Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it's fucking ridiculous that payroll will only be in the $60 million range.
    --------------------
    At $60 million, they would be $17 million short of the Rays open day payroll a year ago.
    Last edited by Bobbob1313; 10-06-2014, 11:20 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    poop

Comment

• OR SLIGHTLY HIGHER

always so damn negative

Comment

• yeah, it's insane to think that three years ago we were led to believe we could sustain a $100 million payroll consistently
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• 28 teams had a payroll within $3m of $80m last season. They're gonna raise payroll to $67 million and talk about Loria's commitment to winning and investing in a winner.
          poop

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
            yeah, it's insane to think that three years ago we were led to believe we could sustain a $100 million payroll consistently
            well we could

Comment

• of course

but we wont
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• If the Marlins trade Cishek, they'll end up using his money to overpay someone that has a bunch of saves with poor peripherals.

Comment

• I don't believe that. They've never overpaid for closers or relievers save for Heath Bell.

They'll use it on a "veteran off the bench" or a veteran who used to be good and fast but now isn't but still leads off anyway

Comment

• Frisaro with possible position changes

Yelich-OF to 1B No chance unless we get a big time OF
                    Koehler-SP to RP Probably 5th Starter but maybe swingman
                    Brantly-C to 1B/3B Says he has been practicing at both
                    Dietrich-2B to 1B/OF Can hit so? practicing at 1B/LF
                    Eovaldi- SP to RP No chance in hell!!!!!!! Eovaldi is not a closer or RP

Comment

• lol brantly

he should be practicing at batboy

Comment

• Eovaldi, Cishek, Dunn, and declining Mathis clears $12+ easy. If payroll is even say $65, that is $15+ to spend in free agency.

Not Shields/etc., but if they get a veteran 3/4 SP for $10-12 a year (very doable. Brandon McCarthy probably won't get that and he was absolutely great in New York), a veteran's minimum backup catcher with an eye towards Realmuto up in July/August, and get some veteran infielder on a 1/$2-3 year deal to play anywhere, that is looking pretty good assuming two good young relatively play now infielders come back for Eovaldi and Cishek (or one really good one if traded in a package).

I don't think they necessarily "need" to spend $75 (i.e. paying someone $18+ a year), unless they get a top 5-6 free agent (Lester, Shields, Panda, Max, Hanley, and I guess Torress but I would pass because they all aren't going to be Abreu, Puig, and Cespedes...). There is really nothing else to spend real money on besides said 3/4 SP for 2-3 years.

I'm fine with $60+ regardless if that is a Loria determined cap given that signing one of those 6 is a longshot in the first place. This was always going to be a trade offseason. Trade some pitching for bats, and really trust Alvarez "some veteran SP," Cosart, Koehler, and Heaney/Hand to take the next step and turn into a good young rotation. Personally, I think it's a good gamble. Some nice pedigree with Cosart and Heaney projection wise, Alvarez seems to be turning into a good 2/awesome 3, and they can chug 350+ innings out of a veteran, koehler, and hand. Fernandez changes everything when back with this group.

What I'd really like to see is a payroll commitment moving forward (of course, just saying as compared to current bitching for 2015 payroll).

Yelich buyout for 7
                        Alvarez buyout for 5
                        Stanton buyout for 4-6 (anything he'll sign)

Until that pipe dream happens, can't get angry at 2015 payroll given the state of the team and free agency.
                        --------------------
                        Unless they completely miss on one of those 5-6 just because Loria is cheap. Then I'll be mad. But I don't think payroll will be the only issue keeping those guys away from as lucrative offers from better franchises.
                        Last edited by lou; 10-06-2014, 03:27 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I'd rather the team trade Eovaldi then move him to the pen.

Comment

• Probably nothing we didn't already know, but:
                            @JimBowden_ESPN: Michael Hill just told us their goal is to get Giancarlo Stanton signed to a long term contract by the Winter Meetings…Sirius 209 XM 89
                            @JimBowden_ESPN: Michael Hill told us that they’d like to add one more big bat and a starting pitcher this off-season @MLBNetworkRadio #Marlins

Comment

• Marlins exercise Jeff Mathis' $1.5 million option for 2015.
                              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Glad Mathis will be back.

Not glad that they're still delusional about signing Stanton. Their confidence says to me that they have absolutely no idea what it's going to cost.

Comment

Working...
                                X