X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dee Gordon Wins First Career Gold Glove

Perry Hill does it again
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

I don't even think Nostradamus would have predicted the season that Gordon just had.

Comment

Arbitration is going to be expensive. He could make $25-30 next 3 years easy. Considering Gordon would get a ton in free agency right now, I suspect a 6 year deal is in the 6/$70 range minimum for a buyout. That would be years 28-33.

Same with Hech. Go year to year with him. Don't commit to those plus 30 years unless its super club beneficial.

Comment

Instead of selling high. I could care less if Dee really is this good, float his name out there and see the offers. He should be able to bring back players that would combine to be more valuable short and long term than he is worth. Of course the FO is going to sign him long term and he's going to be a DFA candidate before the end of his contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
          Instead of selling high. I could care less if Dee really is this good, float his name out there and see the offers. He should be able to bring back players that would combine to be more valuable short and long term than he is worth. Of course the FO is going to sign him long term and he's going to be a DFA candidate before the end of his contract.
          nah, let's not do that. dee is fun. can't we just have fun? we're never going to be legitimately competitive under loria, so can we at least keep our fun players?

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
            this would be the absolute worst

like, this is the exact move that, if made, would cause most people here to finally say fuck it, even though none of us are humongous Dee fans
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
              this would be the absolute worst

like, this is the exact move that, if made, would cause most people here to finally say fuck it, even though none of us are humongous Dee fans
              If you're making the team more competitive for next year, I don't see why this would matter. And this is the Marlins so there are like no fans to worry about upsetting and more people will care to follow a winning team than a team with Dee that loses the majority of it's games.

Comment

"no fans" is still 1.75 million people who came through the gate

he's incredibly marketable, coming off a career year, was a bright spot on a shitty team and - oh yeah - was one of the best players in all of baseball last year

whether he declines isn't even in the question - no team in their right mind, in any condition, would trade a club-controlled player coming off the season he did.

Comment

"no fans" is still 1.75 million people who came through the gate

he's incredibly marketable, coming off a career year, was a bright spot on a shitty team and - oh yeah - was one of the best players in all of baseball last year

whether he declines isn't even in the question - no team in their right mind, in any condition, would trade a club-controlled player coming off the season he did.
                  I disagree with this part. Not saying the Marlins should trade him, but after a career year is usually the best time to trade a player, especially if you don't feel like he will reach the same level of production in the future.

Comment

After a career year for a guy who is older, not club controlled, has impending free agency, and didn't have one of the best offensive seasons in baseball, sure

by any metric Dee Gordon was a top 10 player in the league last year

you don't trade that - ignoring fans - because you don't trade a top 10 player in the league unless you're getting another top 10 player in the league. You don't trade top 10 player for potential, for prospects, for ability.

Comment

Dee was so much better on defense than anyone expected.

And others have said, even with an expected regression he's a cornerstone player to build around. With improved defense Dee is firmly one of the top 2nd baseman in baseball, making him incredibly valuable. Coaches love him, players love him, fans love him, and he's just the kind of player that a team that wants to make the playoffs needs to have. Plus we traded quite a lot to get him in the first place.

If you want to improve the team, there are other places to look on the roster.

Comment

Dee Gordon was the 14th best player in the NL using fWAR. Sure the difference between 14 and 9 is probably negligible, but I don't feel safe saying he was a surfire top 10 player.

I don't feel Gordon will ever have another season like 2015. It would take a lot of things bouncing his way.
                        I'm not saying to trade him, but I don't think it would be wise to not listen if a team comes calling. Hell, I'd listen on Stanton if I was the GM.

Gordon had a 113 wRC+ and much of that value came ftom his .383 BABIP. If you regress that to even a .360 BABIP, his numbers regress with that so fast.

I'm not calling Dee Gordon a bad player. I just don't see how he's an untouchable asset. If a team blows you away, you trade him.

Comment

He just won the batting title and the gold glove, guys. Can we at least take a minute and appreciate it before we talk about him falling back to Earth and that he's gonna burn the house down? It's probably the better move to make, sure. I don't want it, just like I didn't want Stanton moved. I want to enjoy the fact we have a really good baseball player without having to worry about the overall sad sack state of this fucking team.

Comment

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                            Dee Gordon was the 14th best player in the NL using fWAR. Sure the difference between 14 and 9 is probably negligible, but I don't feel safe saying he was a surfire top 10 player.

I don't feel Gordon will ever have another season like 2015. It would take a lot of things bouncing his way.
                            I'm not saying to trade him, but I don't think it would be wise to not listen if a team comes calling. Hell, I'd listen on Stanton if I was the GM.

Gordon had a 113 wRC+ and much of that value came ftom his .383 BABIP. If you regress that to even a .360 BABIP, his numbers regress with that so fast.

I'm not calling Dee Gordon a bad player. I just don't see how he's an untouchable asset. If a team blows you away, you trade him.
                            How many non-firesale scenarios can we think of in which a club-controlled player coming off a, let's call it top-15 season, and a career year, was traded that offseason?

It just doesn't happen.

If next year was Dee's last year before FA, and we weren't going to sign him, and we didn't want to make the playoffs...sure, do what the Mets did with R.A. Dickey (who still doesn't really meet my criteria because he wasn't club controlled, but whatever). But this is a team that wants to make the playoffs and is no longer in rebuilding mode.

Again, ignoring the fan aspect - how does trading Dee Gordon HELP the ballclub? Who replaces him? Who do we get in return? Even if there were a trade in which a team sent back a young controlled #2 SP, do you want to trade an everyday player coming off a career year who has improved 3 years in a row for a young pitcher, which is the most volatile substance on earth?

It just doesn't make sense any way you slice it. I think Marlins fans are conditioned to think "big year, let's trade the guy" because that's how it has always been. But that's rarely beneficial and certainly wouldn't be now.

Comment

How many non-firesale scenarios can we think of in which a club-controlled player coming off a, let's call it top-15 season, and a career year, was traded that offseason?

It just doesn't happen.

If next year was Dee's last year before FA, and we weren't going to sign him, and we didn't want to make the playoffs...sure, do what the Mets did with R.A. Dickey (who still doesn't really meet my criteria because he wasn't club controlled, but whatever). But this is a team that wants to make the playoffs and is no longer in rebuilding mode.

Again, ignoring the fan aspect - how does trading Dee Gordon HELP the ballclub? Who replaces him? Who do we get in return? Even if there were a trade in which a team sent back a young controlled #2 SP, do you want to trade an everyday player coming off a career year who has improved 3 years in a row for a young pitcher, which is the most volatile substance on earth?

It just doesn't make sense any way you slice it. I think Marlins fans are conditioned to think "big year, let's trade the guy" because that's how it has always been. But that's rarely beneficial and certainly wouldn't be now.
                              See, I don't disagree with anything you said. But I'm going to reiterate I don't think he's untouchable and you listen to offers. If someone blows you away, you do the deal and call it a day.

I am not advocating trading him, just that he's not untouchable.

Comment

Working...
                              X