No announcement yet.

Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure why everyone is trading Ramos when the stated goal was to build as deep a pen as possible. I think Ramos is very much part of that plan. Whether you agree with it or not, that's the plan. Now if it doesn't work, you can always trade him or any other arm during the year....but I think for now they're keeping all these arms.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
      Not sure why everyone is trading Ramos when the stated goal was to build as deep a pen as possible. I think Ramos is very much part of that plan. Whether you agree with it or not, that's the plan. Now if it doesn't work, you can always trade him or any other arm during the year....but I think for now they're keeping all these arms.
      They can trade Ramos and Ellington is still in AAA, that's pretty deep.

I think you move Ramos+Ozuna/Dietrich+Out of options Urena for a long term SP, trade one of Barraclough, Wittgren, or Ellington for an equal value LHP, sign Plouffe as a 80+ game starter at 1B/3B (allows Prado some LF time), and then sign another 1B/OF type to compete.

Realmuto, Ellis
      Bour, FA X, (Plouffe LHP)
      Gordon
      Hech, Rojas
      Prado, Plouffe
      Ozuna/Dietrich, FA X, (Prado)
      Yelich, Ichiro
      Stanton

Chen, Volquez, Conley, NEW SP FOR AJ+Ozuna/Dietrich, Koehler
      Ziegler, Phelps, Tazawa, McGowan, Barraclough/Witgren/Ellington, Locke, New LHP for one of B/W/E

AAA - One of Ellington/Wittgren, Cervanka, and Nicolino

That's pretty good to me if there are budget issues.

They could also just sign Travis Wood, Plouffe, keep AJ, Ozuna, and Dietrich, and trade a B/W/E reliever for an equal value LHP and does he same thing minus a long term SP (But you have Ramos and Ozuna/Dietrich so that's a wash)

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
        Not sure why everyone is trading Ramos when the stated goal was to build as deep a pen as possible. I think Ramos is very much part of that plan. Whether you agree with it or not, that's the plan. Now if it doesn't work, you can always trade him or any other arm during the year....but I think for now they're keeping all these arms.
        I think trading him would be a good idea, but you're right. This is the bullpen they're going with to start next year. Despite having no lefty, it's a pretty good pen.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
          They can trade Ramos and Ellington is still in AAA, that's pretty deep.

I think you move Ramos+Ozuna/Dietrich+Out of options Urena for a long term SP, trade one of Barraclough, Wittgren, or Ellington for an equal value LHP, sign Plouffe as a 80+ game starter at 1B/3B (allows Prado some LF time), and then sign another 1B/OF type to compete.

Realmuto, Ellis
          Bour, FA X, (Plouffe LHP)
          Gordon
          Hech, Rojas
          Prado, Plouffe
          Ozuna/Dietrich, FA X, (Prado)
          Yelich, Ichiro
          Stanton

Chen, Volquez, Conley, NEW SP FOR AJ+Ozuna/Dietrich, Koehler
          Ziegler, Phelps, Tazawa, McGowan, Barraclough/Witgren/Ellington, Locke, New LHP for one of B/W/E

AAA - One of Ellington/Wittgren, Cervanka, and Nicolino

That's pretty good to me if there are budget issues.

They could also just sign Travis Wood, Plouffe, keep AJ, Ozuna, and Dietrich, and trade a B/W/E reliever for an equal value LHP and does he same thing minus a long term SP (But you have Ramos and Ozuna/Dietrich so that's a wash)
          WOW what a stupid idea!!!! O wait I mentioned that LY as an idea they had nevermind

Actually if u sign Plouffe u can play him out in LF

They like Travis Wood alot the issue with him is he wants to be paid like a SP(3/30) kinda out of the price range at this moment

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
          Because Ramos can get u alot. I would keep him around at least till the deadline but if a Arizona offers a SP/Brandon Drury u have to listen OR a team offers a young ML RP and prospects

The "plan" seems to be keep guys around till ST then figure out whats going on

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
            I think trading him would be a good idea, but you're right. This is the bullpen they're going with to start next year. Despite having no lefty, it's a pretty good pen.
            Yup. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think trying to trade DD, Ramos, or Ozuna is overthinking it. I think they'll try and add someone like Napoli, and then if that fails, they'll turn to Plouffe or Reynolds. They'll also likely try to add another starter on a cheap deal...maybe a CJ Wilson or Fister if the market shrinks for him. They'll go into the year with this group and hope the lineup can score more runs.

It's not a bad plan considering the options available and I think this group can stay competitive.

At least if it fails, they have a lot of attractive trade pieces. And then hopefully the Loria sale talk heats up after the all star game.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            WOW what a stupid idea!!!! O wait I mentioned that LY as an idea they had nevermind

Actually if u sign Plouffe u can play him out in LF

They like Travis Wood alot the issue with him is he wants to be paid like a SP(3/30) kinda out of the price range at this moment

- - - - - - - - - -

Because Ramos can get u alot. I would keep him around at least till the deadline but if a Arizona offers a SP/Brandon Drury u have to listen OR a team offers a young ML RP and prospects

The "plan" seems to be keep guys around till ST then figure out whats going on
            Well obviously it depends on the deal. If there's a good controllable young SP to be had for Ramos, you'd have to do it.

Comment

• We have no reason to believe the Marlins have the foresight to do something as clever as add quality bullpen arms via FA to then turn around and trade their valuable bullpen arms for SP. They have never shown that kind of understanding of asset management. I would bet the most likely scenario is they trade one of their less valuable relievers for a meh return than ramos for a good return. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                We have no reason to believe the Marlins have the foresight to do something as clever as add quality bullpen arms via FA to then turn around and trade their valuable bullpen arms for SP. They have never shown that kind of understanding of asset management. I would bet the most likely scenario is they trade one of their less valuable relievers for a meh return than ramos for a good return. I hope I'm wrong, though.
                Totally, but we can hope.

Maybe they let Phelps start, trade B/W/E for a comparable lefty and it all makes sense with only Wittgren or Ellington and Cervanka in AAA which is very acceptable??????

Comment

• Signed another RP

Javy Guerra to minor league deal

Comment

• I don't know how you don't let Phelps start especially when there's that much BP depth.

It'd be one thing if he was blah again but dude was still lights out. I doubt anyone would be surprised if he finished as our best SP next year (which is saying more towards the crap we are throwing out...).

Comment

• What about a 4-man rotation/piggybacking next year?

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                        I don't know how you don't let Phelps start especially when there's that much BP depth.

It'd be one thing if he was blah again but dude was still lights out. I doubt anyone would be surprised if he finished as our best SP next year (which is saying more towards the crap we are throwing out...).
                        It really doesn't make sense, but Mattingly already said that they think he's most valuable in the pen, so I'm done harping on it.

Comment

• Also important to note, payroll is around $112-115 right now given reasonable arb projections.

Bullpen is currently going to cost $28 million range (more if Locke is moved there) - Ramos ($6.5), Phelps ($5), Ziegler ($7), Tazawa ($6), McGowan ($1.75), cost controlled 1(Barraclough), cost controlled 2(Wittgren/Ellington/Cervanka). That's insane to use basically 25% of your payroll on 35% of your innings, (To note, SP will be approximately $40 million), when you're looking at Ellington and Cervanka in AAA.

I just don't get it. But hey, they aren't done yet so we'll see. Really no reason to keep Ramos at all. It's a no brainer to turn him and Ozuna (because he won't resign longterm with Boras) into a young play now SP, get a lefty for Wittgren or Ellington, and sign some bat like Plouffe. It's a push for now, and a win longterm. We shall see.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                            Also important to note, payroll is around $112-115 right now given reasonable arb projections.

Bullpen is currently going to cost $28 million range (more if Locke is moved there) - Ramos ($6.5), Phelps ($5), Ziegler ($7), Tazawa ($6), McGowan ($1.75), cost controlled 1(Barraclough), cost controlled 2(Wittgren/Ellington/Cervanka). That's insane to use basically 25% of your payroll on 35% of your innings, (To note, SP will be approximately $40 million), when you're looking at Ellington and Cervanka in AAA.

I just don't get it. But hey, they aren't done yet so we'll see. Really no reason to keep Ramos at all. It's a no brainer to turn him and Ozuna (because he won't resign longterm with Boras) into a young play now SP, get a lefty for Wittgren or Ellington, and sign some bat like Plouffe. It's a push for now, and a win longterm. We shall see.
                            I am in your corner about Ozuna but they have been telling teams that ask about him OFF LIMITS. He might not sign long term with Jeff Loria but who knows in 2 years who the owner is? Seems they are happy to have his bat at the price he is getting given the # for Fowler and what others are asking for

The feeling around MLB is they keep AJ until the deadline and then if they are sucking to deal him off then. Jeff has this need to have a good team especially with the ASG here. Dont be surprised if we keep stuff now and if are sh#t at the trade deadline sell off pretty much everyone with any value but Yelich/JT and he just starts finding a buyer

When u gonna give us the roster cash breakdown??
                            Last edited by tjfla; 12-17-2016, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• By way u mentioned getting a LRP-before they signed about 100 of them to minor league deals and got Araujo(who they really like) off claim,Detroit did call us to see if we had interest in Justin Wilson. Havent heard much about it lately but assume they want young controllable stuff like a Wittgren/Ellington or even DD

We could probably talk to them if we want him but looks like they might let them all fight it out in ST.

One positive is we have 3 young guys if a team wants that(Bearclaw,Wittgren and Ellington) or vet(AJ). Another think people dont realize is Drew Steckenrider is in AAA and looks solid as well so if we did trade someone we still got more in AAA to replace them
                              Last edited by tjfla; 12-17-2016, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• Ramos' xFIP in 2016 was the worst of his career. Trading him (and the 40 saves that someone will overpay for) is the right move. They may not do it, though, because he is Giancarlo's BFF and/or the All Star Game.

Comment

Working...
                                X