Marlins 2017-2018 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
    This is amazing since he was captain vanilla with the NY press. Wouldn't give them anything even remotely controversial to run with and print.
    This is exactly what i was thinking, which is why i asked the context of his statement and whether he thought it would go public.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
      This is amazing since he was captain vanilla with the NY press. Wouldn't give them anything even remotely controversial to run with and print.
      Maybe in his mind he doesn't see it as controversial.

Comment

• BP projecting Marlins 66 wins - https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/fantasy/dc/

Tied with KC for lowest in baseball.

Realmuto 3 WAR (these are my estimates)
        Bour 2 WAR
        Straily 2 WAR
        Castro 2 WAR
        Dietrich 2 WAR
        Barraclough 1 WAR

Let's see how ugly they want to make it.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
          BP projecting Marlins 66 wins - https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/fantasy/dc/

Tied with KC for lowest in baseball.

Realmuto 3 WAR (these are my estimates)
          Bour 2 WAR
          Straily 2 WAR
          Castro 2 WAR
          Dietrich 2 WAR
          Barraclough 1 WAR

Let's see how ugly they want to make it.
          I think its gonna be similar to that year when Yelich and Marisnick were our top prospects. Start out terrible with a bunch of veterans/journeyman to kill time for service time/MLB readiness reasons and then we bring up young guys midseason and start to gradually get better and hopefully show promise heading into 2019 . I think we end between 65-70 wins.

Comment

• https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/02/07/de...low_twitter_si

Must read article about Jeter and the marlins. Lots of news in there, not the least of which is that his investment is 50% more than its been reported to be for months.

Comment

• Fangraphs has a few prospect articles of general interest:

The starting prospects here are all lower-level arms and various shades of one type: guys with electric stuff, who have a chance to start, but who face questions about whether they can do it long term. Some are more electric than others and Paddack, for example, doesn’t fit that description: he’s coming off of Tommy John surgery and his best pitch is his changeup. Without surgery, he likely would’ve posted strong enough numbers to appear on the actual top 100.

Edward Cabrera, RHP, Miami Marlins

(https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/here...pects-we-love/)
              Mention on Fangraphs for Cabrera. Of course Paddack is referenced.

Kiley - So last thing here is, people tend to ask us to name a prospect outside of the top 50 who we could see being in our top 10 next year. Who is your pick to click?

Eric - On the 100 or off of it?

Kiley - Either.

Eric - I really think Will Smith is very good. The amateur reports were all about his rare athleticism and speed at catcher and his feel for contact, but he’s added that leg kick and is getting to real power. I think he could be a special all-around player. Top-10 might be rich for him, but I think he’s moving up. Feels like you’re baiting me into fawning over Monte Harrison some more.

Kiley - Really like Smith; he was one of the couple guys I was looking at. Especially with where the game is going, I’m drawn to guys with home-run power and some kind of defensive value, so I’m looking at Heliot Ramos, Seuly Matias, Brandon Marsh, and Monte Harrison. I’ll go with Harrison since he has the most tools and has already performed.
              They think Harrison has the chance to be a top 10 prospect next year.

Comment

• Harrison is my favorite prospect we've gotten in any of these trades.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                  Harrison is my favorite prospect we've gotten in any of these trades.
                  Any answer outside of Lewis Brinson is treason.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Brinson's by far more of a sure thing. I think Harrison's ceiling is higher.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                      Fangraphs has a few prospect articles of general interest:

Mention on Fangraphs for Cabrera. Of course Paddack is referenced.

They think Harrison has the chance to be a top 10 prospect next year.
                      We actually have a few nice low level arms. Issue has been the FO in the past handling them with kid gloves

Edward Cabrera
                      Alberto Guerrero
                      Jeremy Ovalle
                      Javier Garcia
                      Elkin Alcala

Also a few guys in DSL during 2017-arms and bats we should be watching. Hopefully Denbo brings them up and tests them. Instead of signing career minor leaguers move these guys up to A Ball and test them out(So far we haven't signed to many "old" ones)

As for Harrison IF he stays healthy he could be TOP 10. Has all the tools but he is our NEW "Big Hurt". Seems to get weird injuries or minor things that last.

A guy we should watch is Isael Soto. Broke foot and was out all year but has tons of power(Ozuna like) and if he hits 15-20 HR in Jupiter he would move up the charts
                      Last edited by tjfla; 02-08-2018, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Brinson's by far more of a sure thing. I think Harrison's ceiling is higher.
                        I agree with this. Only thing that scares me is that we've had such horrible experiences with these kind of multi sport athletes. Maybe things will change though with the new front office and the fact that we didnt draft him ourselves.

Comment

• you mean like Stanton?

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, Harrison had 453 ABs last year played in 122 minor league games. Couldn't have been hurt too much last year.

Comment

you mean like Stanton?

- - - - - - - - - -

Also, Harrison had 453 ABs last year played in 122 minor league games. Couldn't have been hurt too much last year.
                            haha i honestly completely forgot Stanton played football, but i was referring to the 2 sport athlete or super athlete we pick every year somewhere between round 3-10.
                            Last edited by fish16; 02-08-2018, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• I don't know how you could forget. Rich Waltz brought it up pretty much every game.

The difference between Harrison and those guys is he's actually showing he can play professionally when a lot of those guys it's basically a coin flip drafting them out of high school.

Comment

I don't know how you could forget. Rich Waltz brought it up pretty much every game.

The difference between Harrison and those guys is he's actually showing he can play professionally when a lot of those guys it's basically a coin flip drafting them out of high school.
                                Cause i was thinking just of the busts that we've gotten through drafting that way because its been a lot. Was just saying they always draft those athletes who dont actually have much baseball experience. Harrison seems to be a different breed of athlete though from all the guys im referring to. Im excited to see him this year and i think his ceiling is higher than Brinson but he comes with some risk.

Comment

Working...
                                X