Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins to Move in and Lower Fences for 2016

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com | @JoeFrisaro | August 26th, 2015 + 32 COMMENTS
    MIAMI -- On what is shaping up as a lengthy "to do" list for the Marlins in the offseason will be addressing the dimensions at spacious Marlins Park.

Team president David Samson said on Wednesday that the organization is considering moving in and lowering the fences at one of Major League Baseball's toughest places to hit home runs.
    "We haven't formulated a final plan," Samson told MLB.com. "Still looking, but trying to make a decision for next season."

The Marlins rank 29th in the Majors in home runs with 91, and are tied for 26th with Oakland with 42 homers at home.

Giancarlo Stanton has accounted for 13 of those long balls at Marlins Park. Martin Prado hit his fifth home run of the season at home (and sixth overall) during Wednesday's 7-2 loss to the Pirates. Justin Bour and J.T. Realmuto follow with four each. Christian Yelich and Marcell Ozuna, the club's regular left and center fielders, each have one home run this season at Marlins Park.

The dimensions of the park are 344 feet down the left-field line. From there, it extends to 386 feet in left-center and 418 feet in straightaway center. In right field it is 335 feet down the line, and 392 feet in right-center.

Along with being deep dimensions, the walls are high, ranging from 11 1/2 to 13 feet.

One modification is moving the fences in only from the base of the Home Run Sculpture in center to the 392 feet marker in right field.

Marlins Park was designed to be a pitchers' park, but the flip side is it has become a tough place for Miami to post power numbers.

Since the retractable-roof building opened in 2012, Miami has 192 home runs at home, which rates 29th out of 30 big league clubs. Only the Giants have fewer, with 165 at AT&T Park.
    As an organization, the Marlins have believed, with its wide gaps, the park would lend itself to more doubles. But that hasn't been the case. The Marlins rank last in the Majors in doubles at home, with 87. Since 2012, they've hit 460 doubles in Miami, which ranks 26th.

One theory some players say is because the park plays so big, outfielders play deeper than in most places, essentially playing a "no-doubles" style while being at normal depth.
    Because defenders are deeper, they will concede a bloop hit over a liner into the gaps.

From a pitching standpoint, the Marlins staff has been more effective at home. They're posting a 3.66 ERA in Miami, which is 16th best in the Majors. On the road, the ERA rises to 4.32. Since 2012, the Marlins have an identical 3.66 ERA at home, compared to 4.09 on the road.

"I think pitchers would like to see [the fences] moved back, and position players would like to see them moved in," Samson said. "It's an offseason issue."
    Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. He writes a blog, called The Fish Pond. Follow him on Twitter @JoeFrisaro and listen to his podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    http://m.mlb.com/news/article/145541...t-marlins-park

Here is my proposal:

Marlins Park Adjustments.jpg

The star is where the current out of town scoreboard ends. Orange is the current grandstand, yellow is currently landscaping which could be converted to seating, and green is the new landscaping.

60 more home runs next year! 12 by us!

Comment

Let me preface this by saying I haven't watched the Marlins regularly in a while, but I recall the ball carrying to right and absolutely dying in center and left center. I think the easiest answer is to bring the fences in from the left field line across to the batter's eye.

Any numbers saying we have fewer HR's hit to left is tilted by the fact that there's no left handed power.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
        60 more home runs next year! 12 by us!
        "At least it'll be entertaining!"
        -Dan Jennings

Comment

They won't do that because it would involve having to relocate the scoreboard in center. That is a lot of money.

Comment

can't they just bill you taxpayers for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Swifty View Post
              Let me preface this by saying I haven't watched the Marlins regularly in a while, but I recall the ball carrying to right and absolutely dying in center and left center. I think the easiest answer is to bring the fences in from the left field line across to the batter's eye.
              This is why guys like Bour and Dietrich regularly put balls in the upper deck in right field but only Stanton regularly puts them past the Clevelander in left. Honestly, they just need to move it in at centerfield. It's 420' to the deepest part of the park which is absolutely absurd. Why don't they just have the fence equal with the sculpture and make that, like 408', the deepest part of the park. Seems easy as shit to me but it's 2015 and we still haven't done it.

Comment

Team president David Samson said the club will move the fences next season, and is working on a plan to move them closer to the plate in some areas and lower them to a level that would enable outfielders to make leaping catches and on balls going over the fence.

“The thought of a left fielder jumping in the Clevelander [nightclub] is sort of awesome to me,” Samson said.
                http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...006-story.html

HUGE fan of both moves.

Comment

Once in a while the Marlins do something that makes sense and it just shocks the fuck out of you.

Comment

Anyone actually believe they did studies that showed we'd win more games?

Fucking hyped for them being confused as to why our team ERA skyrocketed in 2016.

Comment

Fucking hyped for them being confused as to why our team ERA skyrocketed in 2016.
                      Chuck Hernandez is gone by the second week of July
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                        Chuck Hernandez is gone by the second week of July
                        He's probably already gone this off-season.
                        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

It doesn't matter, man.

We're going to suck anyway.

Let the HR's fly

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                            He's probably already gone this off-season.
                            why do you say that?

staff wasn't bad given the injuries and he and Jose are tight
                            Originally posted by Madman81
                            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                              why do you say that?

staff wasn't bad given the injuries and he and Jose are tight
                              Just they told the staff that the new manager will hire his own staff and the current staff can start looking elsewhere.
                              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                              X