No announcement yet.

Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lmao, unreal that the Cardinals and Giants have sent out press releases saying that Stanton doesn't want to be on our team. When have you ever seen that? Teams pissed that a player has so much power for once.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
      Yeah I have no problem with what Stanton is doing at all. These fucking swindlers have jerked around every single player that signed a big contract with them since they took over, so getting the no-trade clause was a smart move. It's just a shame that this is happening under the new management and not under Loria, which of course Loria planned for the day he allowed the NTC to be included.

- - - - - - - - - -

But I do kinda blame Jeter and company for clearly not realizing what they were getting into. You buy a team and then immediately cry poor, which I initially laughed off, because I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, and a complete rebuild would probably be necessary even if money weren't a factor at all. They clearly haven't planned properly for this Stanton situation though, seems like a vital detail to have missed during the team buying process.
      I don’t think the new owners are crying poor. There is a difference between not having money and not want to throw good money after bad. The financial state of the team they inherited is a mess and they can’t just spend their way out of it. If there was evidence that if they spent to keep the team together would lead to increased revenue, that’s be one thing. But bringing this team back won’t win ballgames or guarantee an attendance increase. The only logical move is to cut payroll and rebuild. It sucks but I can’t think of a better move for them...and that would have been true of anyone that bought the team. Loria left a mess he knew he wouldn’t have to clean up.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
        I don’t think the new owners are crying poor. There is a difference between not having money and not want to throw good money after bad. The financial state of the team they inherited is a mess and they can’t just spend their way out of it. If there was evidence that if they spent to keep the team together would lead to increased revenue, that’s be one thing. But bringing this team back won’t win ballgames or guarantee an attendance increase. The only logical move is to cut payroll and rebuild. It sucks but I can’t think of a better move for them...and that would have been true of anyone that bought the team. Loria left a mess he knew he wouldn’t have to clean up.
        The new owners are crying poor. If they weren't, they wouldn't have issues throwing money into a deal with one of the agreed upon teams for Stanton to get good prospects out of it. Simple as that.

Comment

100% agree. I think so much of the vitriol the new ownership got is so unfair. this is a terrible situation that is in need of not only a rebuild on the field but a rebuild with the community off the field.

- - - - - - - - - -

man just looking at the contracts we have for next year and so much empty money. Volquez, Chen, Ziegler, Tazawa. Unreal mismanagement by the previous regime.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
            The new owners are crying poor. If they weren't, they wouldn't have issues throwing money into a deal with one of the agreed upon teams for Stanton to get good prospects out of it. Simple as that.
            I believe they were throwing in at least $40 million into either deal that was agreed to...at least that’s what was reported.

Comment

• If we just wait a year, we can get volquez, ziegler, and tazawa off the books which is somehow nearly 29 million.

Comment

I believe they were throwing in at least $40 million into either deal that was agreed to...at least that’s what was reported.
                The Cardinals were reportedly willing to accept close to 300 million dollars remaining on his deal and San Francisco was way up there too. Don't think it's a coincidence those were the only two agreed deals.

Comment

• wasnt there some talk that the Astros inquired a few days ago about Stanton?

Comment

I never bought it when Loria and Samson would complain about how the team is hemorrhaging money year after year, and I don't buy Jeter saying it now. Yes, I think we can all agree that money has been spent poorly on the roster over the years, there have been some very bad contracts given out especially recently. The Stanton contract is not one of those contracts, yes, it was structured poorly so Loria barely had to pay anything, but from Day 1 Jeter has made it clear that getting rid of the Stanton contract was the first step to getting this franchise back on track, and I just don't buy that.

Comment

• I don’t see how Mish can say it’s 0% he stays. At this point I think it’s the most likely scenario. The well is poisoned a little bit now, since he said that he doesn’t want to play for a rebuilding team and he is basically jerking them around and delaying their rebuilding process. But as I’ve said the Marlins could just as easily hold onto him and he will be so miserable next year he will accept the trade anywhere. It’s not like he can hold out and not show up to play, and it’s also not like he can purposely play badly because not only is that not who he is but that would hurt his chances of the Dodgers wanting him anyway. I honestly think it’s most likely at this point that they keep him and in May or June when a big injury happwns he gets traded then
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• I just don't understand how you go into an off-season where you've made it very clear getting rid of Stanton's contract is the unavoidable first step in the right direction, a contract that you can't deal without his approval, and G goes on Jimmy Kimmel in Late October and says no one from the new organization has spoken to him yet. They apparently had to present an off-season plan to the other owners when they bought the team. Nobody thought getting rid of Stanton's contract may run into some snags? Why wasn't getting on the same page with Stanton priority #1?

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                          I don’t see how Mish can say it’s 0% he stays. At this point I think it’s the most likely scenario. The well is poisoned a little bit now, since he said that he doesn’t want to play for a rebuilding team and he is basically jerking them around and delaying their rebuilding process. But as I’ve said the Marlins could just as easily hold onto him and he will be so miserable next year he will accept the trade anywhere. It’s not like he can hold out and not show up to play, and it’s also not like he can purposely play badly because not only is that not who he is but that would hurt his chances of the Dodgers wanting him anyway. I honestly think it’s most likely at this point that they keep him and in May or June when a big injury happwns he gets traded then
                          I think he’s right, honestly. I think this team is desperate to move his deal, and that’s going to lead to us giving him away to LA.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                            I think he’s right, honestly. I think this team is desperate to move his deal, and that’s going to lead to us giving him away to LA.
                            that would be such a stupid move.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                              that would be such a stupid move.
                              I agree. But I think that’s the most likely scenario right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                                I agree. But I think that’s the most likely scenario right now.
                                i agree, just wish they would know better. If anything bite the bullet for the first year and just wait until you clear 30 million of that money with Volquez, Tazawa, and Ziegler deals expire.

Comment

Working...
                                X