No announcement yet.

Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bold positions make for good forums. I think Monte Harrison will be better than Tucker, Soto and Brinson too. Why? He's just getting started after playing three sports in high school followed by a couple years of injuries. His performance in the fall league had everyone talking. Should Brinson's higher rating suggest he'll be the better pro? I can't see it.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 02-16-2018, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
      Based on my personal research and refusal to accept subjective prospect rankings as any kind of gospel. Just for the record, 2014 prospect lists had JT Realmuto behind d'Arnaud. Hedges, Alfaro, Swihart, Bethancourt, McGuire, Susac ... need I go on? Another example: Tyler Kolek. The guy threw 100 and never knew how to pitch, yet still was ranked ahead of guys who actually performed.
      What research? And I'm not saying this to give you a hard, time, I'm actually curious how much insight you have into these guys. If you've put the time in I would absolutely value your opinion. If not, I'm not sure how you could make a claim like that with any confidence, though. You don't have to go by the prospect rankings if you are going off of actually seeing them play extensively, or their numbers. These rankings from the good sites are experienced guys that watch these prospects, though. Of course they're not going to get them all right, that's how prospects work in all sports. It's hard for me to believe that a guy seen by most in the scouting community as someone with upside, but far from any kind of great prospect is given a higher value than a couple of prospects that much of the scouting community seems to be extremely high on.

Comment

Bold positions make for good forums. I think Monte Harrison will be better than Tucker, Soto and Brinson too. Why? He's just getting started after playing three sports in high school followed by a couple years of injuries. His performance in the fall league had everyone talking. Should Brinson's higher rating suggest he'll be the better pro? I can't see it.
        A lot of Milwaukee fans feel that way with Brinson/Harrison, so that one passes the smell test more than the others. Guess we'll see.

All I think is, I feel they have the future OF already. They have real upside and numbers with what they got.

Comment

• I think Brinson is the safer prospect (even though i dont think he's a sure thing by any stretch of the imagination) but i think Harrison has an unreal ceiling. I do agree they have their future OF set though. But if you could get Soto/Tucker you do it and figure out the rest later.

Comment

• What OF is that? Brinson and who? We've got 3-tool Sierra - no power or plate discipline. 4-tool Braxton Lee (18 assists from CF in AA last season!) would be a decent fourth OF. If we're building a truly great team, we want three OF that can do it all. Harrison and my aforementioned Daniel Johnson would do that. Tucker would work too.

P.S. My research is in the form of reading everything (old retired guys have time for that). I favor prospects that actually perform at a high level in the minor leagues. Soto, for example, hasn't even played A ball - he's barely played. I shake my head at Sandy Alcantara being rated so highly. He's shown no ability to throw enough strikes or miss enough bats.
            Last edited by Lee Stone; 02-16-2018, 05:42 PM.

Comment

What OF is that? Brinson and who? We've got 3-tool Sierra - no power or plate discipline. 4-tool Braxton Lee (18 assists from CF in AA last season!) would be a decent fourth OF. If we're building a truly great team, we want three OF that can do it all. Harrison and my aforementioned Daniel Johnson would do that. Tucker would work too.

P.S. My research is in the form of reading everything (old retired guys have time for that). I favor prospects that actually perform at a high level in the minor leagues. Soto, for example, hasn't even played A ball - he's barely played. I shake my head at Sandy Alcantara being rated so highly. He's shown no ability to throw enough strikes or miss enough bats.
              Brinson, Sierra, Harrison, Lee, Miller. You can try, but youre likely not gonna get 3 5 tool OF's.

Comment

• Yeah, can you even imagine what an OF with 3 5 tool OF's would look like?

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                  Yeah, can you even imagine what an OF with 3 5 tool OF's would look like?
                  The one we just traded away...

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                      You can try, but youre likely not gonna get 3 5 tool OF's.

Someone call Hugg and tell him the Post Of The Year was locked up 2 months in to 2018.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                        none of those guys were 5 tools.

Comment

none of those guys were 5 tools.
                          ok fella.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                            ok fella.
                            are you familiar with the 5 tools? because if you were you wouldnt be arguing that.

Comment

are you familiar with the 5 tools? because if you were you wouldnt be arguing that.
                              For one thing the 5 tools designation is outdated by about 30 years, and super subjective, so I don't know why you brought it up, but if there was any outfield in the major leagues last year that you wanted to make an argument for having 3 5-tool outfielders than it would be by far the Marlins. The only tool for any of the 3 guys that I don't think you'd have an argument for is Yelich's arm.

Comment

• Very true. Speed didn't translate into extra bases or steals for Ozuna or Stanton, but it was a well-rounded OF.

Comment

Working...
                                X