No announcement yet.

Loria Pens Open Letter to "Fans"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if they want to build a stronger farm system they need to stop drafting cheap and start investing in latin america. otherwise that is an empty platitude
    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
    Noah Perio
    Jupiter
    39 AB
    15 H
    0 2B
    0 3B
    0 HR
    0 BB
    .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
      How does that compare to others?

He mentions creating a homegrown roster - so not necessarily right this second but more so when some of these players make their way up
      I think Loria means homegrown not in the actual sense of it, where you drafted the players and brought them the whole way, but rather in a way that includes prospects that they traded for who then made it to the Marlins.

I'm not sure you're allowed to call those guys homegrown, but it's been his team and fuck everyone else for awhile now, so I guess he can do what he wants.

Comment

Yeah he def means guys that came over and came through the minors

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
          I agree that the method of $100 million+ payroll wasn't sustainable, but it was his responsibility to know that before last season. Last season should've been a $60-70 million payroll, with it staying the same or a little bit up every season thereafter. It's Loria and his baseball people's jobs to find out if they could've maintained a profit even in a bad season with a $100+ million payroll.

I think Loria understands just how much of a PR nightmare he's created, but honestly, as long as he's making money and putting together a meh team, I think he's cool with pissing off the fanbase.
          All of which makes some people believe this was all pre-mediated if the season went awry as it did.

I'm 50-50 on that. I do believe he is capable of that kind of evil. We already know he is greedy & self-centered, that would kind of complete the picture.

Comment

I bet Loria considered Hanley homegrown

But he certainly considered someone like Dontrelle homegrown, which is fuckfaced of him to do

Comment

The fact that Bud Selig allows this man and his imp to own and run a major league franchise is an absolute joke. It is in the best interest of baseball for someone else to own this team, yet Selig stands by and does nothing.

Comment

Weird reactions

Comment

Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
                  I think Loria means homegrown not in the actual sense of it, where you drafted the players and brought them the whole way, but rather in a way that includes prospects that they traded for who then made it to the Marlins.

I'm not sure you're allowed to call those guys homegrown, but it's been his team and fuck everyone else for awhile now, so I guess he can do what he wants.
                  He also has a product to sell. He's made the jobs of so many others around him almost impossible it's hard to believe unless they are are being wildly overpaid no one really wants it, and their job is nearly impossible and not long lasting. I'm sure there is a high turnover rate inside their ticket dept, as I can't believe anyone can make their quota's if they have them. That should be a highly coveted job and I am sure many jump at the opportunity, but I can only guess that its not very long lasting - the job and or the enthusiasm for it.
                  Last edited by oakelmpine; 02-24-2013, 01:05 PM.

Comment

The best comment I have read regarding Loria's ownership is "Loria is allowed to own a MLB team but Mark Cuban isnt? How does that make any sense".
                    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                    Noah Perio
                    Jupiter
                    39 AB
                    15 H
                    0 2B
                    0 3B
                    0 HR
                    0 BB
                    .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by oakelmpine View Post
                      He also has a product to sell. He's made the jobs of so many others around him almost impossible it's hard to believe unless they are are being wildly overpaid no one really wants it, and their job is nearly impossible and not long lasting. I'm sure there is a high turnover rate inside their ticket dept, as I can't believe anyone can make their quota's if they have them. That should be a highly coveted job and I am sure many jump at the opportunity, but I can only guess that its not very long lasting - the job and or the enthusiasm for it.
                      I'm not sure how this relates to my post, unless you are saying that you think calling players homegrown is a selling point. Is that what you are saying?

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
                        The best comment I have read regarding Loria's ownership is "Loria is allowed to own a MLB team but Mark Cuban isnt? How does that make any sense".
                        It's very easy, because of Bud Selig. He has the power & means to coerce Loria if he really wanted him out.
                        --------------------
                        Originally posted by Madman81 View Post
                        I'm not sure how this relates to my post, unless you are saying that you think calling players homegrown is a selling point. Is that what you are saying?
                        I'm speaking in general terms. Loria has fucked up this whole thing so badly he probably (only guessing here) has a hard time keeping really good employees around him because of not only his own brash and abrasive demeanor, but also because morale must be unbearably low due to the whole negative aura surrounding the team.

The players are supposed to be any teams selling point, but they have no one but Stanton that is remotely commercially viable at this time, and even there they might have fucked up that relationship beyond repair.

His letter, instead of cooling the waters, only has stoked the fires so-to-speak of those with already negative views of his ownership style. If he really believes a letter like this will get him off the hook for his nightmarish PR problems since the trade, he's more in LaLa Land than I even dared to think. He truly is The Emperor with no clothes.
                        Last edited by oakelmpine; 02-24-2013, 01:56 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

LETTER TO OUR FANS

It's no secret that last season was not our best -- actually it was one of our worst. In large part, our performance on the field stunk and something needed to be done. As a result of some bold moves, many grabbed hold of our tough yet necessary decision only to unleash a vicious cycle of negativity. As the owner of the ballclub, the buck stops with me and I take my share of the blame where it's due. However, many of the things being said about us are simply not true. I've sat by quietly and allowed this to continue. Now it's time for me to respond to our most important constituents, the fans who love the game of baseball.

THE ROSTER

Losing is unacceptable to me. It's incumbant upon us to take swift action and make bold moves when there are glaring problems. The controversial trade we made with the Toronto Blue Jays was approved by Commissioner Bud Selig and has been almost universally celebrated by baseball experts outside of Miami for its value. We hope, with an open mind, our community can reflect on the fact that we had one of the worst records in baseball. Acquiring high-profile players just didn't work, and nearly everyone on our team underperformed as compared to their career numbers. Our plan for the year ahead is to leverage our young talent and create a homegrown roster of long-term players who can win. In fact, objective experts have credited us with going from the 28th ranked Minor League system in baseball to the 5th best during this period. Of the Top 100 Minor Leaguers rated by MLB Network, we have six -- tied for the most of any team in the league. We'll evaluate this roster and possibly bring in additional talent based on our assessment of what we need. The very same naysayers who are currently skeptical once attacked us for bringing Pudge Rodriguez to the Marlins in 2003. More than any other, that move contributed to our World Series Championship.

THE BALLPARK

The ballpark issue has been repeatedly reported incorrectly and there are some very negative accustations being thrown around. It ain't true, folks. Those who have attacked us are entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts. The majority of public funding came from hotel taxes, the burden of which is incurred by tourists who are visiting our city, NOT the resident taxpayers. The Marlins organization also agreed to contribute $161.2 million toward the ballpark, plus the cost of the garage complex. In addition, the Marlins receive no operating subsidy from local government funding. The ballpark required that all debt service is paid by existing revenue. Furthermore, many are attacking the County's method of financing for its contribution, but the Marlins had nothing at all to do with that. The fact is, with your help, we built Marlins Park, a crown jewel in our beautiful Miami skyline, which has won over twenty design and architecture awards and will help make us a premiere ballclub moving forward.

OUR FINANCES

The simple fact is that we don't have unlimited funds, nor does any baseball team or business. Fans didn't turn out last season as much as we'd like, even with the high-profile players the columnists decry us having traded. The main ingredient to a successful ball club is putting together a winning team, including a ncecessary core of young talent. Are we fiscally capable and responsible enough to fill the roster with talented players, invest in the daily demands of running a world-class organization and bring a World Series back to Miami? Absolutely! Is it sound business sense to witness an expensive roster with a terrible record and sit idly by doing nothing? No. I can and will invest in building a winner, but last season wasn't sustainable and we needed to start from scratch quickly to build this team from the ground up.

COMMUNICATION

An organization is only as good as its connection with the community. We know we can do a better job communicating with our fans. That starts now. From this point forward we can ensure fans and the entire community that we will keep you abreast of our plan, rationale and motivations.

Amidst the current news coverage, it an be easy to forget how far we went together not so long ago. In 2003, I helped bring a second World Series Title to South Florida. We know how to build a winning team, and have every intention of doing so again. I know you share my passion for great Marlins baseball, my love of MIami and my desire to win again. We're in this together and I humbly ask that we start fresh, watch us mature qjuickly as a ball club, and root for the home team in 2013.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Loria

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_...#storylink=cpy
                          --------------------
                          The controversial trade we made with the Toronto Blue Jays was approved by Commissioner Bud Selig and has been almost universally celebrated by baseball experts outside of Miami for its value.
                          This guy is delusional. The main reason anyone has "celebrated" that deal is because of the amount of money that came off the books. The players? Some are ok and surely will become some useful pieces moving forward, but the main rub was getting the Buerhle and Reyes backloads off the books which would free up resources to sign whatever else. That's why it was "celebrated" scumbag. That makes sense. Acquire assets in trade, and sign others. You forgot to do the second part.
                          Last edited by lou; 02-24-2013, 02:43 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I celebrate dumping Buck, Buerhle and JJ

Comment

JJ should have been traded at the deadline
                              Noah Perio
                              Jupiter
                              39 AB
                              15 H
                              0 2B
                              0 3B
                              0 HR
                              0 BB
                              .385/.385/.385

Comment

The thing he said about the Toronto trade was/is not false.
                                Last edited by Erick; 02-24-2013, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X