Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
    I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if it’s a 98 Sheffield scenario. Trade everyone else, wait until beginning of new season to trade him when you find the right fit and/or a team gets more desperate.
    I would agree if he didnt have that NTC. dont think the team wants to deal with that during the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
      It's been super quiet on Stanton for weeks. I think they take until the day or 2 before the winter meetings and find the best offer over the course of the weeks leading up to the winter meetings. Then start on Ozuna, Bour, Straily, Dee, etc at the meetings.
      Its super quiet because only 3 teams are even talking about him. They have been working behind the scenes with SF and St Louis hard since beginning of the month. Its gonna play out 2 ways either Stanton puts St Louis on the list and he is dealt there or he doesn't and we send him to SF.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
      I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if it’s a 98 Sheffield scenario. Trade everyone else, wait until beginning of new season to trade him when you find the right fit and/or a team gets more desperate.
      No chance the plan is trade Stanton/see what u get in return and then figure out what to do with the others. If they get a ML position player and ML ready SP in return don't be surprised if we get rid of Gordon and some more salary but not Ozuna,Bour,Straily. However if they end up with SF deal then look for Ozuna,Bour,Straily to be gone too. We will be finding out alot over the next 2 weeks

Plus its hard when he can pick where he wants to go. This is what everyone seems to miss-fans and writers alike. Stanton has a full NTC,Philly could offer all Top 5 prospects and take his whole contract but he won't OK a trade there.

- - - - - - - - - -

Wont be the most popular trade but the smartest trade if he won't approve a St Louis deal is

SF-Stanton/20 million
      Miami-Ramos,Shaw,Beede,1.8 IFA Pool cash(From SF),More stuff from whatever team gets Cueto OR Span
      Another team-Cueto OR Span

Miami gets 5 young players/prospects(total) and money too use to sign some IFA FA(Guterriez,Soto,Martinez Cuban CF). They could possibly get 8 guys in a Stanton deal then trade Bour(since u now have Cooper/Shaw at 1B) to a team who misses on Hosmer for young ML ready pitching

I would prefer a St Louis deal myself but this isn't a bad deal if its the ONLY 1
      Last edited by tjfla; 11-26-2017, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• If you trade him, they all better get traded except Yelich. Unless you have 5 years of control (which can include them resigning someone lol), see ya. Clean house and tell Yelich hang in there until 2020.

The pitching is atrocious, and let’s assume that SF deal, that isn’t fixing it. They would need to trade everyone for pitching and see how it shakes out. I would think Ozuna gets an ace level guy, Realmuto a 3, and some other decent 3/4 types for whatever combo of Gordon, Bour, Straily, Urena, and Barraclough someone wants. Can’t half ass it. Its a 2+ year tear down and clearing off all money besides Yelich to buy the problem areas in 2 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
          If you trade him, they all better get traded except Yelich. Unless you have 5 years of control (which can include them resigning someone lol), see ya. Clean house and tell Yelich hang in there until 2020.

The pitching is atrocious, and let’s assume that SF deal, that isn’t fixing it. They would need to trade everyone for pitching and see how it shakes out. I would think Ozuna gets an ace level guy, Realmuto a 3, and some other decent 3/4 types for whatever combo of Gordon, Bour, Straily, Urena, and Barraclough someone wants. Can’t half ass it. Its a 2+ year tear down and clearing off all money besides Yelich to buy the problem areas in 2 years.
          Been saying that since July. U keep Yelich,Rojas,Anderson,Urena and a few RP. Everyone else see u later and get ready for 2020. Do it Houston/SD style

Comment

If you trade him, they all better get traded except Yelich. Unless you have 5 years of control (which can include them resigning someone lol), see ya. Clean house and tell Yelich hang in there until 2020.

I agree that if you trade Stanton you have to blow the whole thing up.

But what’s worrisome is that let’s say we solidify our pitching staff with the blow up. Now we’ll be left with decimated lineup.

It will be Yelich and ...............who?

Comment

• Jon Morosi‏Verified account
              @jonmorosi
              7m7 minutes ago
              More
              Sources: Giancarlo Stanton’s camp has given #Marlins a list of teams to which he would accept trades. #Dodgers are among them. To this point, Stanton has not formally rejected any trades. @MLB @MLBNetwork
              Jon Morosi‏Verified account
              @jonmorosi
              5m5 minutes ago
              More
              Sources: Some teams pursuing Giancarlo Stanton believe #Dodgers are his first choice, and that he will be reluctant to approve other destinations until there is clarity with LA. @MLBNetwork @MLB
              Trade should be done within the next 2 weeks.

- - - - - - - - - -

Im guessing since we know what teams he would accept a trade to, any teams we hear rumored over the next few days are among those teams. Could be completely wrong on that though.

Comment

Trade should be done within the next 2 weeks.

- - - - - - - - - -

Im guessing since we know what teams he would accept a trade to, any teams we hear rumored over the next few days are among those teams. Could be completely wrong on that though.
                LAD is Stanton's 1st,2nd and 3rd choice. The problems are they have to lose salary before they can get him(which has been hard to do because Adrian Gonzalez has No Trade and they wanna keep the SP) and the offer they gave us wasn't even close to what we want. In fact most have said the SF offer was better,which tells u how bad the LAD offer was

Now onto the 1st tweet-U noticed Morosi said "teams". Most are saying 4 teams and a few are saying 5 teams-3 teams have been confirmed for weeks. LAD,LAA,SF-no one has said the other 2 however its great news for us since he added 1 or 2 more teams to the list. U are right tho that if u see St Louis mentioned more or say SD/Boston that means he approved them. Great news is there are reportedly more than just the 3 he had

If St Louis was one of them he is off to St.Louis unless LAD decide to ramp up the interest.
                Last edited by tjfla; 11-27-2017, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Jon Morosi‏Verified account
                  @jonmorosi
                  3m3 minutes ago
                  More
                  Sources: #Dodgers and #Marlins have had contact regarding Giancarlo Stanton trade concepts, but talks have failed to progress so far; #STLCards and #SFGiants showing more sustained interest. @MLBNetwork @MLB
                  Im just inferring based on heresay which might not even be accurate, but why would we still be talking to the Cards and why would we be hearing about their interest if they arent one of the teams Stanton has said he would go to?

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                  LAD is Stanton's 1st,2nd and 3rd choice. The problems are they have to lose salary before they can get him(which has been hard to do because Adrian Gonzalez has No Trade and they wanna keep the SP) and the offer they gave us wasn't even close to what we want. In fact most have said the SF offer was better,which tells u how bad the LAD offer was

Now onto the 1st tweet-U noticed Morosi said "teams". Most are saying 4 teams and a few are saying 5 teams-3 teams have been confirmed for weeks. LAD,LAA,SF-no one has said the other 2 however its great news for us since he added 1 or 2 more teams to the list

If St Louis was one of them he is off to St.Louis unless LAD decide to ramp up the interest.
                  Ive said it before, but if we take on like 6 million in Gonzalez's contract, id love if we could get him in a stanton deal. When he has been healthy, he can still be a solid player and i think it would be worth the cost to put him in the lineup everyday in the first half and then trade him to an AL team at the deadline for a prospect. We will have to fill out a roster still this year, and he could be both a nice influence for young guys in the lineup as well as give us another piece we can flip in a trade for talent at the deadline. Plus it may make them more willing to add in another prospect for stanton.

- - - - - - - - - -

Jon Morosi‏Verified account
                  @jonmorosi
                  1m1 minute ago
                  More
                  Giancarlo Stanton trade is not imminent, sources say. While his camp has given #Marlins a list of acceptable teams, indications are the group may be negotiable. Thus, the free-agent logjam persists. @MLB @MLBNetwork
                  Who knows if Morosi's sources are good, but all these tweets are good news for the marlins.

Comment

Im just inferring based on heresay which might not even be accurate, but why would we still be talking to the Cards and why would we be hearing about their interest if they arent one of the teams Stanton has said he would go to?

- - - - - - - - - -

Ive said it before, but if we take on like 6 million in Gonzalez's contract, id love if we could get him in a stanton deal. When he has been healthy, he can still be a solid player and i think it would be worth the cost to put him in the lineup everyday in the first half and then trade him to an AL team at the deadline for a prospect. We will have to fill out a roster still this year, and he could be both a nice influence for young guys in the lineup as well as give us another piece we can flip in a trade for talent at the deadline. Plus it may make them more willing to add in another prospect for stanton.
                    They have shown interest and we have talked deals with them but Stanton had never put them on the list.(He might have now no clue yet?) Its like Otani. Everyone thinks he going to NYY or Texas but Seattle and Minnesota have shown as much interest in him. U dont stop talking until the guy says NO because if he says OK then u have deals already set. I hope he put St Louis on his list because thats the best deal.

Give me now
                    St Louis-Stanton/Ziegler/48 million
                    Miami-Flaherty/Alcantara/Diaz or OF/1 or 2 more prospects/IFA Cash

Then May 5
                    St Louis-7 million
                    Miami-#39 Pick

Ya thats what I thought they were gonna try to do but read reports that Gonzalez has a FULL No Trade not a Limited one which was reported.

Like u said-start looking for teams other than the 3 everyone knows about. At least 1 new one and maybe 2. Great for the Fish because even if Stanton prefers LA if the team is on his list he can be traded there. This was the reason SF was called the favorite,he had 3 teams on his list and 2 of them werent even interested
                    Last edited by tjfla; 11-27-2017, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                      I agree that if you trade Stanton you have to blow the whole thing up.

But what’s worrisome is that let’s say we solidify our pitching staff with the blow up. Now we’ll be left with decimated lineup.

It will be Yelich and ...............who?
                      It's a great question and concern, but I think you just build the staff and worry about it later. At least you'd have one cornerstone position player in Yelich signed through 2022, and I'm sure they would get some longterm guys (even if not elite) from Anderson/Nelson/Miller/whoever/position prospects in inevitable trades. If the rotation is basically club controlled (let's double that even, and say $15 million in a young staff or mostly pre-arbitration options), you have $75+ million to spend on bats and Yelich isn't eating up a lot of that.

I'm always about building the staff. Just build it, draft college bats with primary 2 picks next two drafts, use IF money on bats, and see what everything looks like after 2019. You can always trade pitching if they hit on every pitching prospect they have.

Comment

It's a great question and concern, but I think you just build the staff and worry about it later. At least you'd have one cornerstone position player in Yelich signed through 2022, and I'm sure they would get some longterm guys (even if not elite) from Anderson/Nelson/Miller/whoever/position prospects in inevitable trades. If the rotation is basically club controlled (let's double that even, and say $15 million in a young staff or mostly pre-arbitration options), you have $75+ million to spend on bats and Yelich isn't eating up a lot of that.

I'm always about building the staff. Just build it, draft college bats with primary 2 picks next two drafts, use IF money on bats, and see what everything looks like after 2019. You can always trade pitching if they hit on every pitching prospect they have.
                        I think we have more than enough trade pieces where we can get BOTH quality front line starting pitching prospects as well as hitting talent for the future. If we do it right that is and completely tear it down. Realmuto, Bour, Dee, Prado, Stanton, Ozuna, Straily, Barraclough, Tazawa, Ziegler should all be traded.

Comment

I think we have more than enough trade pieces where we can get BOTH quality front line starting pitching prospects as well as hitting talent for the future. If we do it right that is and completely tear it down. Realmuto, Bour, Dee, Prado, Stanton, Ozuna, Straily, Barraclough, Tazawa, Ziegler should all be traded.
                          Add Urena to the trade list. 5.2 FIP, let someone else believe and get an AA version of him and a good RP prospect. No sense in letting him get bombed and he turns into a Koehler dump.

And sure, maybe they can do that, but you're probably going to only get 4-5 impact prospects from Stanton, Ozuna, and Realmuto, and the rest are going to be potential average regulars, role players, and relievers. I'm just saying, I'd want the OOMPH in the trades to be overwhelming pitching and I would target pitchers as the prime piece in every deal. Draft college bats next two cycles, use IF money on guys 1+ year away, look to pluck the next Bour in low key deals, etc. It will all work out if you get the pitching right.

Comment

• Looks like 5 teams on Stanton's list AND if the team is NOT on his list he is willing to listen to a pitch from them before deciding yes or no

Could be interesting for us.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
                            Add Urena to the trade list. 5.2 FIP, let someone else believe and get an AA version of him and a good RP prospect. No sense in letting him get bombed and he turns into a Koehler dump.

And sure, maybe they can do that, but you're probably going to only get 4-5 impact prospects from Stanton, Ozuna, and Realmuto, and the rest are going to be potential average regulars, role players, and relievers. I'm just saying, I'd want the OOMPH in the trades to be overwhelming pitching and I would target pitchers as the prime piece in every deal. Draft college bats next two cycles, use IF money on guys 1+ year away, look to pluck the next Bour in low key deals, etc. It will all work out if you get the pitching right.
                            U don't get picky-u try to get the best talent in trades pitcher or batter and also try to get IFA Pool Cash/Draft picks in deals so u have more chances at high end talent,take college players in the draft early who are proven(No more 17 yr olds who don't even play-u get a 22 yr old who is in Jax to start year 2) and use all of the IFA Cash every year. The model u follow is Houston and SD-u set a date(either 2020 or 2021) and then get as much talent as u can who will be ready by that date.

We did the Bour thing with Cooper and wouldn't be surprised if we hit the Rule 5 hard this year

The Stanton trade return is gonna pretty much tell our strategy.
                            Last edited by tjfla; 11-28-2017, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                              Looks like 5 teams on Stanton's list AND if the team is NOT on his list he is willing to listen to a pitch from them before deciding yes or no

Could be interesting for us.

- - - - - - - - - -

U don't get picky-u try to get the best talent in trades pitcher or batter and also try to get IFA Pool Cash/Draft picks in deals so u have more chances at high end talent,take college players in the draft early who are proven(No more 17 yr olds who don't even play-u get a 22 yr old who is in Jax to start year 2) and use all of the IFA Cash every year. The model u follow is Houston and SD-u set a date(either 2020 or 2021) and then get as much talent as u can who will be ready by that date.

We did the Bour thing with Cooper and wouldn't be surprised if we hit the Rule 5 hard this year

The Stanton trade return is gonna pretty much tell our strategy.
                              About the rule 5: there are tons of really interesting prospects who are available. I hope we can pick up as many guys as possible. Do everything we can to get talent in the organization in any way possible.

Comment

About the rule 5: there are tons of really interesting prospects who are available. I hope we can pick up as many guys as possible. Do everything we can to get talent in the organization in any way possible.
                                Only issue with Rule 5 is they have to stay on team all year so really most u can get is 2 guys unless u really tanking.SD had 4 this year I think

We arent gonna get "talent" in it but usually can find a nice arm or 4th Of

Comment

Working...
                                X