Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Does the Team Need to Contend for a Playoff Spot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
    No chance Kennedy and Upton go back?

I forgot about the Kimbrel trade. Gyorko and Alonso aren't good players.
    To San Diego? I doubt it, especially with the latter, but I suppose you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
      That was swift saying that, I agree with you. I'd personally start him over Bour but it's also whatever.

Also, I was wrong about how much $ we ahve to spend because I didn't realize Chen got a signing bonus of 8m. So at this point they're at nearly 75m. I doubt another SP is happening.
      Over $6-7 million of that is tied up with Phelps and Dunn, and throw in Koehler and that's over $10 million.

Basically, they can ditch Phelps and Dunn for nothing, sign someone like Fister for 2/$25, and probably be under $80 this season. They'd need a second lefty reliever (as Conley and Hand would likely be slated for that job), but I think we're all comfortable with Conley being one of those spots, letting camp decide the second, and the general RHP depth where it wouldn't be a major concern compared to acquiring 180 innings.

Let alone, they could still sign Fister for $10-12 and be a bottom 5 payroll. :-/

I don't think they are done. Maybe they don't get another starter, but I see another opportunistic move coming somewhere. They have to know they need 25+ more starts.

Comment

question: what happens if we get to july and are legitimate contenders who want to add pieces for a stretch run?

do we realistically have anything at all in this pathetic farm system that could be used in exchange for players to bolster the squad if that's the direction we want to go? would it come down to using a kolek/naylor type in any deal?

i suppose one component of making a deal would be eating salary from another team - i know that's somewhat laughable around here, but i do think the record at least shows loria being willing to spend cash when he thinks there's a real shot at winning.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
          Over $6-7 million of that is tied up with Phelps and Dunn, and throw in Koehler and that's over $10 million.

Basically, they can ditch Phelps and Dunn for nothing, sign someone like Fister for 2/$25, and probably be under $80 this season. They'd need a second lefty reliever (as Conley and Hand would likely be slated for that job), but I think we're all comfortable with Conley being one of those spots, letting camp decide the second, and the general RHP depth where it wouldn't be a major concern compared to acquiring 180 innings.

Let alone, they could still sign Fister for $10-12 and be a bottom 5 payroll. :-/

I don't think they are done. Maybe they don't get another starter, but I see another opportunistic move coming somewhere. They have to know they need 25+ more starts.
          Dunn has been getting alot of hits and Phelps is gonna be out of a job especially if we sign another SP. Looks like they wanna hold onto Koehler atleast for now.

Conley could move into Dunn's spot easily and on the 40 man u have-Lazo,Strong,Berry,Hand with Ege,Nappo,Narveson,Patton sitting in AAA

Comment

I see no reason for Conley to be anything but a starter to start next season, whether that's in the MLB or AAA.

Comment

Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                After signing a solid pitcher like Chen and adding Johnson to platoon with Bour, can the team be competitive next year? The Phillies/Braves are terrible.

The Mets pitching is obviously top notch, but their offense seems questionable, as well as their middle relief. The Nats look like the best overall team to me on paper, but they underachieved last year.

Can the team compete for a playoff spot if healthy? On the field, they seem to be at least above average at every position.
                Hmmmmmm.....after this Gnats series we may have our answer.

Comment

Working...
                X