X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's more funner than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
      But that's also completely unsustainable.

Process over results.
      I would agree, but Flynn has 139 K's over 149 innings this year. He clearly has the stuff to strike people out. A line like tonight shows me that he can have a great start without his best stuff. That is part of the process of becoming a quality MLB pitcher.

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
        I would agree, but Flynn has 139 K's over 149 innings this year. He clearly has the stuff to strike people out. A line like tonight shows me that he can have a great start without his best stuff. That is part of the process of becoming a quality MLB pitcher.
        It could just as easily be silly luck, though.

Comment

It could just as easily be silly luck, though.
          So every time a pitcher puts up a line like that it's pure luck? It's only not luck as long as he's striking out a batter per inning? That hardly seems logical. I'm not saying Ks are not important, but when a guy who, throughout the season, has good strikeout numbers puts up a line like that, it's silly to just say he got lucky. He still pitched a great game.

Comment

As I expected but got it confirmed, Ceda is done for the year. His velo is down and looked bad.
            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
              As I expected but got it confirmed, Ceda is done for the year. His velo is down and looked bad.
              Done for good is more likely. Gotta think we will get rid of him

Comment

I agree. Maybe bring him back on a minor league deal, but that's it. He'll be outrighted come October.

Comment

So every time a pitcher puts up a line like that it's pure luck? It's only not luck as long as he's striking out a batter per inning? That hardly seems logical. I'm not saying Ks are not important, but when a guy who, throughout the season, has good strikeout numbers puts up a line like that, it's silly to just say he got lucky. He still pitched a great game.
                  You should maybe not put words in my mouth.

Comment

You should maybe not put words in my mouth.
                    Well, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. Just trying to have a conversation...not an argument.

I said Flynn's numbers this year indicate that his last start was a good start without his best stuff (8 shutout innings with 2 Ks). You said "It could just as easily be silly luck, though." I suppose that could be true, but is it just "luck" every time a pitcher throws a good game with a minimal amount of K's?

Comment

I think Mainge was speaking vaguely about why he doesn't like low strikeout numbers, but it just seemed like it was applying to Flynn.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
                        I think Mainge was speaking vaguely about why he doesn't like low strikeout numbers, but it just seemed like it was applying to Flynn.
                        I suppose I could have misread it.

Comment

Mainge's fault

Comment

Gil Velazquez isn't in the lineup tonight. I think it means something.

Comment

Well it's my fault if I misread it...and I have no problem with the opinion. I mean, who likes pitchers with low K rates? I was just caught off guard by the response to what I thought was my pretty benign response.

Comment

Well, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. Just trying to have a conversation...not an argument.

I said Flynn's numbers this year indicate that his last start was a good start without his best stuff (8 shutout innings with 2 Ks). You said "It could just as easily be silly luck, though." I suppose that could be true, but is it just "luck" every time a pitcher throws a good game with a minimal amount of K's?
                                It is a debate.

I never said it was lucky. I said "maybe it was silly luck." Maybe he was inducing a lot of weak contact, maybe he wasn't, I don't know. I just think it's silly to deduce one way or the other.

And yeah, generally speaking, it is luck every time a pitcher throws a good game without K's. That's not a strikeout rate that can be successful longterm, so I'd rather not see it. I also don't think a start like that every once in a while is a big deal so I didn't care really. I only commented because Hugg said I'd hate that line. I do hate that line, as I should, but that doesn't mean I think it's relevant or representative of the type of pitcher he is.

Comment

Working...
                                X