No announcement yet.

The Official National League Wild Card Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kinda do, they're ahead of us, can't just assume they're going to take the #1 spot
    --------------------
    they're also the only team in it besides us with a negative run differential
    Last edited by emkayseven; 08-23-2014, 12:32 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Yeah, the Cardinals matter. You drunk again, Hugg?

Comment

My point was this:

The Cardinals lost and we're 4 games out of the playoffs. If the Cardinals had won, we'd still be 4 games out of the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
          My point was this:

The Cardinals lost and we're 4 games out of the playoffs. If the Cardinals had won, we'd still be 4 games out of the playoffs.
          Your point makes sense, but the fish still have to pass 3 of the 4 teams ahead of us to get into the playoffs. So whether it's the Cardinals or Giants (whoever is in line to be the two wild card teams, we still need them to lose, no matter how many total games back we are.

Comment

Welp.

The Marlins need more magic and less 15 runners stranded on base.

And less Cisheck.

Comment

He's picked a wonderful time to become a gas can.

bobbob's gonna tell us we're overreacting about him
              --------------------
              ehe, he just did it on twitter
              --------------------
              of course, Cishek also has a .450 babip during this bad stretch
              Last edited by HUGG; 08-24-2014, 12:12 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Maybe I'm just naive, but I don't really buy in to babip for pitchers. If I pitched against an MLB roster my babip would be about .950. To me, if a guy has an extended period of allowing a higher babip then normal, that doesn't mean that he has been getting unlucky, it most likely means that he has been pitching poorly and guys have been taking advantage. If Ricky Nolasco is grooving mediocre fastballs and breaking balls right down the middle of the plate and guys are hitting doubles in the gaps left and right, he isn't getting unlucky, he is being very hittable.

Comment

It's very evident watching games that his stuff is not crisp at all. His velocity was there last night but the control was very questionable.

Comment

The pitches were up. The breaking ball wasnt sharp. He has been like this for awhile but just like everything else with team that sucks we will stay the course

Comment

Cishek's batted ball data this year is a cause for concern, and certainly a reason why his .BABIP is much higher.

With that said, his K/BB is better than ever so it's weird. His talent level is better than his 3.8 ERA, but it sucks that he's decided to suck at the worst possible time.

It's also a bad look since the rest of the bullpen has basically dominated during this span.

Comment

Originally posted by el nino View Post
                        Maybe I'm just naive, but I don't really buy in to babip for pitchers. If I pitched against an MLB roster my babip would be about .950. To me, if a guy has an extended period of allowing a higher babip then normal, that doesn't mean that he has been getting unlucky, it most likely means that he has been pitching poorly and guys have been taking advantage. If Ricky Nolasco is grooving mediocre fastballs and breaking balls right down the middle of the plate and guys are hitting doubles in the gaps left and right, he isn't getting unlucky, he is being very hittable.
                        The thing about BABIP isn't saying "there isn't a difference in players skill", but rather, "the difference is normally minimal, and the skill level of a 'major league pitcher' is almost always around .300."

There are certainly outliers (Nolasco on one end, Matt Cain on the other), and it's why it shouldn't be taken as a no-matter-what kind of thing. But it's generally better to assume a pitcher is part of the norm instead of an outlier until he proves it over a long stretch of time.

Comment

The bad news: we have two road series ahead vs LAA and ATL and we just lost 2 in a row vs the Rockies.

Good news: Giants and Braves have lost 2 in a row and Pirates and Cardinals both lost.

Comment

it was fun while it lasted, Daft

Comment

True, true

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                                it was fun while it lasted, Daft
                                This team.

3 games back.

At least Eovaldi isn't pitching in Marlins Park tonight.

One time, Nathan?

Comment

Working...
                                X