Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marlins As Suitors for Jonathan Papelbon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumor: Marlins As Suitors for Jonathan Papelbon?

This would make no sense, but it's on the internet, so here you go:

6. Jonathan Papelbon, RHP, Philadelphia Phillies
    Papelbon is the best closer available on the present trade market, and teams like the Blue Jays, Rockies, Reds, Indians, Tigers and Marlins could certainly use him to improve the back end of their bullpens. The Phillies are willing to eat some of his salary for the right player return.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-offi.../post?id=10948

Think there's a reason Bowden isn't a GM anymore
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Looks like speculation on his part. Good, don't need him.

Comment

I'd be interested in Papelbon or at least ask for a price. But not to bring him in as back end of the bullpen but to stretch him out as a starter. He was a reliever in college but then started in the minors. I thought in his early majors career he was in the bullpen due to no space in the rotation and then just stuck there after becoming a solid closer. I could be wrong but I thought Boston had the intention of moving him back to the rotation eventually.

Everything obviously comes down to cost and I don't think the Marlins have the ability (prospects) to make this type of move but I could be wrong. The Marlins should have the ability to eat all of his remaining contract for this year ($13 mill) but he has a vesting option for 2016 so those details would be important to consider.

When I began thinking about this, I thought he had more experience starting in the minors and college than he did. Also thought Smoltz spent more time as a closer than he did as a precedent.

- - - - - - - - - -

I'd be interested in Papelbon or at least ask for a price. But not to bring him in as back end of the bullpen but to stretch him out as a starter. He was a reliever in college but then started in the minors. I thought in his early majors career he was in the bullpen due to no space in the rotation and then just stuck there after becoming a solid closer. I could be wrong but I thought Boston had the intention of moving him back to the rotation eventually.

Everything obviously comes down to cost and I don't think the Marlins have the ability (prospects) to make this type of move but I could be wrong. The Marlins should have the ability to eat all of his remaining contract for this year ($13 mill) but he has a vesting option for 2016 so those details would be important to consider.

When I began thinking about this, I thought he had more experience starting in the minors and college than he did. Also thought Smoltz spent more time as a closer than he did as a precedent.

Comment

Yeah lets mess with a really good bullpen by throwing a bad reliever with a sh*t attitude in the mix.

Our majors has really good depth in the 'pen, our minor league system has guys on the cusp of major league readiness. There is absolutely no reason the Marlins would have interest in him let alone any reliever at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
          Yeah lets mess with a really good bullpen by throwing a bad reliever with a sh*t attitude in the mix.

Our majors has really good depth in the 'pen, our minor league system has guys on the cusp of major league readiness. There is absolutely no reason the Marlins would have interest in him let alone any reliever at the moment.
          Not that I want him here, but since when is Papelbon a "bad reliever?" That's ridiculous.

Comment

Bad reliever was a poor choice of words. He's always been really good. It was more that I just don't like his over the top personality and don't want to spend significant money on a part of the team I feel is already decent.

Comment

Working...
            X