agreed to a one-year, $3MM contract, pending a physical, reports USA Today’s Bob Nightengale. The deal comes with a $500K signing bonus and $100K in incentives for 250, 300, 350, 400 and 450 plate appearances

Comment

• The Jason Hammel thing doesn't upset me, but Chris Carter going to the Yankees at 1/3M is pretty frustrating. At that price, we should've been all over that.

Comment

• Or just not sign Jeff Locke since it looks like he'll be at best Mop-up/6th starter.

Comment

• Carter is insane given how good of a fit he was but all the reports are that because we're going with something like a 20-man bullpen we just didn't have the roster spot
                                Originally posted by Madman81
                                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                                X